1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Jan 28, 2016.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Okay guys and girls bare with me on this.

I have been messing around with numbers and Bima pls correct anything that is wrong, as im sure it's a lot.

Ok here we go

This morning at the gym I was thinking about ways in which this rockets team could become elite by next season and a lot of it is players buying in but also cap management.

Assuming the incoming cap for 16/17 is 89 million, I was thinking to my self how could we grab more elite talent without gutting the whole team?

If dwight options out which we all assume is happening even if he does intend to stay in Houston. What would our salary cap look like.

James Harden - 16.78 mil
    Trevor Ariza - 7.8 mil
    Corey Brewer - 7.6 mil
    Patrick Beverley - 6 mil
    Kj McDaniels - 3.33 mil
    Sam Dekker - 1.72 mil
    Clint Capela - 1.29 mil
    Montrezl Harrell - 1 mil

Coming to a total of 45.52 mil

Now this is were it gets tricky

Unload Corey Brewer and KJ McDaniels for no incoming salary

This would bring the team salary down to 34.59 mil

Leaving us with roughly 54 mil in salary cap space.

Now this is were it gets tricky and Honestly your counting on a few things.

1) The Warriors win the championship in easy fashion

2) Harden and Howard really coming together to persuade these two players im about to mention that together they could have the formula to beat the Warriors who are not going anywere anytime soon.

3)take a pay cut to make it happen (hardest part)

First things first resign Howard to a 17.5 mil a year deal over 4 years with a player option for the final season.

This would bring the salary of the team to around 52.1 mil leaving the rockets with roughly 36.9 mil in available salary cap.

Now this is were reasons 1 and 2 really come into play

Sign kevin Durant and Al Horford with the remaining salary

Durant takes 20 mil a year with a player option after the first season to re-up with the cap rising again

Horford takes a 16.9 mil a year deal for 4 years with the last being a player option.

This takes our payroll to right at 89 mil with only 9 guaranteed contracts on the roster.

Now you fill out the remaining spots with vet min players who can contribute in a small role like a Aaron Brooks/Brandon Rush type player

Bev/Brooks
    Harden/Rush
    Durant/Ariza/dekker
    Horford/Harrell/smith
    Dwight/Capela

Once again Bima pls help me out here because im sure I got something wrong and all this is for nothing.

But that's a championship caliber team with versatility and options to go big or small with a decent bench but the best starting 5 in basketball.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

That probably is what it would take to beat the Warriors

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Damn, man. You're way too invested. Calm down.

I think about the Rockets a lot, believe me. But certainly not during my gym time. Not with all those girls / women and their yoga pant asses around.

4. rockets13champs

Im thinking about chasing durant and conley

5. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah but who's the coach?

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Its all lie. He doesn't even lift.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Horford and Durant = max
    Dwight = over 22 at least.
    Plus you have to account for Dwight's cap hold.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean it does depend.

I do think if GSW's dominance continues through the playoffs and gives them a 2nd championship that another super team will form centered around Durant.

Where that will be though who knows.

9. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

You're one of those guys who creeps on women at the gym bruh?

10. hlcc

hlcc Member

What happened to Lawson? also are you assuming we are just letting Terrence Jones & Dmo walk?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston_rockets/
    If I'm reading this correctly, Lawson is still under contract for $13.2 million in 2016/17

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Do you even lift?

12. onreego

onreego Member

When he was traded he agreed to make his final year a team option I believe.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Horford is not a max player

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That's kind of what I'm banking on is that Golden State makes it looks easier than it was for them last year and wins another chip.

I agree Durant is the focal point of all this but he does have to choose wisely of what team he will go to In order to create his super team. He needs to go to a place that already has a superstar or two and ready to roll and imo there's really nothing better than Houston or I guess Golden state but I don't see him doing that.

Remember all the big 3 in Miami took less than 20 mil a year I do think you can gy dwight to re-up at 17-18 mil a year on a 4 year deal if he knows KD and Horford are coming, I also think Horford is the type of guy who would take 16-17 mil to go to a real contender.

Durant is the wildcard it all depends on him will he take 20mil even for just one year? I think he may but only if he feels the rockets constructed that way can beat GS. He makes 30 mil a year from Nike among other endorsements he has so I don't know that the extra 4-5 mil he can get other places is going to be that big a deal.

I just think all theses players have to really think long and hard about were they go this offseason? Golden state is not going anywere there core is all young and locked up for a lot of years.

I'm I don't see Durant staying in okc for this very reason. Unless they win it all this season what if going to make him think he ever will playing with Westbrook? Okc had no cap space to make any moves this summer so I don't see it but only time will tell I guess.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Like having a yacht and nobody to navigate the waters. What a god damn shame.

16. hlcc

hlcc Member

Thanks, didn't know that. I bet he's regretting that decision now.

My problem with the scenario that the OP is proposing; don't this scenario apply to practically every team next year?

17. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Even if you could get Durant / Harden to play together, how it would be any better than Durant / Westbrook. In Okc, they basically just take turns ISOing. I fully expect the same thing to happen on the Rockets too. Even right now, we have a ton of talent, *on paper*.

We don't have a system, like the Warriors - and getting Durant isn't going to make that system come about.

18. You Stone

You Stone Member

These threads happen when the Spurs.

I don't get how every single one of their big men can knock down the open 15-18 foot mid range jumper (Aldridge, West, Duncan, Diaw) and the Rockets don't have anyone who dares to take one night in and night out.

They make you respect each of their shooting abilities (no matter how many tries it takes) and they then beat you. Popp sees you giving a couple of feet to Diaw and he calls a play to penetrate and find him for the shot.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think so I read somthing about a week ago that the amount of teams with cap space is not as many as people think.

Also you have to factor in the players that are already here? Playing with Harden and Howard alone is better than lets say Washington with wall and beal who went even a .500 Ball club this year.

He can get to Golden state and obviously that's the best team he can go to but I'm betting on Durant having some since of pride and not joining a team that already is breaking NBA records and winning championships with out him.

The clippers would be good but the would have to trade blake Griffins for him which would make both team happy but I don't know if it's better than harden howard and horford. You got the Knicks with melo and porzingas which is intriguing to me and I think could be a dark horse option for KD.

But other than that I don't see him going to anywere else

Okc
    Houston
    GS
    Knicks
    Clippers

Those are the only options imo that are going to be in play for KD when the time comes this summer.

20. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

I don't see why Durant would choose to come to the Rockets TBH. I mean he probably has a better chance of winning in OKC than here, I'm pretty sure Presti & Westbrook will convince him to stay in OKC, especially when they can offer him more money to re-up, I'll be happy if we somehow get Horford though.