1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think my point is being buried; I'm extrapolating the actual process of making a Super Bowl *once you make the playoffs.* It's only, at most, three wins. Brian Hoyer, or, really, any NFL QB, is capable of stringing together three great games. Or, three don't-blow-it-games - whatever's required.

Is he good enough to win enough games to make the postseason, though?... That's the rub. But he can absolutely catch fire and go Flacco on the AFC for three weeks.

I'll tell you what... under no circumstances do I ever wager on sports. But if you want to come up with an agreeable exchange, I'll do this: you get New England, Seattle... name two other "favorites" and I'll take the remaining field.

I don't live or die with sports anymore. I look back at those Oiler teams with great nostalgia and appreciation. It was fun cheering for what were, over two different eras, fun teams to root for.

And yes, if the Texans finish 9-7 and are in the hunt for a playoff spot - but don't ultimately land one - I'll have been entertained and satisfied. Hell, if the Texans go 0-16 and JJ Watt spends 16 weeks in beast mode, I'm satisfied.

I've been doing this a loooooooooong time; I've given up on the idea that only a championship is worth the effort. Even in down seasons, I find things to watch and enjoy. I just don't put all my eggs in the ring-or-bust basket.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How old are you? Legitimate question. Married? Kids? My whole perspective changed when I had kids. Now, everything filters through them, even sports, and it provides a much greater perspective. In 2004-05, I probably spent... I don't know, $1,000's going to Houston/Minute Maid Park to watch Astro playoff games. I can't really remember off the top of my head, but I think I attended 90-95% of the Astros' home playoff games those two years - and i was living in Dallas with a full-time job. I would call-in sick to work, drive 4 hours in the middle of the night........ It was fun - but the thought of doing that now literally makes me sleepy. I can't imagine it.

Now, I enjoy sports for what it is - a nice distraction, fun to talk about - but ultimately something I can share with my family.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This thread got boring quick.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

5. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien on Mallett &quot;That's between Ryan and I. That's a personal thing between Ryan and I.&quot;</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/636923210764709892">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

I don't either. I love talking about them, but my teams getting eliminated stopped being soul-crushing ages ago. And I echo your Oilers' sentiments, they are definitely fond memories. I'm just saying I have seen enough success/getting close/disappointment as a Houston football fan to the point where there's really only one thing left that I want to see.

I think the state of the franchise(s) in respect to their positioning towards a championship is inherently built into virtually every debate and discussion on these team forums. It's what we're all looking for. Whatever you enjoy in a down season, you're viewing as building blocks for what you hope to be an even better next season. I don't put all my eggs in a ring-or-bust basket, but I think that any season where no real progress is made towards winning a ring (like last year and this year) is a wasted one.

And I have no kids. I get that perspectives change when you do, and you may care more about seeing sports through their eyes. Your posts and opinions sure don't come off as those of somebody who merely cares about sports to the same extent that your kids do though.

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Is there anybody else hoping for Hoyer to have a great season just so they can watch BobbytheGrunt's head explode?

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's pretty stupid of you to think that would happen, I'd be overjoyed if Hoyer had a great season....there's just no legit reason to think that's possible.

9. Mr. Clutch

Unless new information came along, of course.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish you were successful at being clever, it would make your constant trolling more entertaining. As it stands, it's pretty sad....keep trying though.

11. Behad

Legit or not, a great season from Hoyer will bring a LOT of heat on you in the form of dredging up all of your posts in this thread and others. And you will spin it and spin it and spin it in so many ways that your head will explode involuntarily. And it will be fun to watch. Keep it up.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Legit success will be legit success and I'll give him props. If the team wins games despite awful play, I'll be happy for the success but he won't deserve credit. If the team loses tons of games but Hoyer plays well, I'll give him credit for playing better than I thought possible. If the team loses a lot of games and Hoyer doesn't play well...well, the rest of you guys will pretend like you agreed with me all along.

That said, thinking that the opinion of pretty much anyone on this forum matters to me in the least is pretty foolish.

13. Behad

This is a lie. You may not know it, but you care a great deal what people think of you and your posts. That's why you are constantly begging for posters to agree with you.

Take a look over here. See that Member #? It has only 3 digits. That really doesn't mean jacksh!t except 1) I'm old, and 2) I've been around this site a long long time. I've seen every type of poster, and you definitely fit in the "please please agree with me" stereotype. Sorry buddy, but your posts no longer mean anything, no matter the content. You're a joke, and you don't even know it. Just be grateful it's a funny joke, or else you would be on a lot more ignore lists than you are currently on.

14. Mr. Clutch

Why would people's opinion matter to someone who never looks at evidence? It's obvious you talk mostly out of your ass so of course knowledgeable people won't change your mind.

I mean the next time you use statistics to back up your argument will be the first time.

And when you're wrong, you just claim it's new information. Laughable.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would i be grateful to NOT be on ignore lists? I actively encourage it. Let's face it, the more ignore lists i get on, the less ridiculous posts I have to respond to.

The few posters around here that provide good information and good discussion I appreciate, but there is and has always been far too much rabble. Take Mr. Clutch for example, I don't think he's had a non-troll post in months. He contributes absolutely nothing to any conversation he's just here to troll and make sad attempts to be clever.

I certainly don't expect everyone here to agree with me, like I said it's pretty clear Brett Kollmann hasn't come out with anything since Hoyer was named the starter giving Texans fans their opinion, so I expect some blowback. Those who disagree with me intelligently, I never have a problem with and I even appreciate....those other kinds of posters though...

16. Behad

And the spin continues....

I'l give you this - the "new information" line ranks right up there with other famous BBS lines, like "ride ride" or "Folks, this is real" or "Maybe maybe no"

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm perfectly fine with you thinking that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now that Brian Hoyer has been named the starter, let's look at some comparisons with Fitzpatrick &amp; Hoyer from 2014...</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/637129823156985856">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2014 NFL ranks

Comp%
    Fitz 18th
    Hoyer 32nd

TDs
    Fitz 22nd
    Hoyer 27th

INTs
    Fitz 28th
    Hoyer 11th

QB Rating
    Fitz 9th
    Hoyer 31st</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/637130632414527488">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Nobody takes Bobby seriously anyway. I doubt being wrong again is going to hurt his reputation much.

20. Mr. Clutch

The way I've been responding to you is how you've been acting the whole time you've been here

1 person likes this.