1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. baubo

baubo Member

This point would be valid if we had, say, even prime Schaub at the helm right now. While I'm not a Schaub fan, I can definitely say he was a "good" QB for several years here. But if the team knows Mallet can't even beat out Brian Hoyer who played like a mediocre backup last year, and they didn't bother trying to upgrade the position despite clearly wanting to win, then I'm not sure this is the type of management/coaches I want running my football team.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And if he were traded to the Jets, he'd have less than 2 weeks of camp. Same situation. Mallett was trade to the Texans on August 31 of last year. If traded, he'd have about same time (or less) with a new team that he did with us.

So I ask again, how would he be expected to start week 1 for the Jets if he were traded? You made my point for me. Yeah, he didn't have a lot of time with the Texans. He's not going to have a lot of time with another team if traded either.

Did you think before you posted? Or did you not understand the context of my comment?

#202 Cannonball, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's really hard to tell though since you can't judge a QB's worth by how well the team does. Even if the Texans were to win the Super Bowl with Manning, it would be impossible to know if he was a big part of that or not.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can however judge a QB's worth by how well they do....and Manning has been crap at the end of every season. Him personally, I'm not talking about the team as a whole. He's put his team in a hole with bad individual performances.

5. Major

Major Member

Can you give us a list of the people you think are good QBs?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think I'll need to. I'm going to keep working with you guys and I'm hoping at some point in the near future you will be able to create an accurate list on your own.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick > Manning

9. Major

Major Member

In other words, you can't because you know you've made too many contradictory statements in the past to dismiss the potential of everyone except Fitz (and now Mallett, despite already having dismissed him before).

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't know - you're getting dangerously close to proclaiming that a QB has an influence on a team's W/L record. Maybe closer than I'm comfortable with.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH. There are so many absolutely hopeless posters on this forum.

12. Mr. Clutch

You're the guy who accused me of trolling you?

If you can't take it, don't dish it out

How did Hoyer vs. Mallet look today by the way?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fairly even tonight, Mallett is better when it comes to dealing with pressure and reading the blitz, Hoyer was pretty good when he had time and didn't have to move out of the pocket.

Both had some pretty nice passes all things considered. Both had what should have been TD's taken away, in Hoyer's case because of a ref just blowing the call, in Mallett's case because of Ryan Griffin simply not holding on to the ball.

Both also had some poorly thrown passes. Hoyer can't throw the ball for **** if he has to move around in the pocket (I think it's related to his footwork, he wasn't setting them right when he had to move around too much) and Mallett missed high and overthrew some people tonight.

I still think the better option is Mallett, but we'll see.

14. Mr. Clutch

It wasn't close.

Mallet was ridiculously inaccurate and barely completed over 50% of passes. Very low y/a also.

Hoyer had some miscues but 7/11 for 82 and what should have been a TD is pretty good.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

All three Quarterbacks played solid.

16. Mr. Clutch

Sure but you could see the inconsistency in Mallet. Which is why he didn't get the job.

Excited for Savage

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, and it showed in their QB ratings of 86, 85, and 136.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Different coaches. You said he couldn't beat out Fitzpatrick and that's false. That's why I commented to your post.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

All of them showed some inconsistency.

Hoyer not picking up those two blitz.

Mallett still in his feelings but on a few of those passes the receivers didn't get their head around.

Savage underthrew a few of his passes.

Hoyer getting paid more was the 1st indicator of why Mallett wasn't getting the nod.

Mallett didn't play out his mind and staying even with Hoyer was the 2nd indicator.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hoyer's inability to read defenses and pick up blitzes is troubling, especially given that he's especially poor throwing on the run, but if our O line can give him time, I'm starting to come around on him being able to do enough to help the team win some games.