1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly, I want a GM that rules with an iron fist that holds everyone responsible even the coaches and is quick to drop the hammer and to have enough balls to keep the McNairs in check.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I bet when the day comes he just gets a fancy new title

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Smith doesn't do the actual scouting. When the Texans fired Brian Gardner (who ended up in Tennessee), they replaced him with a guy so bad he was fired by the Dolphins (Brian Gaine) and then promoted him nor too long afer.

Clean house in the scouting department. Stop recycling chumps from mediocre franchises.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But he oversees them... and he makes decision on who to hire.

If they hired the wrong guy, you get rid of that person... and you get rid of the person who made the bad decision.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/5332/obriens-power-over-the-53-man-roster

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ns-among-five-teams-with-new-power-structures

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/10/26/did-the-houston-texans-hire-the-wrong-head-coach/

1 person likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A GM with enough balls to check a OWNER?

Just for ****s and giggles. . .which teams have such a GM?

Rocket River

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

I would say all the successful ones. McNair isn't rich by accident, if a GM can earn his respect by making him alot more money by putting a winning product on the field then I would say he would be kept in check.

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Problem is in the mirror. Fans don't hold the owner accountable. Owner doesn't hold GM & Coach accountable.

Cold hard truth is this team can be the laughing stock of the NFL for 15 years, and "fans" will still sell-out every game at 300% scalped ticket prices, pay $200 for a parking ticket and & pass to the Churrasscos tent, buy everyone in their family $300 per head worth of merch, put a big decal on both their 2 trucks, get a Texans tattoo, and go in-halves with their brother-in-law to sign on the season ticket waiting list. It has nothing to do with the actual game of football. It has everything to do with the social event of football. It's casual. It's easy. It's perceived as the thing you "should do". On Fridays at the office? Heading to the grocery store, going to a Rockets game, getting into PJs? Hey throw on a 99 Watt T-Shirt like it's a default gray G-A-P shirt. Buying an EZ up tent? Why not make it a Texans EZ up tent! Look at my spirit guys, football is king! Never mind that I grew up my whole life in St. Louis and moved here 2 years ago! Go Texans or whoever whatever it doesn't matter. Pass the nachos!

"We will always be a football city" "This is football country" "Football is king here!" Our city beat its chest and self-professes itself as the center of football universe as it mindlessly forks over more and more extreme levels of support completely unconcerned with whether or not the product is half-a$$ competitive.

Stros having a helluva season & tickets are practically free? Hell nah, I'm paying $600 for 2 seats to this sold out preseason Texans game that I know we'll lose but it doesn't matter. Stros in the playoffs with half seats still available? Hell nah, I'm about nachos and wearing football jerseys so I will pay you $100 for a parking pass to tailgate this sold out Texans game! 7-0 Cougars on TV? Well hell I didn't go to college. My sister graduated from UH and I live in Houston, but hell nah, I ain't about actual football or winning, or an exciting style. This is football country! So I'm doing my errands Saturday so I can post on FB Sunday about how I'm in my new cammo Watt jersey watching the Texans. Should I get some tickets to the championship-real-deal-contending Rockets game this weekend? Nah, I'll spend twice that to get a Texans etched glass top outdoor patio table that I think the neighbors will think is so cool when they come over next time to eat nachos.

Now I'm not saying all fans. I'm not saying you, person right now reading this & perceiving I'm trying to personally insult you. I'm saying there are 10 times more people that ARE like this than there are # of seats at NRG. And it's more than enough to keep McNair's feet kicked up on an ottomon & laughing as he lights a cigar with a 100 bill.

#29 cdrive, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    3 people like this.
  9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't know, man. The city turned on the Oilers and Bud Adams after one humiliation too many. The bell may yet toll for the Texans in this town, as well. God knows Fatcat McNair will never see it coming.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jimmy johnson looks tired of that FOX gig. :)

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Burn the Astrodome down, Im telling you that place is a damn curse.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, contact Jimmy Jonson, he is one of the best ones for this team.

13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

[​IMG]

well damn!!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And then the Oilers left town and Houston was without a football team.

I honestly don't know what y'all want McNair to have done. Give me specifics. He fired Capers when he should have. He fired Casserly when he should have. He fired Kubiak when he should have. The only questionable thing he's done is keep Rick Smith after he fired Kubiak, but I doubt Rick survives the next turnover. You all act as if McNair has put up with losing and he really hasn't. Do I have to rehash this again? The team improved every year under Capers until year 4 and then he was fired. Same with Kubes. A lot of fans wanted him fired after 6-10 but he came back with the best two seasons in franchise history. Despite that, he too was fired a year later when the team collapsed. What should McNair have done in those situations? Should he have fired them before he did? If so, when? Somebody tell me what McNair has done to give the impression that he's content to just sit back and let the team suck as long as there are paying fans.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So you're saying that a guy who sucks at his job should no longer do that job?

I thought this philosophy only applied to kickers.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They turned on Bud Adams.

If McNair becomes the ******* clown-joke that he was... and then you combine that with playing in a rat-asbestos-infested stadium... and then you combine that with embarrassment on the field... and then you combine that with threatening to leave to a podunk hicksville town that lowers the overall franchise value... only then will you see the fans actually turn.

That's how bad it got for the Oilers...

17. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I want to find you and give you a hug. I'm so sick of this obsessive worship of a mediocre franchise which consistently pumps out a mediocre product.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

My thoughts exactly.

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

It wasn't always like this until the 2011 season when they first made the playoffs. The games were sold out but I very rarely saw people wearing Texans gear out in public.

Everything changed in 2011, that's when the whole city of Houston hopped on the bandwagon. Now you have all these idiotic mouth breathers complaining on sports radio, starting fights at tailgates, wearing their jj watt camo jerseys.