1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

^^ what he said

2. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

DM in LA
    McHale in Madrid

hard at work it appears. Let's get some sh** done guys

1 person likes this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

I wonder if the Rockets already know Aldridge's decision if McHale is in Spain.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah. The biggest hurdle is getting him over this year vs. next year. More than likely Llull's camp is smart enough to know the cap increases next year.

Also with the MLE offer vs. his buyout, I've done the math and he pretty much breaks even after taxes, exchange rate, etc. The difference where he stands to gain financial ground is in guaranteed salary in year two. (which is why I don't think we will get a non-guaranteed year 2 like with the Papanikolaou offer).

Where Houston can apply pressure is showing him that they have deals lined up to sign or trade for other PG's if he doesn't sign this year, and see if he calls their bluff.

I personally think the opportunity to be the starter or play huge minutes will be the ultimate deciding factor, but there is the money issue with the cap increase that could push him to wait till next Summer.

I think we have a great shot though because I think he knows he's probably not going to get the opportunity to start next year if the team goes in another direction, and whose to say if they still want him in a year if he gets injured or has a bad year.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think they just want to get Llull nailed down and coming to Houston. It would help Morey make decisions during free agency to know what Sergio's status is going to be. Exactly what he's willing to accept. I'm assuming that he'll simply get the MLE.

Is it possible to sign him to a 1+1 contract? Let him take advantage of the big cap increase next year, and perhaps leave us some wiggle room to keep KJ, etc.?

#985 Deckard, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you already addressed this, but I just want to be sure if the Rockets can front load his contract. If I recall correctly, they might not be able to do that. Please clarify this for me.

7. dobro1229

I'm not really sure the purpose of doing so. If you do the math, its pretty obvious that year 1 at the full MLE, Sergio Llull pretty much breaks even if not loses slightly in his overall financial year when you factor in his buyout + exchange rate, taxes, etc.

Year 2 is when he stands to make it up + sum when you factor in the amount he would make with the Rockets vs. his established salary in Europe.

So there really isn't anything to front load. They are giving him the full MLE in year 1 either way or they aren't getting him.

8. dobro1229

That's a bit of a risk for Sergio. If I was advising him I would say no to taking anything less to mitigate any financial losses with the buyout and the cost of making the switch overseas which can be costly. He also loses his role and roster spot with Real Madrid. They could sign someone else that hurts his ability to go back if things go bad in the NBA.

I think the best way to keep KJ would be for Morey to find out some way to work around the rules for operating above the cap, using MLE money after KJ is signed using cap space (I don't think this is an option, but maybe there is a workaround).

Or you could create cap by renouncing Brewer, Terry, etc. Sign Llull with cap space, and then sign KJ with the MLE.

Then that scenario impacts a situation with a max free agent S&T like LMA.

Either way you look at it, the Rockets are probably losing someone. KJ kind of seems like the obvious candidate or Brewer. Its going to be a crazy couple of days.

9. saleem

Thanks dobro1229. Much appreciated.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q75

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! Yeah, I keep waiting for a shoe to drop.

12. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Mchale is in LA 100% sure, saw him last night. He's staying at the Beverly Wilshire. The same hotel they stayed at when they met with Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Awesome, post this in the cyberx thread!

Also, if you could stalk them to the meeting, that would net you infinite rep

14. Granville

Granville Member

[​IMG]

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://ballineurope.com/top-salaries-european-basketball-3298/
    In the past Llull’s €1.2M salary & €5M buy out would have worked out to be $3.4M & $7.1M.

[​IMG]

Using current rates of 1.11, it’s $2.7M & $5.6M.

This may allow the Rockets the ability to offer Llull a three year deal at $4.4M/yr .

4.4 x 3 = 13.2
    (13.2 -5.6 + .625) = 8.225
    8.225/3 = 2.7

The remaining MLE can be used by the Rockets to sign Harrell to a three or four year deal instead of a two year minimum deal.

Alternatively, the Rockets could instead offer Llull a two year deal at 5.2M/yr but there isn't enough money for Harrell.

16. hakeemthagreat

Middle of the pack? Lol. Im sorry, I think Llull will eventually become a liability defending the elite pg's, causing McHale not to play him in crucial moments of the game. He will struggle. Which is fine with any rookie. But the problem is he's getting paid NBA STARTERS money. We're essentially handing over championship caliber roster to a unproven European rookie. I have a feeling everybody prematurely applauding this move will be making excuses by all-star break. We'll see

17. saleem

So, this tweet could be a fake one.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

NBA starter money is 8M/yr

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea there is no way McHale is not going to meet with LMA. They can talk to Llull anytime. They aren't bound by the CBA with him, his rights are ours.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

it could be some picture that kid took a long time ago, and he just posted it now for whatever reason.

#1000 benchmoochie, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015