1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson DUI Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Aug 20, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Corrosion and Batman Jones,

Please consider for a second that you are making Ty's story about yourself. Preach it, brothers. But you really look for moments in your life to preach to us.

You do know that's what your are doing. It's the freaking internet Corrosion and Batman Jones.

And I know what I'm talking about. I have full understanding of what I am saying to you on this board. Don't bother arguing with me.

I'm a dick.

I'm a recovering dick.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Err.. Ok

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

Who cares, he's not on the list. If you want to keep bringing up lithuanian players, not named Motiejunas, you should do it on lithuanian boards. People in here are not interested.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

It is super awkward that Lawson and Harden were posing for TMZ in LA while drunk and clubbing, like a month prior to 2nd DUI. Pretty obvious Harden didn't think Lawson has a drinking problem, can't expect him to "help fight with it" now. If anything James should stay as far away as possible. All he's doing this summer is attending Kardashian parties.

5. Nook

Nook Member

What has happened is that Some state legislatures have gotten sick of the refusal to blow (as instructed by an attorney) and have made a refusal to blow a mandatory long term license suspension.

Concerning Lawson. I agree with you in general. If you have multiple DUI's you are most likely an alcoholic and lack impulse However I do know some multiple DUI offenders that continue to drink and do not drive. They typically do not take their car and have other people with them. It isn't ideal but a few people I know have avoided trouble doing this. Although I suppose the poster corrosive would point out he had a long time between DUI's. A few states expunge DUI's after a set period of time (typically 10 years). So someone could possibly get 4-5 DUI's with minimal consequence. Get 3-4 DUI's in Illinois and basically give up living a civilian life again.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Do you even know if Harden was aware of Lawson's past DUI's?

So if Harden ran into Lawson at a club he is supposed to avoid him like the plague?

What exactly was Harden supposed to do?

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Flipping through off-season discussions...
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You can be so weird. I think you might be the only person on earth that gets your jokes.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I don't think he's joking. He's just a weirdo.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im not sure what that is about. but i appreciate your story.

i got a dwi in the year 2000 going 124 in a 55. soooo dumb. after that i totaled my car while driving drunk with a girl in the passenger seat (i left the scene to sober up, it happened in a remote area). after that i realized i needed to change things or i was done.

since then i have not gotten a speeding ticket or any other violation thankfully.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But, more importantly, have you quit drinking and driving?

12. MistaK

MistaK Member

Really?? Firstly, they weren't posing for TMZ, TMZ just happened to be there when Harden left the club and ran into Ty.

Secondly, how the F**K do you know that Harden was drunk? The Rockets had been eliminated, he has the right to go out and yes, even has the right to have a drink if he wants to.

All Harden is doing this summer is attending Kardashian parties? - stop talking like you know what this guy is up to all day every day. We know for a fact that Harden has been playing basketball this summer - Drew league, USAB - and had other engagements - attended summer league, new shoe deal, award shows,..

Oh and even if he does attend a Kardashian party, there is plenty of time for him to still get work in before the party.

...THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH HARDEN! ...LAWSON WILL BE FINE!! RELAX...

13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

You mad you didn't relate? Or you do relate and thought better of yourself for not gushing your own story?... Either way, the topic is well worth the insight. Your post contributed less than either of theirs. Hope you feel better than everyone now...

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go away heyp. Batman and Corrosion are adding value to this topic. You are not.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that - a lot of alcoholics had a lot but threw it away. Many people recover only after they have squandered incredible opportunities....in fact it seems often to take that kind of huge loss to be the impetus to recovery.

I don't know how Ty Lawson will turn out - it could work out or it might not. No one knows. It's a gamble - and I don't think anyone can argue against that. Let's hope for the best

#75 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. MONON

MONON Member

I disagree with you.

I don't consider Corrosion & Batman to be preaching to us. I take it as being informed about Lawson's possible situation & options. I appreciate their input as it gives those of us that can drink & stop reason to keep it that way.

17. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

you are absolutely right, my friend never had any DUIs or DWIs, but he had a car accident(he is the liable party) in 2008 that killed 10 year old boy and destroyed a happy family, that event ruined his whole life, he quitted driving and his job after 2 years' jail time, now doing some security thing at a mall just near his home, even until now he still have nightmares about it

sometimes it's not about DUI or car damage or whatever, it is about life, Good thing is lawson got puller over by police without taking any lives, DUI is nothing compared with whatever could have happened to him, hopefully, he can recover and add more value to his life and anybody who cares about him, let's hope for the best

1 person likes this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I believe heypartner was reminding Corrosion and Batman to not take others' inventory, which is a fairly common admonishment in recovery programs. That is fair in general, but in this case I believe they are simply trying to explain addiction to those in the "he should just exercise better judgement when he drinks" camp. I think that is a valuable service, as long as we all admit none of us knows exactly the extent of Lawson's challenges. But, if he is an alcoholic, his only solution is to admit that fact to himself, come to the complete and deeply felt realization that he is powerless over alcohol when he starts drinking, and find the support he needs to not pick up that first drink. Again, we're not saying he is or isn't, but just trying to explain "what it takes".

As for heypartner, if he is in recovery as well that is great. He can focus on his recovery and we'll all focus on ours. But Corrosion & Batman educating others on the nature of addiction by sharing their experience (strength & hope) is fully in line with recovery principles.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Any news on his LA court date? Thought that was supposed to happen by now.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Blessed?src=hash">#Blessed</a> to continue my career as a member of the <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a>. <a href="http://t.co/ORRx9TEdD1">pic.twitter.com/ORRx9TEdD1</a></p>&mdash; Ty Lawson (@TyLawson3) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyLawson3/status/636310086588043264">August 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>