1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson traded to the Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 19, 2015.

?

Do you like the Ty Lawson trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

1,339 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. NO

40 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I didn't vote no. But, maybe the three that did remember the excitement of the rocket entering the 86/87 season only to have their hearts ripped out when Lloyd and Wiggins were thrown out of the league for drugs. Substance abuse be it dope or booze can gut a team. Lawson is a good talent, but don't think there is not a ton of baggage that doesn't walk through the door with him.

2. j@amc

j@amc Member

A few notes on Lawson -

Notes on Lawson’s shooting last season

Before the All-Star game he was shooting 44.7% and Lawson tailed off to 40.8% Take a closer look:

January 47.7
    February 52
    March 39.6
    April 42.0​

In my opinion, (and I don’t know Lawson) he had little to play for post all-star break. I think he was playing out the season and trying to avoid injury.

On Lawson’s Defense

Overall opponents in 2014-15 made a high percentage of shots against him less than 6 feet from the rim (71.4%) but it is not exactly the case that Denver had much rim protection.

Also, what I find fascinating when you look at the stats is that Lawson doesn’t give up many shots per game at the rim. Opponents only averaged .5 shots (you read that right 1/2 a shot a game) within 6 feet per game.

Harden by contrast gave up 3.3 attempted shots less than 6 feet from the rim per game.
    Patrick Beverly gave up 2.5 attempted shots less than 6 feet from the rim per game.
    Chris Paul - a smaller guard as well gave up 1.7 attempted shots less than 6 feet from the rim per game.​

I think that these stats reflect that Lawson closes out and is difficult to drive on.

If he can get his personal life together, Lawson will be a huge addition.

1 person likes this.
  3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Stop it, he did an a good job, let's hope he stops drinking and contributes as expected. This actually feels like an episode of Ballers, DM to Lawson, "I need you to get in trouble 1 more time for drinking and then I can trade scrubs for you. Then you make a miraculous recovery and we win the Championship, you good with that?"

4. malakas

malakas Member

I'm still too excited about this trade.
    Looks like we will waive our rights for physical on Lawson so they can waive Prigs.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I want to touch on what subtomic touched on about the perimeter defense wth Ty and harden and the possiblity of Dwight getting into early foul trouble because of it. This is my only concern it can not be open season into the painted area or midrange area for other teams. But on the other hand I hope harden recognizes that he can now play the defense he is capable of now because he don't have to carry so much load now.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Er..they were eliminated from the playoffs long before the asw. After the asw was when he didn't come back in time because he was out to party and around january or so was when the coach started cancelling money shoutarounds so the players could party at night..because they showed up with hangovers.
    So it was around february when his problem was escalated.

Also Denver had a very good young center in Nurkic.

7. dejamike

dejamike Member

Denver fans think it's a good trade for both parties.... But they also think Pop can shoot 3s lol

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

On Lawson's shooting:

His FG% has declined every season (with the "exception" of last year). Similar for his 3P%.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Another concern with Lawson, last volumn: <a href="http://t.co/nqmBcc9C3J">pic.twitter.com/nqmBcc9C3J</a></p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/622954974671147012">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On defense:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's a comparison of Ty Lawson and Patrick Beverley defensive FG%'s last year based on SportVU data... <a href="http://t.co/fXLSUr3bQb">pic.twitter.com/fXLSUr3bQb</a></p>&mdash; Daren Willman (@darenw) <a href="https://twitter.com/darenw/status/622946638420520960">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Per Game
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fl%2Flawsoty01.html&div=div_per_game"></script>

Adv.
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fl%2Flawsoty01.html&div=div_advanced"></script>

#948 J.R., Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^
    His assists have also gone up every year. Tremendously.

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Spot on. This is exactly what he was doing during lockout in Europe: he was just walking around the court, waiting for lockout to end and not to get injured.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not be surprised if he makes a lot more threes this year now that he's had a season to adjust to NBA line and speed. Granted, I'm glad the Nuggets are the ones taking the risk on whether it is just an adjustment needed.

12. hakeemthagreat

Watching that highlight video, I think Lawson might be the best assist man for our situation. I like how he attacks early before the defense is ready. Guys like Capela & Harrell will have a field day

13. Rocket_Man_2.0

PG:Ty Lawson/Patrick Beverly/Jason Terry
    SG:James Harden/KJ McDaniels/Marcus Thornton
    SF:Trevor Ariza/Corey Brewer/Sam Dekker
    PF:Donatas Motiejunas/Terrence Jones/Montrezl Harrell
    C:Dwight Howard/Clint Capela/Alan Williams

This team has no scrubs!! Solid at every position..Amazing!:eek::grin:

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Incredible. I woke up way too early after a late night and checked the BBS, not expecting anything, and find that we got Lawson for chump change. Mind blowing!

15. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

any idea when this will be all official (or what time the trade call results come out)?

16. malakas

malakas Member

It's likely he's waived if Gallinari wants to get an extension.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That's the roster I'm envisioning too. I think williams is more of a 4 than a 5, but I think he makes the roser.

IF DMo and Jones take the next step, we'll be contenders. I foresee a lot of going small with Ariza at the 4, Brew at the 3.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

According to Woj. It's sent to league office this morning.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

anyone know what the league rules are with us picking him up off waivers to fill our final roster spot?

20. malakas

malakas Member

if you pick him up off waivers you must have either cap space or a tpe to absorb him. We have neither.