1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense and Leadership The Plague of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Feb 11, 2016.

1. RocketMania1991

These are 2 key features the team clearly lacks this year.

Defensive Rotations are horrible, even with Dwight being injured this year and coming in/out of the line-up we have no excuse. Ariza has always been a great defender as has Pbev. Players are late on assignments and just leaving guys wide open, inexcusable.

Unfortunately the above problem comes down to coaching, something we clearly lack, the Rockets are far below-average in this aspect. Firing Mchale was obviously wrong and I think Morey surely has to realize he made a mistake (Or Les pressured him into it)

Morey could not have possibly thought Bickerstaff>Mchale? Promoting one person head coach was not going to solve the problems that existed within this team.

I have been following the Rockets for a very long time now, and I don't recall a team more frustrating than this to watch. I look at the line-up the team deploys now and I would argue its the best assembled roster the Rockets have had in over 10-15 years, since maybe even the post-championship days. But unfortunately things are not clicking, compounded by a coach that is going to be replaced by seasons end and a team that has no structural or fundamental philosophy/strategy.

The players are evidently getting frustrated, the Rockets and Morey are in a position I don't think they have been in a very longtime. Morey is going to have to make some tough choices very soon. It should be interesting, I don't think Morey is looking to be in a rebuilding mode (neither is Harden/Howard), especially coming off the taste of the Western Conference Finals and finally feeling like he had begun to assemble his team and acquired his stars.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup these two problems are by far the top issues for this team. All of the other talk about offense and integration fall behind this.

3. arjun

arjun Member

I think it's all leadership.

Look at how Paul George, LBJ, CP3, all talk to their teammates. harden puts his head down.

The team takes on the personality of its best player, and we have taken on Harden's bad qualities unfortunately (complacency, careless, no attention to detail, no mental toughness)

that being said, i think the solution is to bring in a player who can actually be a leader and is as good as Harden. Dwight is awesome, but we really need a true 2nd star on this team who can drop 40 on a given night.

1 person likes this.
  4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The one thing that this team does not lack is talent. However, here are some thing this team clearly lacks:

Focus
    Professionalism
    Leadership
    Energy
    Chemistry

All things that people would consider are intangibles. It's sad but I don't really blame Morey with for this one.....yes I suppose he should have predicted that this particular bunch lacks these intangibles but on paper he's assembled a hell of a roster.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Bring in Markieff!! Its just crazy enough to work haha

6. RocketMania1991

I agree, most talented roster in 20 years, most frustrating team to watch in 20 years.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's simple. It falls on the leader Harden. When teammates see this guy play garbage defense, in fact not even try on defense, it rubs off on them. Why should they repeatedly cover the back for a guy who gives zero effort on D just to go down the other end and take all the plaudits?

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We have no leaders who are capable of holding anybody accountable. Trevor Ariza would be my choice. James doesn't play any D so gets no respect, D12 isn't smart enough to stay in games to help. He loafs at his discretion.

Your best player has to play both ends of the court and everyone will follow.

9. Drogba

Drogba Member

Absolutely false. The best player in the League right now is a poor defender. So was Magic. So was Charles Barkley.

Dwight Howard's supposed to be this teams defensive anchor and leader on that end of the court not Harden. It's the only reason he was brought here. He's the three time defensive player of the Year not Harden. The Warriors play elite D because of Draymond & Bogut not because of Curry. Same thing with the Spurs and Tim Duncan.

1 person likes this.
  10. NickKent

NickKent Member

PnR defense is horrible over and over again. There's no philosophy. Somethings we hedge high, sometimes we switch, sometimes we ice, it's just random as hell, whatever is easiest/laziest for them to do.

11. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

It's so funny that's what the Rockets brought Dwight howard to do. To defend and lead. He's failed miserably

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes. You are 100% correct! Yes yes yes!

It's always been Harden. When our defense improved last year, it was because Harden was making an effort to improve. Last year Harden was always talking about wanting to be a great leader. This year, Harden is only leading us in the wrong direction.

Something has changed with Harden. His heart just isn't in it. Maybe he wants to be traded. Maybe he doesn't want to give the effort night in night out in the regular season. Maybe Harden looks at how dominant the Warriors are and he thinks why even try. I don't know what the problem is with Harden. But, it all begins and ends with Harden.

The Rockets can change coaches every week if they want. But, if Harden isn't ready to be a true leader in every way, then it won't make any difference.

Morey has to decide if Harden is the right guy to build around. It all begins and ends with Harden.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There have been several good defensive teams in NBA history that were led by bad defenders.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Agreed.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

people continue to believe that but he's actually not as bad as you make it out to be.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

ask yourself this how do you lead players who don't listen and have no idea how to play good defense

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Being a bad defender is one thing but showing absolutely no effort or not even trying at the defensive end is unacceptable

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

It's his team. He needs to find a way to lead these guys on that end of the court. Here's the problem if he's not a good defensive player why would the others listen? All those rebounding numbers are misleading, Dwight simply has not brought the elite level defense he's supposed to bring go the Rockets. That was his calling card that was his forte

19. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

But Harden isn't a bad defender. He's shown that when he is engaged and focus he's actually decent. It's all about effort with him and that is what rubs his team mates the wrong way. Why should I bust my butt when the so call franchise player doesn't?

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i get the feeling Dwight is the leader in the locker room, always trying to lift his team mates up after a loss