1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Greatest Shots in Rockets History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did anyone see this?

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/te...05981888-roundtable120815top5shots.mp4-187538

Just watched it... good list but not sure I agree with all of it, particularly Steve Novak's shot. I'd go:

1. Mario Elie "Kiss of Death" shot, Game 7 1995 West Semis vs. Suns
    2. Ralph Sampson's buzzer-beater, Game 5 1986 WCF vs. Lakers
    3. Kenny Smith's three, Game 1 1995 NBA Finals vs. Orlando
    4. Hakeem Olajuwon's Overtime Tip, Game 1 1995 NBA Finals vs. Orlando
    5a. Eddie Johnson's shot, Game 4 1997 WCF vs. Jazz
    5b. Vernon Maxwell's three, Game 7 1994 NBA Finals vs. Knicks
    5c. Sam Cassell's three, Game 3 1994 NBA Finals vs. Knicks

I don't like having two shots from the same game but both are pretty iconic, in my opinion. I understand Eddie's shot didn't win the series... in fact, the Rockets lost the next two games, but that was a big buzzer-beater in the Western Conference Finals (and I'm partial to game-winners). However, I could be convinced to put Maxwell's shot on the list instead of Eddie's because of what it ultimately meant.

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't watch your link but 5b has to be #1.

It was the moment we all KNEW the Rockets were going to win their first championship. Will never forget the feeling after that bucket.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ASxTyFlLYso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favorite moment in NBA history!

3. alethios

alethios Member

I second this, but only by a smidge. That buzzer beater by Sampson against the Lakers was SO EPIC!

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I did immediately think of that Steve Novak shot before opening this thread. Not to say I'd put it in my top 5.

But, we should consider doing a two Top 5 lists.

Top Five shots in a Playoff Series
    Top Five shots in the Regular Season

And then, maybe also best Pre-Season Game ever, so we can remember Kelvin Cato.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Link had...

1) Kiss of Death
    2) Sampson vs Lakers
    3) Kenny Smith's 7th 3PT Game 1 vs Magic
    4) Cassell 3PT Game 3 vs Knicks
    5) Novac 3PT vs Sac (game 8 of 22-game winning streak)

________

Great memories

Rockets can be argued as Top 5 franchise. Top 10 is irrefutable.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

I put Maxwell's shot as #1 because that the sealed the Rockets first championship, It was beyond surreal. On top of that, the whole city went loco honking horns all night long after that night.

We were all jumping up and down like Mattress Mack

1. Maxwell's 3 in Game 7
    2. Ralph Sampson's buzzer beater against the Lakers to take us to the Finals
    3. Kiss of Death
    4. Kenny's 3 vs the Orlando
    5. Sam Cassell vs the Knicks

#6 tinman, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    macho GRANDE and Junkyard Dog like this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

The best thing about that shot by Sampson was the physical nature of the game against the Lakers, who were favored to win. There was so much animosity and hard fouling going on, which eventually took Akeem out of the game. To have Sampson make that shot and stun the Laker players and fans was the best thing that I can remember aside from actually winning the championship in '94 and '95.

saleem and B-Bob like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The look on the people of LA was priceless. Just like that Clippers series.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I like this thread, it feels like we're talking among friends not random people on the internet.

it feels like we love clutch city.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

1994 might be Houston's signature year. Rockets on many levels (15-0 start, Olajuwon DPOY/MVP/FMVP, Clutch City comeback, 1st championship), Bagwell's MVP (absurd stats), Scarface's classic album Diary. Amazing times. There's chance to soon repeat similar success with Rockets and Astros, and a QB with Watt. Stros have a REAL chance this season.

Sampson's shot was before my time, but I can only imagine how huge it was in the moment. Was that bigger surprise than LAC last season? Can only imagine seeing Olajuwon gamely during his absolute athletic peak and Sampson too... must've been nice.

#10 Houstunna, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ralph's shot will always be number one on my list. It was against the defending champion Lakers. A Laker team that featured Magic, Kareem, worthy. It was also the greatest game in Rockets history in my opinion. That game had everything. Fights, ejections and heroic performances. The Lakers were desperate for a win and gave it all they had, but Ralph's shot was a dagger that killed a giant. Rocket players of today should watch that game to see how real men play basketball.

saleem, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Those would more than likely be my top 5 as well. Nostalgia at it's finest. I love talking the glory days. Sometimes looking back I can't believe how long it's been for a lot of these.

13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Ralph's would be #1 on my list also.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sampson's shot is #1 for me. I was a senior in high school in 1986 and I remember watching that game with one of my buddies and both of us just losing our **** after that shot.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Also in a similar fashion maybe the greatest moment in Rocket history can include the big shots that Josh Smith and Robert Horry hit. Josh Smith gave the Rockets life in season that would have been a failure for James Harden and the team if he did not. Robert Horry hit many big shots to close out teams or to combat teams that were trying to make runs during games. I know this is somewhat of a different category, but both players were involved in great moment in Rockets history.

saleem likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Honorable Mention
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GHKWJ8yCqBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes it was because the Lakers were defending champions, it was in LA, Dream got ejected from the game.

That Laker team was PRIME SHOWTIME with Magic and Kareem. That team would beat every team this decade with ease.

The raw potential of Dream/Sampson was on full display. Sampson was KG/Dirk before being a 7 foot with handles was popular.

The Clippers were series was amazing, but the Clippers were not the Showtime Lakers.

saleem and Plowman like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

These lists are always littered with playoff game winners from the title seasons (for good reason). So I'm gonna go a little different direction. Top 5 shot's not related to the title seasons, at least most memorable for me. Wasn't a fan until 92, so no Ralph either.

It was in early regular season game, and the shot wasn't as important as the events that led up to it, but T-Mac's 3 to cap off 13 in 35 sticks in my memory

Another one is game 1 versus the Lakers in 09, when we thought Yao was hurt but he came back. He made a jumper, and for a brief time, I thought a title was actually a real possibility, that this was the breakthrough.

1.Eddie Johnson
    2.T-Mac 13 in 35
    3.Yao return jumper v Lakers
    4.Novak to extend the streak
    5.Francis game tying 3 in Shaq v Yao 1

bro2044 likes this.
  19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't remember the shot from Ralph, was too young, but I understand it's context.

I know they were in the finals in 81, but they were 40-42.

I think that shot by Ralph put the Rockets on the map as an NBA Franchise.

My personal favorite was Eddie Johnson. The ball hung up in the air for what it seemed like an eternity. It's too bad we lost the series.

I knew Clyde Drexler was going to miss that layup in game 1 vs Orlando.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

well said breh

saleem likes this.