1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Tobias is still alive thou.......

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He went to the school for the stockpile of supplies, not the knife. Food, water, etc. He only asked for the knife because he saw the person who took it from him.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i thought it was excellent. previous posters have been correct when saying that nothing too unpredictable has happened.

but the acting is pretty top notch.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing special . .. not yet anyway

Too Predictable
    Some characters are just being dumbed down

Rocket River

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thought the second episode moved faster, so I guess it was better in that sense.

The decision to split up Travis and the lady seems to have worked well.

6. conquistador#11

he didn't take the food tho. all he ended up with was a knife and almost getting eaten.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Really hope the druggie son dies soon.

If he's a principle character in the show I'm going to have to stop watching.

Like a try-hard version of Keanu.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Haha I thought the same thing.

Also the junkie looks like Johnny depp

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I love the books and I like the original show, but watching the zombie apocalypse begin is making it hard for me to suspend my disbelief.

Hundreds and thousands of zombies are a threat. But just one or two at a time lurching along? This nation has too many guns and too much ammo on hand - I think we basically have 2 guns for every man, woman, and child alive. It shouldn't be too much trouble to just pop every zombie that comes along in the head. Hell, the Republicans would love it - it would be an excuse for everyone to open carry everywhere.

I really hope the show runners write a scene where a massive amount of people all die and then come back all at once, like a chemical attack or something - that would give you a critical mass of walkers. Otherwise, I don't see why zombies couldn't just be picked off whenever they pop up here and there. In Fear The Walking Dead, there's so many more of us than them, and most of us are armed. That scene with the neighbors being attacked and mom locking the door was particularly silly - if someone was attacking my neighbors, I would certainly cross the street to help and definitely take my pistol with me.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

They were pushing a cart full of supplies down the hall when they ran in to the Dead Principal. They left it all behind except the medicine.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

perhaps. i think the scene in the school was important regarding to what you just said.

if someone doesnt truly know what is going on and something like this was spreading in a densely populated area where there is not much mass transit get stranded. you try to stop someone that is sick but they end up biting you.

it starts spreading and the electricity goes off and the media can not get a message out. i dont think it is so cut and dry.

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Druggie bro is the offspring of Johnny Depp and James Franco

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

He's a ringer for a young Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

$5 says he does blow off a zombies crack

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dat breh just kills with his withdrawal symptoms......

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It sets a standard TWD may not be able to keep up with.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I could see

the crow bar and school bus coming back into the story line, they were shown for too long not to be. Unless the fml lead has a thing for school buses bc she was looking at it for too long.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i forgot to elaborate on the first sentence. i think that scene shows people have a hard time killing someone, especially when they know them. and if you are not certain what is going on and you try to stop them with your arms all they would have to do is bite down.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A few thoughts on EP 1 & 2-

-Definitely upgraded quality of TWD in acting (Dickens and Curtis are feature film quality & Dickens really stole the scenes in Gone Girl). Ruben Blade... wow... if the writers screw this up, then they really should never get another gig in showbiz.

-Writing - However making Dickens fall apart emotionally already kind of bugged me, but that's on the writing. Its as if there is a scene that reads... Need to be emotional = cry. An actor like Dickens is way more capable of portraying emotions without the obvious breaking down and crying... its a small thing but kind of bugged me.

That being said, the writing so far has been fairly ok. Fairly predictable in a zombie world, but its such an overdone concept that is hard to make fresh.

-Sounds & music- Excellent, and really conveys mood in a different scope than TWD which isn't bad, but can sometimes be over the top. If you noticed, the music is composed by NIN collaborator Atticus Ross. I like it alot so far.

-Franchise potential - I don't see it yet. I see a 8 hour film which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this genre if the pacing is done right in the next few episodes when the proverbial "s#$% hits the fan" so to speak. However I don't know where you can take these characters afterwards. Either they escape and survive, or they don't.

Either way they are probably headed towards the same arc as TWD just different location. You're going to have to go in a different direction with these characters to get future viewers that care about their survival after the apocalypse. Which is an issue when following a "normal family" so to speak.

I'm in for the rest of the season for sure. Don't get me wrong. But they have a tall task ahead of them to make this series compelling, and to stand apart from TWD which I hope they do.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking you're in trouble.

Standard zombie apocalypse trope is "dirt bag loser becomes a responsible leader" and it's corollary "pillar of the community becomes a selfish coward who endangers everybody".

It's the "Daryl" role from the parent show. Carol is another "people step up at the end of the world" character. They're already setting him up for the role when he was the quick thinker who ran over the drug dealer zombie.

#140 Ottomaton, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015