1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Jeff Van Gundy ruin Yao Ming's career?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 10, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Unfortunately in China NBA is less important than Olympics/World Championship games. Yao carrying Chinese national team to the top8 of those games is more significant/glorious than the Rockets making playoffs. I know it's hard to understand here.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Umm... of course Yao was obligated to play for the national team. The national team paid for training him growing up in their academy. He didn't play ball at some prep school and then play college ball in China. He was trained by the national team.

So with that in mind, the Rockets can either

1. Not draft him knowing his baggage(this happens all the time so not a big deal)
    2. Play him less games and/or usage rate in order to possibly prolong his career
    3. Play him normally and run him out of gas knowing he'll succumb to double duty

They chose #3. Understandable choice. I'm not saying they are wrong. As you said, they are paying him millions. They do call the shot. But in the end, was it the most beneficiary move for the Rockets?

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Even disregarding whether you are correct about his rebounding decrease, I'll take Yao at 7-8 rebounds over Chuck Hayes, Jordan Hill, Dalembert, or even Camby.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Answered your own question :D

Rocket River

5. cod

cod Member

It's not from playing when he was healthy but taking the time out after he got hurt. Bones are still setting months after it is ok to play again.

The worst part from these international was that he had to play through injuries as they were mostly tournaments and couldn't win without him. Other nations rest their stars, China didn't.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, past time. Yao was a freak of nature. No one knows "what might have been" if things had been done differently. If he had had summers off to recover from the season. If he hadn't put on some pounds. Who the hell knows? No one, that's who. While we all wish he could still play for the Rockets, that chapter of his life, and ours, is gone.

7. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

actually, he cut his weight under jvg...got down below 300 pounds where in his rookie year he played at over 310...hate for facts to get in the way

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did Yao Ming ruin Jeff Van Gundy's career? If he wasn't injured so much from 05 to 07 Jeff's teams would have done better.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Did Bill Fitch ruin Ralph Sampson's knees?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ha, a dumb post on its own merits, but man has anybody seen Yao lately?

Not exactly a hard weight gainer it appears, looks like he's at least 350:

[​IMG]

11. Classic

Classic Member

JVG would be proud.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I know this is an old thread, I'm not going to sift through to see if it was posted, but... The Rockets knew about Yao and his feet from day one; they just chose to roll the dice. It was well worth it in my opinion.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's not correct. Yao's injury problems started long before he bulked up and even before he was drafted.

Yao broke his left ankle in 1997 while playing for the Shanghai Sharks junior team and then broke the same ankle again in 1999.

1 person likes this.
  14. SamFisher

Nothing about the OP is correct, I just figured Yao looking like the Stay Puft Marshmellow man in pictures last week belonged here rather than a new thread.

15. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

He played year round, that is what ruined his career...
    2001: FIBA Asia Championships
    2002: NBA Draft
    2002: Busan Asian Games
    2003: FIBA Asia Championships
    2004: NBA Playoffs
    2004: Athens Olympics
    2005: NBA Playoffs
    2005: FIBA Asia Championships
    2006: FIBA World Championships
    2007: NBA Playoffs
    2008: Beijing Olympics
    2009: NBA Playoffs

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've actually wondered this myself. I always thought he'd be a better pick and pop player and high post passer. Oh well. I got to see it for one season and that was friggin' awesome. Props to Rudy T for letting Yao play his game.

JVG didn't do Yao wrong, no one guesses injury based on playing style, but there's no way that banging with the biggest players in the world was good for him.

17. kooguyjohn

kooguyjohn Member

you brought a 3 year old post up again why?

18. SamFisher

cause Yao Ming ain't looking so good these days, you guys:

[​IMG]

19. TheresTheDagger

^^THIS

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yao would just have been a guy if he didn't get in the post. The only chance Yao had to be an all star was to play in the post. No way he averages 18 and 9 as a perimeter oriented player.