1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Thornton agrees to deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 12, 2015.

?

Do you like the signing of Marcus Thornton to a one-year, vet minimum deal?

1. YES

646 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. NO

33 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. MONON

MONON Member

Man, you are so showing your age!! & mine!! :grin:

Serially tho, I like the signing. He moves without the ball & hits his shots. Hopefully he'll move without the ball when Harden has the ball & get open. I always hated it when everyone else stood around & watched Harden with the ball. All for a min contract.

I thing there'll be a trade for a playmaker point Involving 2 or 3 current players. Thus keeping a spot for Terry.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im watching the D league game and they had a box on the side with roster additions and "lost". Had Terry and Smith under the lost column. A few minutes later they showed a 14 man depth chart, neither was on it.
    Don't know something or just assuming.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

So the Bayou Bomber is coming to the Bayou City.

Good signing. He is exactly the type of person we need to come into the game when Harden is sitting -- he is offensively aggressive and is the scoring facilitator we desperately need when Harden sits. He can also play alongside Harden as a great shooter from the corner 3 (I think Harden assisted on more corner 3's last season than anybody in the NBA).

We still need a point guard, but this signing helps our backcourt enough to where now Morey can look for interesting trades for undervalued backup point guards as opposed to more established higher cost offensive point guards like Lawson or Collison (higher cost in that it would take a lot of assets to trade for them). Now he can look for players that we don't have to give up much to get, but have the potential (like Lowry when we acquired him) to grow as players after we acquire them.

4. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

nor should they, they're in their prime

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

http://youtu.be/VVu2vi-qPZw

Beast

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When you have ultra efficient players like Harden, Howard (when he doesn't post up) and Dmo to an extent with a system that is built for hyper efficient plays you can live with some chuckers

See Josh Smith and his sub-par effeciency some nights.

Thornton's inefficiency can survive in our system, no problem. Super excited to have a real back up 2 guard finally. Solve the PG depth with a real answer and resign ith, and we have just as much talent as any other team in the league.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Would be surprised if he is not in the rotation. This should be a better pickup than Reggie Williams was; don't really like the comparison.

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I just hope that Howard will take a little discount next offseason. Even though he is still very dominate, we cannot commit 30 million a year on a player that will probably never play 60 games a season ever again. Howard is going to have to be on a Duncan-esque playing schedule for the rest of his career if we hope to have him fresh for the playoffs. No back to backs and try to keep his minutes below 30 per game.

And I hope that when James is on the downslope of his career that he will take some discounts, as well. Be more of a Duncan/Dirk than a Kobe.

9. malakas

malakas Member

I agree. Also he turned down better offers to come sign here.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Love the signing, but I'm wondering why his instant offense could be had so cheap? Anything I'm missing?

This must have been the "off guard" that was "being looked at" posted in the new Codman thread...

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This guy will definitely be in the 8-10 man rotation.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Last year he only played like 9 games and didn't play that much minutes wise averaged like 3 points a game.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Won't be surprised if he gets cut in the preseason. Small price to pay. What are we going to do with Kpap.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

That's exactly what he is. But he can put the ball in the basket, when Harden sits he will be nice to have

15. Moahst

Moahst Member

Hopefully Thornton doesn't log a ton of minutes but he's a great Terry replacement. I'd love to get into an argument with somebody who thinks this is a bad signing.

16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I do agree with this, if he wants it aas bad as he says he does, give us some flexibility - 3 and 60 is fair with an option for the 3rd

17. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't defend
    He doesn't penetrate well
    He doesn't shoot the mid range well

However he is very good at hitting the OPEN 3 and adequate at hitting a contested 3. He hits corner 3's and does a good job of moving without the ball.

He also have size.

Overall a smart signing for the Rockets and allows them to have more line up configurations than they had with Terry.

Very smart decision by Thornton and his agent to come to Houston, they will try to increase corner 3's this year and if Thornton is around 38-40% on 3's, he WILL get playing time.

18. Remlap

Remlap Member

Why all of the whiners?

This sounds like a great pickup. Low risk, high potential

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I call Patty Mills a chucker and he's damn good. You can be a chucker when you shoot 40% from 3

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

basically costs nothing/may give Harden some minutes on the bench
    that's Murry.

But we are going to run out of roster spots for good young players.