1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting In April

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stokiestaz, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Stokiestaz

Stokiestaz New Member

I am looking for some advice... I am from the uk and I will be travelling to Texas in April and while I am there I am looking to see some Astros games.

Just to give you an insight I have supported the Astros for around 6/7 years since I was in my teens and it has always been a dream to visit Minute Maid Park.

I am looking for some advice regarding, travel, accommodation, best places to sit in the stadium, food, sites... Or anything that you think might be of a benefit when I visit.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you are from the UK and were in your teens 6-7 years ago, this means you are ready to ENJOY the city. Now this is a really important question and will pretty much determine what kind of advice I give, but...what kind of music do you listen to?

(Hint: you will quickly find that Houston is an extremely diverse city, and posters will have extremely varying views about what a good time in Houston would constitute. Which is why the question above is so important.)

3. Buck Turgidson

What is your budget? How many days?

4. Stokiestaz

Stokiestaz New Member

I would say I listen to a lot of rock/indie music more than anything really. And I will be staying for a week with a budget of around 1000 dollars for the week. I can't wait!!

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

For hotels you'll probably want to stay either downtown or near the Galleria. Downtown is obviously closer to MMP and closer to most of the action in the city. You could also try airbnb if you don't mind staying with a host, looks like there are some affordable places downtown there.

If you are looking for nightlife, there is midtown (hip bar scene, lots of young 20s), westheimer/montrose (trendy/hipster but some nice relaxed places to eat and drink), and Downtown (Main St., somewhere in between the previous two but also more upscale). I would also recommend venturing into the Heights, not necessarily just nightlife but maybe for food and different atmosphere, but you need to know where you are going because it is mostly residential.

Food could go on and on so you might have to throw out some food types, and if you can list some other things you like to do maybe we can help. Houston is not a tourist town but there is plenty to do. Breweries, museums, parks, etc.

MMP- my favorite seating is club level, mostly because it is more spacious and comfortable. Of course the lower level is closer to the action. I've never sat in the Crawford boxes but have always wanted to, so consider there too.

There is almost no public transport. Light rail from downtown to midtown is all you might consider using. Otherwise the Uber app is your best friend.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The rail travels to more than just midtown you know. You could take the rail to the museum district and go to the Zoo.

If I'm OP I'd stay in downtown and use Uber to get to the ball park, rail to see the beautiful museum district and he could also take the purple rail to eat at Ninfa's.

7. DieHard Rocket

Good call, didn't think about taking the rail down to the museum district. Hermann Park and especially their new Centennial Gardens would be good to see.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Tell us more about what you like & your budget. Houston has a lot to offer.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe just me, but I like driving around and really seeing a city. Uber is great for a few quick trips, however rental car companies have deals <$80/week. The freedom and convenience of having wheels 24/7 is great, plus you can keep more personal items with you wherever you go. Avoid high priced parking by parking a mile away from places, then let Uber, taxi, or a bus finish the trip.

Like most mentioned, Midtown (just south of downtown) is the spot right now... clubs, bars, restaurants.

Washington Street (2 miles west of downtown) is good too.

I haven't really messed with the night life in a while, but there's plenty to do throughout the city.

10. DieHard Rocket

Being from the UK, I wouldn't recommend that he drive here. Just as I am scared ****less to drive over there. (i.e. opposite side of the road)

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If it were me, and I were you, I would want someone to tell me to stay somewhere around Rice University. I'd hit the Minute Maid and downtown areas during game days, and probably mid-town on off days. I'd also get out of Houston and visit Austin while I was here. It's not far and it's worth the trip. I'd go to Galveston and drink at Brews Brothers. I'd eat a lot of BBQ. I'd take full advantage of my ridiculous accent and get LAID ALL THE TIME. Trust me on that one. I'd go to NASA because SPACE. I'd eat my weight in Mexican food. I'd rent the biggest pickup truck I could find and drive as slowly as possible in the fast lane. People in Texas love it when you do that. Most importantly, and I might have mentioned this before, but I would take advantage of my ridiculous accent and get LAID ALL THE TIME.

I hope this helps...

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Stay away from the galleria. Montrose, museum district, Heights, and parts of midtown and the east side are where you want to be. Tough to make $1000 stretch through a whole week if you're using that for a hotel and food and commuting, but if you have to then I recommend Airbnb.

13. Buck Turgidson

Last Concert Cafe

14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A 1000 budget for a week will be tight A low estimate for a room would be $100 a night.

Ticket to the game, food, transportation. It's going to be tough on $1000 for a week

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Good lord man, if he stays away from all of that, what else does this city have to offer?

If you decide to stay downtown though, keep in mind that you can get cab rides for $6 anywhere in downtown from any cab co., no matter how many people. The range scope of downtown isnt all that big though, so make sure with the cab companies beforehand when you call them or hail them. Minute Maid Park is however in that scope, so you would at least have that and a few bars in and around downtown. Utilize the rail and hope you have fun.

http://www.houstontx.gov/downtowncab/