1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can OB reform RGIII?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vstexas09, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but it won't happen. RG3 is garbage as a QB. It's weird, I had the feeling he'd end up being a bust in the NFL despite being a fan of his in college. He needed a coach that would protect him and help him develop into the pure pocket passer he always wanted to be.....but he didn't get that and now he's damaged goods.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

So that begs the question, why can't BOB do that?

He revived Fitz; I think he'll do the same with Hoyer. Could RG3 reach 2012 status once again?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

BOB devised gameplans that minimized Fitzpatricks' weaknesses. He didn't have to re-teach him how to throw the ball.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

here's what i don't get: Why the sudden regression/collapse after his first year?

is his collapse fully related to his injuries? coaching? simle regression?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's unlikely, but if he came super cheap it might be worth giving him an invite to camp next year.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In no way shape or form should Brian f***ing Hoyer prevent you from doing anything to the QB position. If we want to bring him in you bring him in now before someone else does.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is that the old coach that rolled him out there on a bum knee. . . to try and win a playoff game. . . . . then he hurt the knee worse than it was . . . . and was never right again? That old coach?

Rocket River

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

and that's the realist speaking! :grin:

if morey is the GM of the texans, i think he recognizes RG3 as the best available qb on the block, and that he's seriously inquiring about him.

i am tired of passively waiting for a franchise qb to fall on our lap...rick smith needs to be fkn aggressive...

we have a solid squad and solidifying that position could do wonders...

hell if it doesn't work out...start hoyer then. trade mallett.

i want to fkn contend with this squad and give the colts a run for their money. the defense will be playing their ass off this year, and i have a gut feeling the offense won't respond.

pull the trigger.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Picking up hot garbage like RG3 doesn't make one any closer to having a "franchise QB"

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

It's equally on the injuries and the coaching.

His injuries and requisite missed time because of them haven't allowed him to develop properly. Theoretically, He's probably closer mentally to his rookie season than a 4yr vet.

The system in which he's been in has also shortened his development. Since his rookie year he's been running Shanahan's system (Kubiaks if you aren't familiar). The sytem was retained with Grudens hiring, since they retained and promoted the tightends coach to OC.

The basic west coast offense. The problem however is Shanahan and so far Gruden are major control freaks. As was Kubiak. Not allowing freedom within the offense. Having the play called prior to snap, with little to no option of calling audibles. The offense also has you keep the QB under center as much as possible, RG3s Achilles heal.

Having a structurally stiff system, being forced to run a play no matter the coverage, and being uncomfortable playing under center has been RG3s downfall.

As was Schaubs problem, reading defenses wasn't his strength, Schaub was at least good at recognizing blitzes, other than that he stayed within the system, of which hid a lot of his flaws.

Washington never made the correct decision in developing RG3 slowly into the guy they wanted. He was forced within a system that shined a light on his issues, and basically allowed him to sink. That with also having a very poor o-line to protect him has been horrible for him.

Washington should have never really drafted him, or if that was the plan, they should have hired a new HC that wanted to coach Griffin, and have that HC give RG3 all the tools to be able to develop.

The guy is super talented, but man I don't know if there's anything left in him.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just like with David Carr, getting drafted by the wrong team can REALLY end any chance of having a productive career.

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

BOB could do something with RG3 but the Cowboys are the only team in Texas where he wouldn't be a distraction. He has too much of a name to not have fans clamoring for him the first time Hoyer throws a pick.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not really worth talking about, for it to even be a possibility, the Redskins would have to cut him, he'd have to clear waivers, AND he'd have to want to come play here rather than anywhere else. It's just not something that is going to happen.

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

I wouldn't want him anyway right now. This isn't the right team and time for someone like him. BOB isn't established enough and our owner isn't good at controlling a narrative. For all his faults, Jerry Jones controls what's said about his team and how they're perceived. This creates an environment where adding a Greg Hardy is quickly forgotten.

The only reason RG3 is still in Washington is because Snyder knows he'll bolt for Dallas, become rejuvenated being the understudy to Romo, and then haunt Washington for a good 5 seasons or more once Romo retires/back gives out.

15. plee

plee Member

VY and RG3 seem to be heading for the same careers.

16. MystikArkitect

Tendencies. All running QBs have them. Any halfway decent defensive coordinator will be able to exploit them, it's why QBs like RG3, JM, and CK seem amazing their first years then fall off the face of the planet. Eventually you can't just outrun everyone because they know exactly where you're going to run.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of that is because Dallas is a laughing stock....they do so many odd things that you just chuckle once and move on.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This brought back memories of these similar words being said.

We've got to be honest with ourselves; Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees is not walking thru those doors in a Texans jersey.

You can't keep deflecting opportunities to at least find out if the kid has anything left, once he's fully healed. Which he is obviously not at this point.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Based on what? He got concussed and a shoulder stinger in a preseason game. But wasn't he healthy before that? He wasn't looking good before that either.

Why do they need to find out if he has anything left if they know he doesn't?

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Real question IMO is why not? RG3's smart and not a douche so I'm not that worried about locker room problems, though I do think it would be a bit of a distraction. But even if he is damaged goods I think it's worth it, not much of a risk with some upside IMO. Very early in RG3's career people were saying he was the next great QB.