1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

History Repeats Itself - Muslims are the new Jews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am sick and tired of that "a billion plus people" argument. Just because a lot of people believe in the same crap doesn't mean it's right.

Case in point:

[​IMG]

Now THAT's ignorance.

Just because you are hypersensitive like many of the billion plus people - I don't give a damn.

You should worry more about what the other people of your cult are doing, like blowing up and murdering people, rather than worry about whether I post a pic in response to an insult.

2. Apps

Apps Member

This has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Also, you should actually visit the link that is sourced there at the bottom. The nuanced work and analysis of the The Pew Forum very much undermines the ham-fisted visual representation shown there.

I never used the word ignorance. Nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Your deceptively solid grasp of the English language seems to be faltering here, as it was you who was being hypersensitive, and are continuing to be quite hypersensitive given the tone of your post. Also, I am not of the billion plus people, as I am not a Muslim.

Now you are childishly decrying the entire religion of Islam as a "cult" (per the implied context of your whole comment), and conflating the actions of terrorists to that of all Muslims. Such comments are quite obviously Islamophobic, although rather conveniently that is a word you literally don't believe exists or should exist.

Furthermore, my entire point was that what the other guy said was hardly an "insult", but rather a common expression that, though crass, could hardly be considered offensive unless you were going out of your way to be offended. Your pejorative insinuation about how all Muslims put their heads in each others asses while they pray, however, was far more harsh and malicious than what he had said. You are being willfully ignorant about the very clear difference between either of your guys' insults, which is a tactic you typically use when trying to make yourself out to be an innocent little angel and others to be vile Islamists. I'm sure it works well for you when you're lawyering in court--not so well when observers on the internet can call you out on it though.

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You bore me.

Tryhard.

4. Apps

Apps Member

[​IMG]

It's just a moving picture, ATW. Don't be offended.

5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

What's ignorance is you trying to pass something off as factual without even taking 2 minutes to check on its accuracy.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-topline1.pdf

The disgusting part is you purposefully use something like that and didn't even bother to read the report.

Wife should obey husband? What's the alternative? Wife should not obey husband? It's a rather dumb question to ask because any person will say they would rather have their counterpart listen to them instead of not listening to them. Not to mention the report also found that a majority of Muslims believe women should have the choice to choose to wear a hijab or not.

Sharia should rule? The question was in regards to making it the official law in their country, not that sharia should rule the world like your pathetic image insinuates. The report also found that a majority of Muslims believe that any implementation of sharia should only apply to Muslims. So majority of Muslims wants sharia to be the official law in their country but not apply to non-Muslims. Much different view than what your misinfo-graphic portrays.

Death for adultery? The question that was asked was 'is sex outside of marriage morally wrong'. Has absolutely nothing to do with death, but I guess checking on something like that is too much trouble for you.

Death for leaving Islam? I'm curious where your image pulled that number from, because it's certainly nowhere in the report. I see numbers like only 13% in Eastern Europe or 16% in Central Asia support this. You know what this portrays? That the lack of education has a trend in this. You know what else the report mentions?

[​IMG]

You know what else is missing from the report that your pathetic image has? The margin of error, which is could only equal those numbers if the sample size was above 5,000.

Here's some stuff your useless image forgot to mention. "Muslims around the world strongly reject violence in the name of Islam. Asked specifically about suicide bombing, clear majorities in most countries say such acts are rarely or never justified as a means of defending Islam from its enemies"

And you had the audacity to say someone was not intelligent enough to deserve a response to their legitimate points made against you. What does the the fact that you couldn't even check a source speak to your intelligence?

6. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Typical response from someone who lacks the intellectual capacity to formulate any legitimate counter response.

Sad part is he tries to convince everyone he's a lawyer. I think he meant he gets coffee for real lawyers.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hydhypedplaya, you were the jerk who got a good deal from a fellow Clutchfan and then acted like a jackass.

Why does that not surprise me - you are the same on this forum.

It's interesting how angry any criticism of Islam makes you. Intolerance, personified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I did:

[​IMG]

It is:

[​IMG]

Caught you lying. Twice.

10. Apps

Apps Member

The numbers in the original visual representation you posted are absolutely not in the report. Those numbers are an extrapolation based on unspecified numbers and percentages which the visual representation makes no effort to cite. Its only citation is the 200 page report in general.

If you read the fine print of the statistics you are now quoting, you'll see that they are qualified by the fact that they only pertain to those who already said they want Sharia law in their country (and/or specifically in the Muslim areas of that country), which only further skews the numbers. Your original visual representation was a manipulated extrapolation that was obviously intended to create scare numbers.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's correct that they are extrapolated. So what?

If you don't find the actual numbers scary enough already and think that nitpicking about whether some extrapolation was done to create that infographic changes everything, then you are just embarrassing yourself.

12. Apps

Apps Member

Because the extrapolation proves to be unfounded when looking at the other statistics you posted. Those statistics are qualified by being resultant of people who already believe that Sharia law should be the law of their land. Compound to this the problem of Sharia law's ambiguity, the vast differences in what different people believe Sharia law entails, the differences between people's desire for extreme or moderate punishments, and you can very easily see why such an extrapolation is not only ill-advised, but can also be manipulated to create wildly misleading figures.

I do find some of the actual numbers scary. Particularly frightening, in fact, is that so many of the Egyptians polled seem to hold an exceptionally extreme view of Sharia law. The fact that those numbers are dissimilar to other numbers from many other countries should in of itself tell you how complicated the issue is. Any reasonable social scientist would, at this point, want to investigate what other social, political, economical, and historical reasons could exist for why Egypt and Egyptians feel that way, but people like you seem content enough to leave the explanation at "Islam".

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, you are making three arguments here:

1) This is not as bad because it's only the people who already believe that Sharia law should rule, not the others
    2) Sharia law can mean a lot of things
    3) Socio-economic factors, yada yada, has nothing to do with Islam

My response to this:

Your excuse "it can mean a lot of things" - let's be specific, then. Let's take one very specific thing. And let's only look at the people who already believe Sharia law should be the law of the land. And let's pick one that has nothing to do with the often-used excuse of socio-economic factors, but is very specific to Islam.

Here we go:

[​IMG]

Egypt: 74 % * 86 % of all Muslims (despite the misleading bs from the quote above) (82 million population of which about 90 % are Muslims)

Afghanistan: 99 % * 79 % of all Muslims (30 million population of which about 100 % are Muslims)

Pakistan: 84 % * 76 % of all Muslims (182 million population of which 97 % are Muslims)

Malaysia: 86 % * 62 % of all Muslims (30 million population of which 60 % are Muslims)

Bangladesh: 82 % * 44 % of all Muslims (166 million population of which 90 % are Muslims)

This is 47 million Muslims in Egypt who want the death penalty for leaving Islam, 113 million Muslims in Pakistan who want the death penalty for leaving Islam, 24 million Muslims in Afghanistan who want the death penalty for leaving Islam, 10 million Muslims in Malaysia who want the death penalty for leaving Islam, 54 million Muslims in Bangladesh who want the death penalty for leaving Islam.

From these 5 countries alone, we are talking about roughly 250 million Muslims who want the death penalty for leaving Islam. I am not even going through all the other countries.

14. Apps

Apps Member

And I'm very interested to see what twisted logic you used in understanding them.

Not what I said at all. I simply mentioned that that was a factor needed to be taken into consideration.
    Again, not what I said. I did not say that it "can mean a lot of things", but rather that as a concept it can be ambiguous. Sharia law can and does mean many consistent things, but how Muslims view it and interpret it differs significantly from country to country, and even community to community. This is a fact.

You are clearly someone in pursuit of a reasoned discussion.

That's because the "other countries" either have significantly smaller populations, or significantly smaller percentages. What I'm trying to point out to you is that, if Islam is as uniformly encouraging of such thought-processes as you think, then why do the numbers not mirror each other uniformly from nation to nation? There are clearly mitigating and accentuating factors which should be taken into consideration.

Why are a majority of Sharia-supporting Tajiks willing to stone adulterers, but unwilling to kill apostates? Why do Jordanians feel reversely? Why are Egyptians uniformly extreme in their view of Sharia law? Why, of the few Lebanese Muslims who advocate for Sharia law, does the minority of them then believe in death for apostasy and stoning for adulterers? Why is Indonesia significantly more moderate than Malaysia, especially when the Indonesian Muslim population is more than ten times that of Malaysia? Are Iraq's responses divided between Sunni and Shia? If not, then why is Iran, the largest Shia country, not included?

These are concepts and thought processes which are sadly not quantitative. The numbers can show us that this is what the polled Muslims say, but it does not show us what they are thinking when they respond or why they are thinking it. Put the actual executioner's axe or the stoning rock into the hands of any of these Muslims and you will see these numbers fall or rise.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are revealing your prejudice. You are not interested in being educated, you are just unsuccessfully trying to play gotcha.

Yes, but 250 million from 5 countries alone say that whoever doesn't want to be in their club anymore should be killed. You can complain about extrapolation, but when you extrapolate, it is very likely that the figure in the infographic is directionally correct. That is reason enough to be concerned, and it says something about the religious ideology of Islam as a whole. We are not talking about a few isolated crazies here. This type of extreme intolerance is part of mainstream Islam, even if "only" a third of Muslims goes as far as saying that someone who wants to leave their cult should be killed. Do you think there are no shades of grey between that and people saying that they totally respect the freedom to "leave the club"? If you add those shades of grey, you might be looking at a majority of Muslims saying there should be severe sanctions when someone wants to take the liberty of no longer believing in what they believe.

You can try to nitpick around that and take amateurish jabs at me as much as you want, but if you don't see that that is a reason for concern about Islam as a whole, then you are wearing blindfolds.

Honestly, who cares? Why would it be my job to figure out all the details of why one backward tribe just wants to kill people who leave Islam more, but is not so keen on stoning adulterers, whereas the other backward tribe is more into stoning gays, etc.? Yes, perhaps looking into the details of why these differences exist could help understand who is even more ****ed up in the head than the others - but again, that's not really my job. The evidence is there: Islam is a religion that is inherently built on intolerance. That doesn't mean all Muslims are evil or bad, but it also means that nobody needs to "respect" that death cult.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Extremist Muslims are the new Nazis

Close, op. Very close.

Moderate Muslims could be seen as the victims of the new Nazis, as many more of them are murdered than westerners

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ATW is a narcissistic troll who has a personal agenda against Muslims - guys do not engage with him. He will viciously attack you personally if you start making a good argument against him.

Whatever the hotel thing was about it has no business in this thread. Pathetic to bring that up.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing I don't understand is why I didn't do this much sooner :confused:.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is even more sad is that the Jews of Israel are the new Nazis and the people of Gaza are the new residents of the Warsaw Ghetto.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it means you will never reply to one of my posts again...and not stalk me in social media either I hope.

[​IMG]

#80 Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015