1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team lacks the It factor and it is a direct reflection of our 2 superstars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Nov 21, 2015.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Could this just be a simple case of these guys don't have any of the intangibles it takes to be a championship caliber player in the league and lead a team to the promise land. This It factor everyone talks about is fairly clear to see in certain players. Guys like Kobe, Duncan, Wade, Olajuwon, Jordan all had it. It was that thing that you couldn't explain but you knew it took the player to a whole different level. It was the difference between a guy like Wade and Monte Ellis. I know that is an extreme example but I bring that up because Ellis had the audacity to say that he is a good as Wade but Wade only gets the recognition because he has the championships. Absurd but true. The thing is one is a winner that knew how to carry his team on his back for long stretches within a game while the other put up similar stats and produced at a high level during the regular season but overall just didn't have the intangibles to understand how to lead a team.

I'm starting to think that our 2 superstars just don't have what it takes to get us over the hump. Let's be real; the run last year was fairly lucky. We lucked out to get the 2nd seed, and somehow we miraculously beat the Clippers down 3-1.

Regardless of talent, coaching, owner, etc...when your 2 best players aren't natural leaders, it makes it very difficult to get things right when things are going wrong. Notice why when the other team starts going on a run we shrink under pressure. There is nobody on our team to light a fire under their a$$ and carry the team on their back. Yes, Harden did it quite a bit last year but for whatever reason he's completely lost it this year. And even last year, I wouldn't consider Harden a leader like the other superstars He was too erratic and had miserable games that hurt the team more often than we like to admit. His defense has always made me think twice about him regardless of how effective he is on the offensive side of the ball.

In the end I think we have 2 excellent players but neither have the It factor and/or are natural leaders. Both are goofy knuckleheads in their own way and yet they flourish because they are very talented. I don't see this team turning it around this season unless Harden or Howard become the leaders that we need them to be. I certainly have my doubts.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this team lacks the "i have a brain" factor and its killign their playoff chances

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd like to see what this team and H&H can do with a real coach before deciding to blow it up. they've only had mchale and now jb. now that i think about it, what a sad waste of time.

one year under thibs or someone like him who can give this team an identity and hold H&H accountable would be enough to decide.

i'll give jb 10 more games to right the ship. if we still suck after about 25 games, my plan would be to play the young guys, wait for my lotto pick, come back next year with a real coach and even more talent. if that still doesn't produce second round or WCF then blow it up.

4. cmutt

cmutt Member

This is very true, unfortunately, and it's something that I worried against when we elected to get Howard.

I think Harden deserves some of this too because he's not showing TRUE leadership qualities, but at least he has a DESIRE to be great. Whether he's living up to that in all facets of the game or not is another issue.

But IMHO, it's Howard that shows the least amount of character and leadership ability. If he's not going to lead verbally, then he at least needs to lead by example... and he doesn't do that.

Being gifted with a certain amount of size and talent is good enough to coast through an NBA career. That, and getting enough minutes will and produce decent stats and fill the box scores adequately... but those stats won't tell the true story. (look at Mcgrady for an example of that)

But as this thread OP says, talent and stats don't necessarily make a leader, or a superstar, or lead to championships.

Teammates can tell and know when another teammate is half assing it, and they know which of their teammates have heart, and which don't.

And when the ones making superstar money aren't showing superstar effort and desire... what's that going to do for the rest of the team?

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't a terrible idea, but Howard's free agency makes it very difficult. He's on his third team and has a reputation of being a injury-prone, clown around the league. If the Rockets give him a big extension only to have him rebel against a new, tougher coach, how are they going to unload him? Are teams really going to be interested in a part-time one side of the court player who costs $25m per year? I don't think so - the Rockets would be lucky to trade him at all and certainly wouldn't get much value if they do manage to find a suitor.

Similarly, why invest big money in a top tier coach if the current collection of players can't even find it in themselves to pull together and play like a a team?

So from my perspective, this is the season to evaluate this roster - including Howard and Harden - and determine their future with the Rockets. If Harden continues his bipolar play (and his total indifference to defense) then we have to get rid of him because streaky players are not the foundation on which championships are built. As for Dwight, we should only consider keeping him if the team pulls it together and he and Harden develop some chemistry.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

players not playing like a team, and H&H not developing any chemistry; i put these things in the responsibility of the coach. with poor coaching, this is the result. it will not be fixed by itself. it can only be fixed with strong leadership from the coach. that's why i say lets get them a good coach this summer and give it one last try.

i see your point that dwight could opt out this summer forcing the rockets to give him a big contract, which then would hurt our chances to unload him if need be. personally i think losing this year, plus dwight's injuries adding up give us a great excuse to see what we could get for him at the deadline this year.

7. pst257

pst257 Contributing Member

Everybody thinks we have enough talent to be considered a contender; however, our Team is not nearly as strong as it was last year. We just don't have a lot of depth if any on the bench now. Beverly is non- existence now, and Prigs played great last year, and was a very smart player that knew how to run a team. Jet is a very limited player this year and is too slow trying to play point guard. Harrell is no where near ready to even play spot minutes. Cappella is basically a rookie that is playing well, but is very raw and is no threat offensively, and Josh Smith helped a lot more that what people want to admit. Should never have let him get away, especially that cheap! Lastly, Jones and Brewer are worthless on most nights! We really miss D-MO. This is definitely a different team now, and Harden and Howard is not the blame! Dale Morey is, and he need to fill the 15 slot, or make a small trade, similar to the Chalmer's trade that helped turn things around in Memphis, or resign and let someone build the team that knows size matters, and put some real shooters around Howard and Harden before he loses them!

#7 pst257, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. klutchking

klutchking Rookie

Dwight has had his injury issues but he's been playing with heart and conviction.

9. Drogba

Drogba Member

What did Wade do in the 4 years after Shaq left?

10. SeabrookMiglla

i think we need a good floor general. lawson just isnt fitting in well right now, harden has been taking too many shots. i dont care if harden drops 40+ points, we need to get other players involved.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this team lacks the put the ball in the hole factor

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That's a fine and dandy but other players arnt making any damn shots. Everyone including harden is shooting in the sub 30s besides Howard jones and capela

13. dmorey

dmorey Member

morey wants 3's but acquires players who can't make 3's
    morey wants ft's but acquires players who can't make ft's
    morey wants shots at the rim but acquires players who can't make shots at the rim

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Not sure if our team deficiencies in brain or heart is the bigger problem. We're definitely lacking in both categories. I think JBB is a good coach, but what could any coach do with this bunch of listless, lazy, hungover knuckleheads?

On the court, only Harden can decide if he's Harden or Haren. It starts and ends with him, because if he doesn't set the example on D, we don't have a chance. If we aren't forcing TOs and getting stops, we ain't fast-breaking; and if we ain't fast-breaking, the opponent for darn sure will be.

1 person likes this.
  15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is basically the long and the short of it. Too many players just suck right now.

They have no way to manufacture points when things get tough.

16. RESINator

RESINator Member

We have 0 suprrstars

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

ariza was in slump for a long while too last season.

brewer's just continuing his form from when the rockets were flatlining nearing the playoffs, ie until josh smith saved him and the rockets.

bev just isn't healthy anymore. more time in a suit than playing gear.

terry is still the best healthy pg on the team. lawson puts in less effort and is less effective than a 40 rear old on defense.

thornton is a streaky scorer who's can be value on the bench but not a player to hang your hopes on to win games.

kj is like pseudo-cap space or trade asset.

morey's off-season choices and trade assets were limited so he had to re-sign all these players but it was a situation created by the bosh debacle from the previous year.

18. wise_man

wise_man Member

There is a quick fix for this team......get some shooters.....

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

... this reminds me of when Tracy was declining and Yao hit his peak then regressed . Harden and Howard reflect this. Howard is just the player he once was.

20. conquistador#11

whoa there mother lovers. yao never reached his peak and regressed. he was on the up swing doing things not seen from a center of his height in this lifetime, playing like divac, if divac was a HOF. High post over the shoulder passes, putting duncan on a popcorn making him look like david robinson. Yao's feet brought him down. =(