1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the starting QB for week 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Haymitch, Jan 13, 2016.

?

Who will be the starting QB for week 1?

1. Rookie

13.6%
  2. Mediocre retread

56.8%
  3. Formerly great QB

20.5%
  4. Bill O'Brien will start himself at QB

9.1%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just curious how CF thinks the Texans will go with QB next year. Not who you think they should, but who you think they actually will.

A rookie like Wentz, Hack, or trading up for Lynch/Goff.

A mediocre retread like Kaepernick, Hoyer, Mallett, or Griffin. (How I define this term: Whether they were pretty good or pretty bad before, going forward they almost certainly will be average at best.)

Formerly great QB like Brees or Manning.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping for a Brees or Manning. I would feel much better about those guys for a season or two while we groom a replacement.

3. conquistador#11

hoping for brees too, but we probably start matt cassel =/ knows the system guys!

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

RG3 or a Rookie. Probably a rookie.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Brees
    Stafford
    Rg3

Gotta land one of them

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Brandon Weeden, T.J. Yates, Case Keenum, Tom Savage

Mediocre retread for $1000 Alex.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We're the Houston Texans. Mediocre retread is the obvious answer until proven otherwise.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping that with McNair putting pressure on B'OB and Rick Smith to finally solve the QB problem that we don't get yet another one of these.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's very unlikely to be a rookie. There will be the whole "he needs to sit and learn" routine, which is probably the appropriate path. I don't think any of these guys are really good enough to come in and start right away. They may end up starting at some point, but they have to at least go through the motions of the rookie sitting and learning first. Remember that Chad Henne started the first couple of games over Bortles, Hoyer started over Manziel, and Matt Cassel would've started over Bridgewater had he not got injured in preseason. We're not going to get someone like Luck, Winston, or Mariota that can really step in and play right away.

Don't see us getting a Manning or Brees and I wouldn't call either Kaepernick or RGIII "formerly great". Don't see us getting one of those two either.

So I voted "mediocre retread". If not Hoyer then somebody in that Hoyer/Fitz mold. I actually think Hoyer stays with the team as a vet to mentor a rookie. He knows OB's system better than any other vet out there so it make sense.

The Wild Card is that it will be Savage, at least initially. He was a project QB who's put in his time developing behind the scenes and has been learning OB's system for 2 years. If they're not going going to start a rookie immediately then this could be Savage's chance.

#9 Cannonball, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. Cannonball

Solving and attempting to solve are two different things. They can, and probably will, draft a guy. But the odds of any QB draft pick panning out aren't exactly great. None of these QBs may do anything in the league. There's not always a good option available. There wasn't last year. People need to keep that in mind.

Just don't assume that drafting somebody will necessarily "solve" anything.

#10 Cannonball, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think fans need to understand that while urgency is preferred, and I'm sure the Texans will kick a lot of tires... Look, BOB isn't actively seeking mediocre QBs - that's just all that's usually available.

I think Brees or Rivers would be a tremendous get for this team. But wanting that to happen has to, at some point, intersect with reality - and if NO/SD aren't willing to deal... then we can't hold BOB accountable for that. I'm cool with them bringing in Kaep, RG3 - any and every former starter that might have a shred of potential left. But teams aren't in the habit of letting good QBs walk and so I think those expectations have to be properly calibrated, too.

They're in a terrible situation; some of which is their own doing (should they have drafted Bortles or Carr?...) But wanting a QB and getting a QB... there's a Grand Canyon-sized difference between the two.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hmm, I disagree with this. He actively sought Fitz, Hoyer and Mallet (who is below mediocre).

He had a chance to draft QBs early and never has. Didn't really seem to try to jump into an trades for quality QBs either.

Similar to what he did at the rb, WR, and te positions come to think of it.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is the poll who we want to start or who we think will start?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Who else was available?

What quality QBs have been traded since BOB's hiring?

He has to take responsibility for not drafting one; that I agree with.

He's actuallyinvested quite a few resources into all three positions, especially considering he inherited Foster, AJ and DHop.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hopefully Brees, probably Savage.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Most likely as of right now?

1) Savage
    2) Hoyer
    3) Rookie
    4) Peyton/Brees
    5) Retread

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Brian Hoyer

Rocket River

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ideal for me would be the rookie. That is, assuming the rookie beats out both Savage and the "mediocre retread". I hate to use examples from other teams because so much is different but I will reference how the seahawks found R. Wilson.

If I had to make a bet, I'll bet on "mediocre retread".

19. Cannonball

You say "never" as if he's been here a long time. It's been 2 years. He could've drafted Bortles over Clowney I guess. Our judgment has been clouded by Clowney's injuries, but choosing to draft Clowney made total sense in context. He could've drafted Carr or Garoppolo in the 2nd, that's fair. But there was nobody to draft last year. Winston and Mariota went 1 and 2 and there was nobody worth a damn after that. The 3rd QB, Garrett Grayson, didn't go until pick #75. So "never has" really equates to not spending a 2nd rounder in 2014. (He did take Savage in the 4th).

It's not the continual refusal to draft a QB you make it out to be.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well in the draft he cos have taken Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Garapolo. Not saying he should have taken any one in particular, but he didn't seem to have any interest.

Sam Bradford was traded. Not saying he's great, but better than mediocre at least.

He invested a lot of resources into TE, RB, and WR? Wow, hard to tell.