1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Reich on Why Sanders is his pick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 26, 2016.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Reich has been pretty supportive of Hillary and has said in the past that he would work in a Hillary administration.. His reasons are telling. Hillary is a good politician to maintain the status quo. Robert Reich has definitely kept his brand as a truth teller with this endorsement. Hopefully Elizabeth Warren will do this as well.

In a startling upset for the Clinton campaign, Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor for the Clinton administration, has come out in support of Bernie Sanders in a searing blog post that gets to the “volcanic core” of what this election is truly about.

“I’ve known Hillary Clinton since she was 19 years old, and have nothing but respect for her. In my view, she’s the most qualified candidate for president of the political system we now have,” Reich said. “But Bernie Sanders is the most qualified candidate to create the political system we should have, because he’s leading a political movement for change].”

Reich referenced a Princeton survey that included analysis of 1,799 policy issues from 1981 to 2002, and which ultimately concluded that “The preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically insignificant impact upon public policy.” Reich added that since 2002, the Citizens United and McCutcheon decisions have only “opened the floodgates to big money” even more.

Laughing off Bill Clinton’s assertion that Bernie Sanders’s health plan was a “recipe for gridlock,” Reich wrote that “these days, nothing of any significance is feasible and every bold idea is a recipe for gridlock.”

“Detailed policy proposals are as relevant to the election of 2016 as is that gaseous planet beyond Pluto,” Reich said. “They don’t have a chance of making it, as things are now.”

Therefore: “This election is about changing the parameters of what’s feasible and ending the choke hold of big money on our political system… The upcoming election isn’t about detailed policy proposals. It’s about power – whether those who have it will keep it, or whether average Americans will get some as well.”
    http://usuncut.com/politics/robert-reich-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-best-candidate/

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the tide is turning?

does bernie actually have a chance to be president? i don't think bernie could beat mccain or romney. he actually has a chance though if he makes it out of the primaries against this joke lineup though.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I like Sanders because I know he can't be bought. The dude looks like he's about to die anyway, so what would he do with the money?

4. glynch

Bernie against richy rich Romney or McCain? I think the most similar candidate is Jeb or possibly Kasich, respectable typical Republicans, not too crazy and they can't even appeal to many Republicans. Things have turned.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If Trump or Cruz were to win the primary, Sanders would probably have a great shot at winning. They've both hurt Hillary's "electability" argument.

Still, I'm going with Hillary this time. Her Tracy Flickness has grown on me.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

More importantly, in his decades serving American people he could have chosen positions which made him as rich as the Clintons but he didn't.

There's no post-presidency job offer or campaign donation big enough to make up for all the money he passed on, which his colleagues were raking in by pandering to big money all these years.

I saw a study the other day which showed virtually all organizations endorsing Hillary were ones where the board would decide, and virtually all organizations endorsing Bernie were ones where the members had a direct say in the endorsement. There are obviously fewer of the latter, but that says a lot.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

so basically he's saying...don't worry about Bernie's policies. It's all about the movement.

That'll be a tough sell in a national.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Robert Reich will get behind Clinton after she wins the nomination and Bernie Sanders goes back to doing liberal radio interviews with Ed Schultz and scrubbing the deck on the USS Mondale.

9. glynch

Not really. He is responding to the idea advanced one way or another by Hillary, Bill Chelsea and many of Hillary'sincreasingly desperate r surrogates that Hillary is better due to her talking about small details to nibble around the edges of expanding Obamacare or doing a bit more regulation of the too big to fail banks while Sanders is talking about bigger changes. They are also claiming that Hillary has more experience due in part to being the president's wife and an appointed Secretary of State.

As we are seeing Sanders actually has more experience as an elected official in Washington and as a campaigner which is why he is against the odds continually gaining against Hillary despite the Democratic establishment and the media.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

the blog post from which the article is written is interesting too. He's both equating (very bad choice of words on my part) and differentiating between Trump and Sanders. Outsiders under less influence to big money -- to Hillary, and I suppose the others in the race.

His main issue is the influence of money on governance.

Not so much a slam on Hillary as to one one the system as a whole.

...and glynch (and others) -- regardless of your thoughts on Hillary -- her resume is good. Among the best for presidential candidates. Her credentials extend well beyond being the 'president's wife.' That's a bit misogynistic given her experience. Even if you disagree with her and what she stands for.