1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Couldn't find the right thread to post this in.

Morey just retweeted an article from SI that analyzes the 3 top benches in the league….Houston, Boston and Chicago. What's interesting is the article makes pretty definitive statements about who will be coming off the bench:

Beverley
    KJ/Terry/Thornton
    Brewer
    DMo
    Capela

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/13/nba-bench-rotations-bulls-celtics-rockets-nikola-mirotic-isaiah-thomas-patrick-beverley

I think this is what most of us expected, though the article seems to indicate that DMo may break into the starting lineup because he can play with Dwight (as a floor spacer and creator).

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

We should compare our bench to some lesser teams in the east and see how they fare.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Beverley
    Thornton
    Brewer
    DMo
    Capela

vs

Kemba
    Batum
    Hairston
    Zeller
    Jefferson

or

Jackson
    Caldwell-Pope
    Marcus Morris
    Ilyasova
    Drummond

or

Marshall
    Stauskas
    Covington
    Noel
    Okafor

Not sure we'd win all of them, but they would be close.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

On the topic of DMo - I like him off the bench because he can play either big spot. He's just a much more versatile player than Jones (not getting into the debate of who's better) .... but with Capela playing well thats a non-issue on nights Dwert plays. Its the nights that Dwert takes off where it matters.
    You still have a very solid 3 big man rotation with Capela & Jones starting and DMo playing starters minutes behind both of them.

5. malakas

malakas Member

That article also says that dmo is better served as a 5. Which i disagree with completely
    It also says that chicago has a top3 Bench which is hillarious. With no good backup pg a no defence rookie at the wings and two injured old players in the frontcourt. Ok.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

I tend to agree RE: DMo, though I think he matches up ok with most backup centers.

Chicago isn't too bad, but I would agree that they aren't in the same league as Houston.

Brooks
    Hinrich
    Dunleavy
    Mirotic
    Gibson

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Dougy McBuckets figures to break out this year! That guy can light the basket on fire

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

portis is also killing it for them in preseason.

along with mirotic and mcbuckets, they've got a great young core coming off the bench.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ah, yes.

The Brothers of Band.

10. malakas

malakas Member

You can't have a top 3 bench league wide by banking on a potential breaking out bymultiple rookies. Which may or may not come and which is hypothesized by three preseason games played against teams who use camp bodies and play no defence because they don't care. Otherwise the state of the sport is in a dire situation.
    There are benches of other teams much better than that.
    (mirotic will be a starter and so will Dunleavy when he comes back).
    A bench of Kirk Hinrich, Snell, McDermott,Portis/Taj, Joakim-I have no knees and can't finish an uncontested layup-Noah is not top 3 in the league.
    examples of better benches (Boston and Houston are clearly better)
    Atlanta (Shroeder,Bazemore,Sefolosha,Muscala, Splitter)
    Miami (Chalmers,G.Green,Winslow,McBob,Birdman)
    Sacramento (Collison,Bellineli,Casspi,whatever,Koufos)
    Toronto (CoJo,Ross,J.Johnson,Scola, Biyombo)
    Minny (T.Jones,K.Martin,Muhammad,Bjelica,Dieng (Pek maybe later)
    And more teams.

That's why in my opinion the article quoted by Morrey has many problems and we shouldn't reach any conclusions because he quoted it except that he agrees that Houston has a great bench unit.