1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The All-Encompassing Watt Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

who are the other major candidates for DPOY? Luke Kuechly..Khalil Mack?

2. the shark

the shark Member

Josh Norman (CAR).

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Peterson from Arizona, Donald from St. Louis and what the shark said, Norman.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There might as well not be any.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Watt didn't do anything today, the race might have been closer. But I agree, Watt basically cemented his 3rd DPoY with his numbers against JAX.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Mack could have gotten himself into contention if he did anything today, but he didn't.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

so irked Watt didn't get that last sack to become the sack leader this season. I wish Covington would've let Watt get that but he probably wasn't aware of it or didn't care.

8. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

He didn't need it, he's the league leader by 2.5 sacks.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Newsflash: he was in contention going into today.

10. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

If he didn't have to play with a cast on his hand the last three weeks, he definitely would've broke 20 sacks again

would've been unreal

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, then he did basically nothing at all today and took himself out of contention. Really the only reason he was ever in contention was one really crazy game where he got 5 sacks, otherwise, he was just Whitney Mercilus.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I saw Covington make the sack and Watt fall on the guy when he was basically already on the ground. What should Covington have done? Not play the down?

13. Remix

Remix Member

JJ is pretty much on his way to a 3rd DPOY award tying Lawrence Taylor for most all time. Every other multiple time winner is in the HOF.

We get a lot of JJ overload here, but we have to appreciate we're pretty much watching a HOF career take place, and at the pace he's at when it's all said and done he can go down as arguably the greatest of all time.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Watt is the best Defensive player in the league but I think the voters will give it to Josh Norman just to change it up a bit.

If jj watt hadn't hadn't broken his hand, he would've had this award easily.

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

If they were going to choose a DB, why would they choose Norman over Marcus Peters?

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Exactly! Peters had a ridiculous year and should be Rookie of the Year, but I wouldn't think he would be DPOY as a rook.

17. vince

vince Member

Agreed that Watt made a huge bid for his third DPOY... He is awesome, plus he is a great spokesman for the league. An overwhelming league favorite marquee player, very legit HF.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Peters is not even the best CB in his division. Interceptions is not the end-all for that position. He has had a remarkable season and deserves the accolades but he's no dpoy.

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Statistically, it's hard to say any CB was better than Peters. And it's not just interceptions, he also led the league in passes defensed, and he had as many defensive TDs as anyone else in the league. I'm not arguing that he should be DPOY. I'm just saying that if it were going to be a DB, it should be him. I definitely think Watt should be DPOY because I think he impacts the game (and his team's success) more than any other defensive player. Also doesn't hurt that he puts up monster stats.

20. Buck Turgidson

Does anyone have the season total PFF grades for all defensive players? Pretty sure what I'm looking for is behind the paywall on their site.