1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Are there any VEGANS on Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Hey all. I've been learning about vegan diets and I'm sold. In November, I'm planning on going vegan (for just that month) and after my summer bike tour, which I've mentioned on the BBS, I'm going to become a full-time vegan.

Health benefits
    Saving animals
    Reducing greenhouse emissions

Sounds like fair game to me. In my opinion, it borders on pure cowardice to continue eating meat and consuming dairy products if we close our eyes and look away when we see the torture and horrid conditions that animals endure in order for the food to get onto our plate. It's enough for me to call it quits starting November and then permanently after next summer.

If there are any vegans on Clutchfans, I'd love to hear from you. I don't know much about meal prepping, but I'm going to have to learn and can use all the advice I can get!

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I know of one girl here on the forum...

I kid. I am not, ill see myself out of here now.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't live in Vegas, but I went there in August.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Vegan since 2014.

The order of my priorities:
    • No meat (including seafood), no eggs, no broth, no gelatin
    • No dairy
    • No dairy derivatives (lactic acid)
    • No products which may have used animal parts (i.e. sugar).
    Those are my levels of dietary veganism. It is a challenge, I accept losses, and I have vegan "moments" at restaurants. I am not a philosophical vegan - I didn't do this for the environment, and I still love leather couches, belts and shoes.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

why are you a vegan?

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Your mom is a vegan. She likes the big carrot.

Pen15clubber and R0ckets03 like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Get with this guy.... He can teach you things.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X-xoXbhnFHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What health benefits do you get from going Vegan? Most vegans are deficient in key nutrients.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My ex GF was vegan and I tried it with her for a month (all of this past July). I actually felt really good and lost some weight. But it's definitely hard to keep up, you really have to make sure you are eating certain things and maintain it in a healthy way. I stopped after July but I definitely eat less meat now (maybe 3 meals a week).

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A meat eater rated this thread 1 star. Anyways, you really want to know about veganism, go follow Vegan Gains channel. He offers much great advice on this topic.

11. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

based on what facts?

Check this lady out.. she is a raw vegan

she is 70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTWC2xIIsRs

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If everyone became vegan all cows and chicken would die.

eveluvsrox and Nook like this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

ryano2009 and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I became vegetarian in 1987 and vegan in 1993. I'm still vegan.

Vegetarianism began as an ethical thing for me and it still is I guess though I don't think about it ethically and I don't care what other people eat. I'm not on a crusade and I don't judge.

I had been planning to become vegan around the time I did anyway but the reason I did it was because I was flirting with a super hot punk rock girl that told me she wouldn't kiss me if I ate dairy. It was very easy for me to choose the hot punk rock girl over eating cheese. And it just stuck. I just liked eating that way better. The punk rock girl and I had an on and off affair in our 20s and we are still good friends. She eats everything now.

I don't believe the vegan diet to be a healthy one unless you are able to devote an enormous amount of time to cooking and planning meals so you get everything you need. I think the protein angle is overstated since there are so many good vegan proteins. But it's very hard to get B-12 through a vegan diet and it's just hard to get all the nutrients your body needs to be healthy. With a lot of cooking and planning it can be done but it's hard. You can't do it simply by cutting things out. You have to be vigilant to be sure you're getting what you need.

To me the healthiest diet would probably be vegan plus fish and eggs, but I've never been able to eat fish or eggs, even when I was a child and teen when all I ate was meat.

I've tried to introduce various animal products back into my diet to help me regain strength (I have chronic Lyme and it makes me very weak) but they're just not food to me anymore. My body doesn't recognize them as food and I find myself chewing and chewing and chewing and finally swallowing and finding the whole thing to be a terribly unpleasant ordeal. I've tried a few times to quit being vegan. I can't do it.

I don't recommend it though. I recommend being vegan plus eating fish and/or eggs.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'm a big fan of vegan gains. He does tend to rock the boat a bit, but he definitely does know what he's talking about.

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

@Batman Jones

I'm primarily going vegan FOR ethical reasons. I'm not doing it right away because I want to prep and do some research before jumping into it, but I do plan on supplementing some vitamins. (B-12, for example)

1 person likes this.
  17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Wife is mostly vegan. Doesn't eat meat or dairy, but eats farm raised eggs on occasion.

Best thing about it is, you don't have to worry about getting fat and getting cancer due to the impact from hormone laden meat and dairy products. Steady diet of veggies, rice, beans, and lentils is very healthy.

Downside is that you're very restricted when you look through a menu. Lot of restaurants will be pretty much off limits as well.

18. Batman Jones

It can absolutely be done. If you are mindful you can get everything you need from a vegan diet and it can be an extremely healthy one. If you're willing to put in the work, you won't need to compromise your health in order to be right with your ethics.

Much luck to you. If I can be helpful to you in any way please don't hesitate to PM or email.

Daddy Long Legs and jacoby like this.
  19. Batman Jones

And I'll tell you a secret: If you're anything like me, you're unlikely to miss the things you give up. I couldn't have imagined I wouldn't miss a burger or steak or pizza or something but something happens over time and you just stop thinking of that stuff as food.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am vegetarian + eggs = Eggetarian