1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Youth Sports League Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Sep 21, 2015.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Anyone has a good recommendation.. Kids ages range from 6-12 boy and girl. I'm still debating which sport to select or maybe even Jijitsu.

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

What part of town?

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

YMCA would be a great startup league for basketball/soccer/football. Kind of gauge where your child ranks amongst the other children. AAU leagues for basketball start so early nowadays, If your child is good, I am sure there is an AAU team for them as well!

cheke64 likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Northwest, willowbrook.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think at 10 years old is too old to start. I'm thinking more of football or baseball.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Soccer is always fun because they don't have to be skilled to kick a ball around and keep the game going unlike other sports where there a lot of skills that the kid has to have to even have a fun game. The most frustrating thing I ever had to do was to watch my daughter play basketball and lacrosse her first season. Young kids can't dribble and don't have enough strength to even get the ball near the hoop. Volleyball is fun. It doesn't take long for the kids to get the hang of it where it's at least a little fun.

Jiu-jitsu only works if the kids are physical by nature. They have to like to wrestle around.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

i9 sports is great as a start up league.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep. Looking at that and FFPs. I just don't like that they practice right before a game. Dafaq is that.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, YMCA is good for a first-time league. You could try them in a few sports. Soccer, teeball, basketball, volleyball, etc.

Hard to say what they will gravitate to. My dad swears I was far better at baseball* than any other sport, but I didn't like playing it. So I quit and started playing basketball year-round even though I wasn't very good.

*I still wasn't great.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Basketball Season is coming up soon, give that a try. The key to any sporting activity is getting a good coach that balances having fun, learning how to win and lose, how to learn the importance of every role on a team and commitment. Youth Sports are a lesson in life for kids even if you wind up with a screamer only wimps lose coach. They are likely to have an idiot boss someday, so they get prepared for that too.

I coached basketball, baseball and football. Basketball was the most fun in my opinion.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Football coach nicknamed my son the Sloth and another one the honey badger. Ive never liked football but I'm really enjoy training with my son and going to his games. He's in the C team as a lineman offense. Does high school have a b c ranks?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I feel like this is a troll thread and none of this is real.

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

From what I remember in high school and not sure if all high schools do this but they did have a/b/c ranks in my high school. I think it was because as a freshman, all students who tried out made it and the coaches put them on one of the a/b/c teams. It was only for the freshman football team though.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No troll thread. I've never played sports in high school or even cared for football that's why I'm a noob.

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OK, if that's the case then I apologize for that post.

Just seems like a nickname of "Sloth" is more an insult than anything else. Maybe it's some inside joke but it sounds odd. And yeah, there are lower level teams in high school: JV, and freshman.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good on you man, repped.

You didn't waste an iota of time on a fake tough guy, non athletic sport filled with kids who deliberately beat up refs and other disgraceful acts.

17. tested911

tested911 Member

I have 3 boys who recently joined the i9 basketball league. It's fairly competitive for that small age but not at all AAU style. My boys are are fairly young 6-12 and are still learning as they go. I do wish practice was more than 30 min before the game but I can't imagine having enough time during the week to bring them so this will have to do. My boys do enjoy playing and I am hoping this will give them enough practice for them to prepare for their school basketball season.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, there is no way I would let my kid play contact football. Too much data showing that it's bad for them.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I noticed that all his teammates are in the same math class. I feel like they are taking it too easy. Little to no homework

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I might do I9. This other is asking for a sponsor or cough up 35 bucks a player and also sell candy. I'm a grown ass man I can't be selling candy