1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey - this is your mess - get to work fixing it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 11, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, first, I want to say I am a huge fan of Daryl Morey and think that he is the right man for the job.

That said - this is 100% his mess, he built this roster around an immature Harden & weak minded Howard, he hired these coaches, and they are running his philosophy.

They fired McHale (never thought he should have been hired in the first place) - which has not helped all that much.

The team plays no defense, they literally give up more than 100 points a game because the effort is just not there.

Currently 28th in the league at 107.2ppg allowed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/hou

Clearly they see Harden Lolligagging out there and have a case of "Well if he is not going to try, neither am I" going on out there.

And on offense, the team NOTICEABLY stands around watching Harden massage the ball for 20 seconds before jacking up a contested shot or passing it to a covered man at the 3pt line.

IT IS NOT WORKING!

And it is EASY TO FIX if a coach has the players attention.

The Rockets clearly don't think coaching matters all that much - Morey has said as much - and that is just laughable, tell that to Popovich, Jackson, Riley, Rudy T etc..etc..etc....

Coaching matters, and it MATTERS A LOT - yes, Xs and Os matter, but the most important thing a coach can do, is get their players to play hard for them, to play together, to build chemistry, to follow a leader on the floor or on the bench or both - this is not happening on the Rockets.

I like Bickerstaff, but he is not ready you don't give the keys to a Ferrari to your 16 year old son, that is not going to end well.

The players know that Bickerstaff can't really discipline them, they aren't going to be benched or held accountable - they don't RESPECT the man enough to care.

And you have two weak minded wannabe-leaders on this team in Harden and Howard without any tough minded vet players - oh sure, Jason Terry is there, but he is not a leader, he is an obnoxious has been that can knock down 3s and show up the opponent, but he has NEVER been a leader of anything.

Where is our Kevin Garnet, or Jason Kidd type? You know a savvy veteran player that commands respect in the locker room, someone who has been there done that and bought the T-shirt, someone the players respect and will listen too?

That can be a PLAYER on the bench or a coach on the bench, but we have NEITHER one, and what do you get?

THIS!!!! A HOT MESS!!!

And this is on you Daryl, this is your doing, you are the GENERAL manager, you need to take responsibility, sit down with Harden, sit down with Bickerstaff and read them the riot act. It is not enough to simply delegate if you have no one to delegate too - this has to be done by the TOP GUY, and that is you, Daryl, no hiding behind others, this is your time to step up, stop the madness and hold players accountable.

Either you hire a quality coach who can INSPIRE Harden to play hard - or you Mr. Morey will be tossed out with the entire staff because the talent decided they knew more than the management.

LEADERS step up - get to stepping please, before it is too late.

I have been a fan of the Rockets for more than 40 years - Les, the fans expect more - hold everyone accountable - PERIOD!

GO ROCKETS !!!

DD

#1 DaDakota, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    4 people like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . . and your suggestions would be .. . . . .

1. Get a mythical coach as a cure all [Who? Thibs?]
    or
    2. start from scratch [He will be fired the next day]

Morey buys the groceries . .. and hires the chef
    he doesn't cook . . he is the manager

Question:
    Do you think he needs to buy better groceries [i.e. get better players] - if so how?
    Who is that Coach you long for that is a cureAll

Rocket River

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Honestly...pretty accurate!

I think this season will be a watershed moment for Morey. League is too good and too smart at this point to go without a high-level coaching staff. I'm disappointed they've pretty much abandoned the idea of addressing that this season, but hopefully he gets it done at some point.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and you think the youngest, cheapest, most inexperienced coaching staff in the league is the cure-at-all? :confused:

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Whatever you can say about DD, he is passionate about the Rockets.

The players have shown in flashes that they can bring it on defense when they want it. The problem is that the effort is not consistent throughout a game.

This year already feels like a wasted season. From that standpoint, management needs to send a message to the players and no message will be louder than trading D12.

D12 gives you a great game followed by an uninspiring outing, like he gives no care. For a guy who is the highest paid player on the team, that is not acceptable.

Trade D12, get whatever you can, complete the rest of the season on a positive note and start anew, because this ain't working.

6. tdo

tdo Member

Well at this point no "great" coach is coming in with no training camp to instill their schemes, hire their staff, etc. So it is what it is. You see what JB has, and then make a "splash" hire in the off-season if the team continues to falter. It sucks, but there are not many other options. Just have to hope the team builds some momentum, and gets behind the staff.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't disagree overall...but the timing is odd.

Also, you can't complain about the roster and then use the Ferrari analogy. This team is definitely not a Ferrari. We're more like a hybrid Chevy pick up.

And these posts are kind of pointless right now...do we really think Morey isn't trying to fix it? Planning to? I'm sure he's been making calls and crunching numbers to see what his options are. Not much can be done right now though. We'll get a clearer picture of this next month, once everyone is trade-eligible and Dmo has played more. I also expect them to climb up the standings some.

As for the coaching, you assume a good coach wants this job. I don't know why anyone would want to jump into this.

#7 RV6, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

the only fix to things you wrote about is to trade both Harden and Howard, fire JB and start fresh

THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN

I think it is what it is, we will get better, def not win a championship with Harden and Howard together but we can compete with most team on highest level

9. tdo

tdo Member

You know, I can't get behind trading Harden, because then you are basically admitting defeat, and entering rebuild territory. Trading Dwight on the other hand... I'd consider it depending what we got in return. I would feel terrible for Dwight, because I really like him as a person. His impact on the court just isn't what it used to be, at least for this team. We would definitely be worse this season, but if you can get a solid return for him to where we have the chance to improve next season, I would definitely consider it.

10. basketballholic

What Morey needs to do is get himself (and whomever he hires as coach) out of Harden's pocket. We gotta make moves that make this team a championship winner. Not just moves that appease Harden that "might work". Gotta get a 3rd superstar. And it shouldn't matter whether Harden wants the guy or not.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honest question, do you think Pat Riley as GM would stand for this kind of non-competing by his team?

Or do you think he would act? All I am saying is that Daryl needs to LEAD - he built the team, it is his philosophy.

Or are you saying that maybe the players quit on Morey?

And, I am in NO WAY saying that I have the answers but company leaders like Morey are held accountable for whom they hire - he needs to step up, and do it quickly.

DD

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

uh....phrasing.

In actuality though, I agree with you DD. I love Morey's ability to evaluate talent, but he has obviously made a mistake in building this team. Whether it is building around Harden, relying on Howard or never bringing in solid veteran and a good coach (or a combination of these things) obviously what he has assembled is not working.

I personally think they should get Thibbs, who was part of the Olympic team, which seemed to have such a great influence on Harden last season. I also think it is time to trade Howard for a strong minded role player in the front court (Howard and Jones for Noah and Gibson maybe) and let Capela be our starting center. Then, after making those moves, if Harden still doesn't get his mind and effort right, then I'd trade him before the deadline as well (maybe to Boston for the Nets pick).

It is just like with Francis -- once you realize a player is not strong minded enough to build a title contender around, you move on. I am not sure if Harden is that or not, but, if you make other changes like the coach, moving Howard, acquiring veteran leadership and Harden is still not able to lead the team, then you have to move him.

13. Drogba

Drogba Member

Trade Harden for CP3. Morey has done a fantastic job assembling a Championship caliber team it's just our so called superstar isn't one. This roster easily makes it to the finals with Chris Paul's leadership, professionalism and intangibles.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not that easy...

15. Drogba

Drogba Member

Add in future draft picks then. Things seemed to have soured over there & like us they probably need a fresh start. Getting one of the best youngish stars in the League is great compensation.

This Rockets team is ready to win now, Dwight can't waste any more years waiting for Harden to mature while the Clippers probably need a rebuild, Doc Rivers has done a terrible job constructing that team.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

The last time I heard anything from Les, he sounded pretty pissed. If Les comes to the same conclusion that you have. That Harden and Howard definitely will not win a championship. Then I think that it is within the realm of possibility that Les may decide to blow up this team. Why keep this group together if they are only playing to be the second or third best team in the West?

If Les decides that Harden and Howard are the root of our problems, then maybe he will want to start over with whatever haul of players those two could bring back in trade.

It sounds crazy to start over, but most people were shocked they made a coaching change eleven games into the season after going to the West finals last year. Les is not happy.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Who's CP going to pass it to?

Not that easy as swapping them out, especially now that CP is older and keeps getting those hammy tweaks. Winning now would be great, but not the end of the world. Harden is still 26. There's time to dump Dwight, if necessary, or put him in a role position and find Harden more help. CP would come in, at 30, and still need time to settle in and for Morey to find better shooters. You'd waste this season, at least, and CP turns 31 in May...and you'd still have Dwight as the # 2, at 30 yrs of age.

I'd rather lengthen our window than rush to put something together that's easier said than done.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey recognizes his mistakes and fixes them quickly. The one knock I think a lot of us have is it seems he's always half a season behind. I understand the rant, but I think it silly to think he is just sitting on his hands.

It's still surreal we have gotten to this point.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'll be sure to pass this along, DD. I spoke with Daryl yesterday and he told me everything was going great and there weren't any problems to solve so your reminder that he's the general manager of a basketball team will be very helpful to him.

With the way we're playing, he had no idea he should be trying to improve the situation. Thank goodness you wrote this so I can remind him.

Now where's that... Oh, there it is...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With respect to you both, I believe the truth is somewhere in between. Perhaps DM the GM shared the 'real' reason KMc was jettisoned and wherein and therein the underachieving WCFinalists.

Beating poor teams is not a bad message; not being able to defeat good teams would be a very bad message.

The answers may come as the season and team grow into each other; this isn't the end. I remain hopeful, very. But very much undersold.