1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Captured on video: Cops shoot and kill white man with hands up in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Aug 29, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

1. I'm making the police vs. citizens a black vs. white thing??? I'm not doing that at all. That's what "Black Lives Matter" does. I don't think that way at all.

2. I'm not consumed by racism at all. I am interested in the topic because it's currently in the news, but I hardly post on here.

I'm not sure what you think I believe, but I was being sarcastic with the OP. I think there IS a problem with police being too aggressive and quick to use lethal force. However, I do NOT think this is a racial problem. I think blacks and whites are killed just about equally when you account for the number of crimes each group commits. So this isn't a black vs. white thing for me.

But at the same time, I'm not quick to say the police acted wrongly as much as many who think they are out of control do.

I'm on the side of the police a LOT. But I do think they are too quick to kill people sometimes...

2. Remii

Remii Member

18% of the black population live in the midwest, 17% live in the northeast, 10% out west... 55% live in the south... And where does a majority of the things you complain about "many black people" happen at again...???

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His comments are grounded by opinion polls taken after several of the incidents that led to widespread protests and riots. It's an accurate statement to say that many black people view every single incident as "proof" of a war against black people.

It's sad that so many have that foolish opinion, but it is fairly widespread.

What's especially sad is that there was so much damage caused by rioting due to outrage over Freddie Gray flopping around in the back of a paddy wagon....but no outrage over the 45 people murdered in Baltimore in the month of July alone.

If people were smart, and we know that to not be the case, they would turn their rage against a subculture that leads to so much crime and so much murder. Like I said though, we know that people are not smart so we'll keep seeing outrage about the wrong things.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Again, I ask... Where do you see all of the widespread protesting and riots going on when "many of the black people" live in the south...???
    And "many" of the 38-41 million black folks in this country don't participate in opinion polls. So your accuracy is lacking logic and common sense.

And again I ask, since you're speaking for the other guy... Do you think it was necessary for the cop to kill this guy, and or do you think the cop was in fear for his life...???

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In this instance, it certainly doesn't seem like it and I would think murder charges would be brought against the officer at some point. Like I said to begin with, this is like a legitimate example of what people thought the Micheal Brown case was.

Maybe more evidence will come out later that will change things, but it sure looks like a senseless shooting of a man with his arms in the air.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Every single incident of a judicial system that will jail 1 in 3 young black males, an economic system that will accord the same employment rate to white criminals than African-American non-criminals based on "funky names", and consign the formerly red-lined to the depredation of "ghetto loan", "mud people" subprime mortgage predators?

Not to mention the few instances that rise above the surface of long-standing torture rings targeting minorities in major urban centers with a racial component (see: Jon Burge).

That's a whole lot of "incidents" you claim to be speaking for and a whole lot of people you've stereotyped.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Commit less crimes, be in jail less. No need for a tin foil hat.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or at very least get better at not getting caught being a criminal.

9. Northside Storm

Commit less torture.
    Commit less racial targeting of inferior financial products.
    Commit less hiring bias.

No need to ignore 3/4ths of an argument you can't simplify away in the laziest fashion possible, like your claim to speak for millions of people without a single shred of evidence.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the whole thing was stupid, but I ignored the 3/4ths that was so idiotic that there was no point in responding to.

If you are going to be a tin foil hat quality poster, you have to expect people to ignore most of the ridiculous things you post.

11. Northside Storm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/us/07baltimore.html?pagewanted=all

Hey look, specific, tangible evidence sworn on an oath in court and driven through economic analysis!

Your cognitive dissonance and ability to ignore evidence is cute, but it won't serve you well when it comes to making respectable, reasonable arguments. I suppose somebody who can claim to speak for millions of people without a shred of proof isn't in the market for those.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I mean I've met some that I was attracted to but overall, not so much I guess. It's the same for Asians for me though so it's not just a black thing.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what race Mr. Northside Storm is....but bmd seems to have him pegged.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is so dumb. There have been protests and riots against police brutality towards minorities for DECADES. DECADES. Like 60 freaking years! THAT is why it's evident there is a war on not only black people but minorities in general. Read some history or something.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Wasn't the same thing going on in Detroit...?

I don't know what subculture you speak of but it probably has more to do with women ran house holds. Bill Cosby spoke on that and then all of the rape allegations came out.

A big percentage of the people in the prison system (black and white) are raised by single mothers.

I don't see how any evidence can change that video. And situations like this is what's wrong with the police force... And a few incidents (according to some) is too many (regardless of the victims color).

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's several factors, the numbers show that kids raised by single mothers end up having more trouble with the law, so that's absolutely a valid factor. A subculture that glorifies criminality is another factor.

Honestly, probably the best thing that could happen would be if the government started to subsidize abortion to make it free or extremely affordable to poor people (of all races). Write the whole thing off as a crime prevention investment.

If they take advantage of it you get fewer poor people, fewer single mothers, less crime. That would fix part of the problem, but the subculture that glorifies criminality would still have to be addressed....and it's not something the government could help with, it would have to be done by the people.

Yeah, there's probably not anything that could change that video unless he had a weapon in the hand obscured by the pole.....but I haven't heard anything like that and it is doubtful to be the case.

It REALLY looks like a legitimate example of what some were fooled into thinking happened in the Micheal Brown case.

17. Northside Storm

given that you've lost the boat on evidence and reason, this might be another example of why your "attack the messenger" theory is flawed: bmd is entirely wrong. There are people who base their thinking on the data that's presented rather than conjucture and who can make specific, credible claims backed by analysis rather than vague statements backed by nothing.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't attacking the messenger, I was attacking the message.....and suggesting a link between the message and the messenger.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To be clear, you may be a totally normal person, but you post as if you are a mentally unstable "tin foil hat" person. I certainly hope, for your sake that it's just a false persona or a joke.

20. Northside Storm

A link which doesn't exist. Sorry to ruin your argumentation by stereotype with a standard that demands actual facts.

Can you give me one good reason why loans targeted to "mud people" are not indicative of systematic racism? thanks. You'd be attacking the message there rather than implying I was mentally ill :/

#80 Northside Storm, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015