1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colby Rasmus accepts QO; Returns to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Nov 12, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Luhnow wouldn't have made the offer is he wasn't prepared for him to accept it. He's a productive hitter and a versatile fielder, plus it guarantees we won't go into next season with a hole on the roster.

If the Astros were going after a guy like Gordon or any other OF/DH with OBP, they still should. Between injuries and the DH there will still be enough PA to go around. Rasmus would also give us injury protection, because lets face it, with 3 everyday OF's it's basically a guarantee that one on them is gonna spend some time on the DL.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Welcome back Hitman!

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'd be willing to wager that a two or three year extension will be hammered out now that Colby has accepted the offer. Makes a ton of sense for both sides to do so.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm 99% sure they'll tear up the 1-year deal and construct/sign a multi-year deal. Maybe 3 years for 12-13m/year and save 9-10 million.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you don't think Luhnow was completely prepared for Rasmus to accept the offer then you haven't been paying attention at all.

There's a plan with and without Colby. I think, given the opportunity to play everyday, he could put up better numbers.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Of course he was prepared for the possibility Rasmus would accept the offer. I personally suspect the would have rather had him reject the QO and gotten the draft pick. However him accepting the offer doesn't crush the Astros or Luhnow never would have made it.

Rasmus doesn't need to play everyday, he needs to be platooned.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One year?

No risk for us at all

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How does that save 9-10 mil?

9. Major

Major Member

I don't think there's any way the team wants to lock in Rasmus for 3 years, let alone for $12MM/yr.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Why do any of yall care about the money? It's not like yall are writing his checks... There is no salary cap so he doesn't prohibit us from getting other players. As long as the organization isn't just trying to be cheap this shouldn't effect our FA targets.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

think most of yall are forgetting the .240 rasmus who stroke out all the time during the mid season.

12. prohibido

prohibido Member

If you had the connections in the Astros FO that you used to claim you would know differently.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mattician

Mattician Member

I wanted him back. He seems to really love Houston.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

It think it's been established that is what kind of team we are going to be.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You and several others are assuming Luhnow didn't think he would accept and that he didn't want Colby to accept

I think Luhnow is just fine with having him back

Many people hate the HR or K bats so much they assume Luhnow does too

I think he is fine with a good defensive OF with 25 HR power who fits in perfectly in the clubhouse. And I'm sure he would rather have Colby as opposed to either a lesser player in LF, or having to tie up long term money to match or upgrade the talent at that spot

I think the boys at MMP are plenty happy right now

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No, it has not been established.

The Cardinals are the type of team the Astros are going to be.

#56 No Worries, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you project the 1 year deal out, he loses money on per year basis but gets 2 more years. His yearly money lost is money saved and the 4-5 million saved this year (assuming new deal) could be used for a nice reliever or two for example.

Good defensive OF who bats left and hit 25 home runs. You would be surprised. Basically a slightly less effective Torii Hunter. Go look at his contracts over the years.

18. HeyBudLetsParty

I like to imagine it went down something along the lines of this
    Agent: so Colby you got a QO of 16 million, but I thin
    Colby: okay sounds good

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Astros projected payroll for 2016 is still one of the very lowest in MLB. There is zero reason to try to save money in 2016. If anything, you'd want to frontload contracts so that there's less of a payroll squeeze down the line when some of the very cheap young players come up for expensive extensions.

If the Astros want to spend $4-5 million for relievers, they can more than afford that.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

And it seems you are forgetting how many BIG hits he had the WHOLE year, he was clutch for us.
    "Remember" he hit .258 with a .374 OBP a slugging of .548 and an OPS of .922 with RISP.

He was CLUTCH for us in big moments, and he is very good defensively.

I love this move, i wanted him back