1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Sep 2, 2015.

?

What is the highest contract will Dwight be offered in free agency next summer?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2016.
  1. < 4 years/$80 million

29 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 4 years/$80-$99 million

34 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 4 years/$100-$115 million

30 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. 4 years/$116-$128 milion

19 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. 5 years/$95-$105 million

12 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 5 years/$106-$120 million

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. 5 years/$121-$135 million

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  8. 5 years/$136-149 million

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. 5 years/$150+ million

41 vote(s)
    19.8%
  10. He'll sign "Tim Duncan" 1-year deal at below market value

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I agree totally, however, he will still command at least $15 mln per season so 5 for $75 mln to pay for the 8 kids and 8 baby mamas!... Dude 's game is elementary and with his knee problems, they only get worse with age. One thing Morey isn't is dumb when it comes to contracts.

I personally would let him walk and ride with Clint "Eastwood" Capela and give that money to someone else who helps us effectively play small ball better.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How asinine can a post be? SMH.

Dwight is a monsta when it counts and that's in the playoffs. Yeah, let's let a true superstar (when it counts most) walk and start Capela. :rolleyes:

3. malakas

malakas Member

another great post dobro.

And regarding Dwights deficiencies lets look at his positives too. He offers some things that noone else in the league can right now.
    If every other center had Dwights athleticism then they would be the one who would be paid and be the stars and get their team to the nba finals.
    As for good post game, WHO HAS right now? Al Jefferson?
    And people also want outside shooting on top of that? LMAO

Maybe people want a center who plays like a pg too?

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Jesus, do you REALLY think there is even a slightest chance Durant will come? Because there is absolutely no way he leaves OKC, let alone comes to Houston. NO WAY IN HELL is that ever going to happen.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's a good question. For this season, I think we have the looming question of what we do with D-Mo and Jones, and possibly questions about Ty Lawson to deal with, plus whether we can participate in the free agency bonanza. Should probably throw what to do about Howard's contract onto the pile. Even with a ballooning salary cap, we probably can't give Howard, Jones, and Motiejunas all big raises and pick up anyone of significance in free agency to boot. I hope we can win a championship this season because change is coming.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Slightest chance... hell yes.

Great chance.... probably not.

However that's not the point. If there is an ability next Summer to take an existing contending team, and add an all-star caliber players (Durant or not), you absolutely want to pursue that ability. You have to think long term as an NBA GM, and you also have to have the foresight when you have a player like James Harden who will be a free agent himself in a few years as well, and the longevity of contending on a yearly basis moving forward. If there is a feasible plan then step A. is still to get with Dwight and Fegan to see what their plan is for next Summer, and making sure that you are in line with having everyone on the same page next Summer.

The fact is the Rockets can have a little bit of cap space, or alot of cap space, but it all depends on Dwight (or a series of trades for Brewer, Ariza, KJ, etc.).

Durant is really just the pipe dream example, but there is absolutely every inclination that the Rockets (and every team in the league in reality) will have the ability to add to this existing contending team. Dwight's contract situation will play a HUGE part in the number available to give a free agent. Otherwise we are looking at gutting the roster of quality players in order to free up cash.

Either way, I would be SHOCKED if the Rockets were NOT planning on shooting for the moon (Durant being option A.) next Summer, and doing everything in their power to put themselves in place to upgrade further & secure a contender for the back-half of Harden's career which will insure that he stays in town for his next contract as well.

Big Summer next year, but we still have a big year this year to worry about in the short term.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think if they let him walk, that means they are committed to Capela etc.

The problem with committing long term money to Dwight is that he seems to be in decline and his knees are a major concern.

If his knees are a problem this year, we have to let him go, they are NOT going to be getting better.

DD

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL at people who have convinced themselves that Howard is no longer a max player.

If I am Morey, I go to Dwight and say listen I want one more max caliber player. Sign a two year 20 million dollar deal (10 million year 1, PO year two). Use your cap to go get Durant or Horford, and then sign the guy him to a 3 year 90m or whatever the max is next year.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

LOL at people who think Capela is ready to replace Howard.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do agree with the Capela angle, and to a certain extend the D-Mo angle (I know the debate... is he a 5, or is he "too soft" and a 4).

If Capela steps up, I do think it adds a new wrinkle where it makes resigning Dwight a little less pressing, and if he doesn't take less to minimize risk (I agree with the problems of decline & health), you are in a pretty good position to let him walk and allocate those resources elsewhere.

That being said, if its a matter of, "Are we better or Worse with Dwight moving forward", that's an easy question to answer. Obviously we are better having him vs. not having him.

We have Capela for 3 more years on a rookie min. deal. Even if he is really, really good there is no reason to not take advantage of having a two headed monster at the 5 spot for 2 more years after this next season.

However there are alot of "IF's" with Capela. IMO, he has potential, but we can't get ahead of ourselves thinking he is this or that. Ask UT football fans all about Garrett Gilbert.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Get a life broh and come from under D12's sack... You're blind to the fact that he gives us nothing on the offensive end in the 4th Qtr. Why, because teams go to hack a D12 and he can't make free throws and can't abuse smaller players in the post (Draymond Green). So why pay $20 mln a yr for that guy...

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Get a life? How about you get a clue. First of all, you obviously don't know jack. We would be very lucky to get him for anywhere near 20MM relative to where the cap is heading.

Go back and watch the GS series. Dwight was beasting before Smith landed on him. In game 5, he was dominating in the first half. Unfortunately, Harden wasn't on the same page on that regretful night.

He outplayed Chandler, Jordan and Bogut. He will get a lot of money from Morey. We can bump your dumb-ass post then.

1 person likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

OF COURSE. Unless you are some kind of prophet and you can tell us the future?
    OKC has a rookie nba coach and just gave the max to a horrible center. If they fail to contend this year why should Durant not even consider signing elsewhere?

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good ****ing lord.

What a bunch of annecdotal nonsense.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Less than 20 Mil a year

Rockets may try 30 mil for 3 Year with a 4th at Team option

Rocket River

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he will be quite worth the max in a year, but he will be worth very close to it unless he has just an awful season this year.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fegan being Howard's agent.
    Dallas losing out on Deandre.
    Parsons.

Yeah, Cuban will be all over Dwight. He'll try again for sure.

BUT, as long as the Rockets don't insult Dwight with their offer, I don't think he will want to leave. He has already moved around more than I think he really wanted to. I think he wants to put down roots in an organization. He has that here and it can continue. Team just has to keep progressing.

18. basketballholic

I agree. And that's why I put the option up there. If Dwight would take a salary bump for just 1 season and then come back to a max deal in 2017, that really helps us tremendously next summer in our Durant quest. But will Dwight do that? He'd have to do it on his own because Fegan won't do it.

That's why I'm asking what Dwight will get offered on the open market. What team is going to want him and going to want to pay him his allowable max. Because that's a gargantuan max since he'll be a 10-year vet.

===============================================

Just for a little reference here:

Joakim Noah is 9 months older than Dwight. He'll be 31 next summer and Dwight will be 30. But after next season Joakim will only have been in the NBA 9 seasons. Therefore his super-max deal with the Bulls will top out with a starting salary around $25 million instead of Dwight's approximate $30 million.

Would you rather pay $143 million for Joakim on a 5-year deal or $172 million to Dwight on a 5-year deal?

Would you rather pay Joakim $106 million on a 4-year deal or Dwight $128 million on a 4 year deal?

Will these 2 players influence each other's contract?

=================================================

Now, consider this.........................

DeMarcus Cousin's MAX CONTRACT is on the books for $16,957,900 next summer. And a little over $18 million the summer of 2017. Talk about a bargain???? When Noah and Dwight are looking at $25 million and $30 million respectively????

Not to mention.....what if DMo continues his torrid streak and gets on a big time roll this year? Do you realize that DMo's max will be somewhere around $20 million.........that's more than even DeMarcus is making.

This is why I have DeMarcus as my top trade target. He's the perfect leverage to both Dwight and DMo's free agency.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

If Dwight is really cool with Dmo getting most of the post plays, I think he stays. If he still insists on many post plays for him, I think he gone.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cuban tried to sell DeAndre on him being the offensive focal point. And with lots of touches. Cuban would do the same sell for Howard.

So yeah, it will be interesting to see how Howard views his game and how it evolves. We can all hope he starts to see his isolation post up game as being efficient and moves to more of a PNR type player where he is tremendous.