1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many Stros make All-Star this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, Jun 26, 2015.

?

How many?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2015.
  1. 1

23.8%
  2. 2

55.6%
  3. 3

19.0%
  4. 4+

1.6%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I never called you either.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry about that. I never meant to imply that you did. The first part of my post was meant to reference your post. The second paragraph was not meant to be directed at you. My fault.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nobody dislikes Altuve. He's had an excellent run during his 13-game hit streak that has boosted his overall numbers fairly significantly (+ 14 in BA; +16 in OB%; +28 in SLG%). He'll certainly look All-Star worthy if enters the game ~ .300/.350/.400

BUT... he's still the 4th or 5th best 2B in the AL this year. With the surge, he and Forsythe are virtually identical. Forsythe walks more; that's about the only difference.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Jose currently has 24 SB to 7 CS = 77.4%
    His stolen bases are in no way counter productive

Kipnis is 10 to 5 = 66.6% .... counter productive

Forsythe... 7 to 2 = 77.8%.... productive

Dozier.... 7 to 3 = 70.0%.... counter productive

Each player has their advantages/disadvantages in other areas, but Altuve has, by far, a clear advantage in the Stolen Base category. I imagine Jose forces more errors...1) to get on-base AND 2) after he's already on-base.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Who do we think deserves to start?

Astros record plus great numbers says Keuchel but I wouldn't be mad if everyone wanted to see Sale.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Strikeouts are fascist.

Keuchel has the best ERA, most wins, 2nd best WHIP, and has pitched the most innings. Right now he deserves to start.

Archer, Sale and Sonny Gray are right on his tail though. That could change with their last starts.

7. The Law

The Law Member

As much as MLB Network has been pushing for Correa to be an all star (basically every segment today they have had people on talking about it) I wouldn't be surprised if his name was on that "final player in" vote.

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no compelling case for Yost not selecting him as a reserve other than games played. It's astounding how much better his numbers already look only 25 games in than the likely reserve, Jose Reyes.

9. Buck Turgidson

I'm too lazy to look, but it also depends on when their last start is.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if I was a Toronto fan, I'd argue that games played is enormous. There is value in doing it over a long period. Hell, they know that purely based on the # of games Reyes has missed during his career...GP matters for sure. (I'd prefer Correa. Just saying it's easy to argue the other side. And I probably would if I wasn't an Astros fan)

11. The Law

The Law Member

I would imagine that Yost will pick either Bogaerts or Iglasias as the backup for SS, considering his undeserving SS is starting in the game. The only reason I would believe he wouldn't pick Correa is knowing that the MLB will probably have him in that "Final 4" vote and I would expect Correa to be a favorite to be picked in a final fan vote.