1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Ballers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Really liked this. Lot of potential here. Juggling a lot of characters but they all were likable and interesting in their own ways. Interested to see how the show works out.

2. MystikArkitect

Previews made it look as contrived and generic as that show "Empire" with Terrence Howard. Was this the case?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

No, it's not awful yet. It's just not compelling yet either. I'm going to give it a few shows to see if it hits its stride.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

would have been a lot better if this was the agent...
    [​IMG]

The first episode wasn't great, but pilots rarely aren't anything more then an introduction. Will help fill my summer football fix, and will be a good decompressor after True Detective (if it turns out to be any good) so I'll probably keep watching for the time being.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Really wanted to like the first episode more than I did, it was hot garbage but it wasn't great either.

Like everybody else, I was really surprised the NFL is partnered up to be a part of the show.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The NFL didn't partner up. HBO decided to use what they wanted to use and let the NFL come at them (bro) if they wanted to.
    HBO realized they're not ESPN and they don't have to cower before the NFL I guess.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ses-nfl-team-names-logos-without-nfl-consent/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-will-nfl-or-dolphins-have-anything-to-say/

7. conquistador#11

Will check it out. I remember Arliss had logos and actual players doing cameos.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was disappointed with that first episode. I remember liking Playmakers a lot more. I also remember it being a lot edgier without the need for boobs.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Empire is a fun show, though. Henson really makes the show.

Exactly. If I remember, True Detective (s1) started off as a slow burn, but it got really good.

There were a ton of characters introduced in the pilot of Ballers - if you're on the fence, I'd give it at least 2 more episodes.

Historically, has a show been canceled on HBO its first season, because of low ratings?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When I saw Mark Wahlberg on the producer list I said.... sh#$.... here we go again. Another Entourage but in a different setting.

I have to admit that while most people never watched How to Make it in America, I actually kind of liked it even though it fell into the Entourage plot as well I liked some of the characters better, and found the industry they were in much more difficult and exhausting which is probably closer to reality.

Then Ballers was announced months ago, and I saw the trailer which showed promise even though I knew they'd at least have the Entourage format to fall back on.

Look, I get that the success of Entourage means that you can totally put out a show like Ballers, and it will do just fine. The NFL and sports mgmt culture is so popular that you have to really try to fail in order to not succeed.

But damn they are doing a good job with this pilot of trying to fall flat on their faces. You have a goldmine idea for a show. You even had an intriguing character in an ex football star played by someone that used to actually play football, and knows the business side of sports. How in the world can you make this character this freaking boring and void of nuance???

Dwayne Johnson has a big opportunity here to take his acting to another level and all I saw last night was a guy playing a character that had about as much complexity as the Scorpion King.

However, the one thing I will say is that it is just the pilot. I've seen some truly awful pilot's for great shows. However, the biggest issue this show has going for it is the reason why its going to at the very least be a show that lasts a little while... the lure of the NFL life to the general public and the Entourage show plot format (get a big break, party, girl, bro's, and then crap.. I'm broke... episode over till next time, rinse repeat).

You guys can do better than this. Please.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Anyone watch episode 2

I thought it was just ......BORING

I expected Entourage with sports I guess. I though it would be an over the top show I loved to hate. But literally nothing happens in this, just bleh....

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Definitely slow moving…I think I liked it better than the first episode, but that's not saying much. There was a little bit more comedy sprinkled into this one, despite not much happening.

Good soundtrack though…similar to Entourage…just hoping it starts entertaining me like Entourage.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I kind of like the show, but I do definitely see flaws in it.

First off, The Rock's boss/friend who is supposed to be the comedy relief, is just annoying to me.

Charles Green is just awkward.

The Rock's character pretty much gets what he wants with no real resistance. They are trying to give an illusion that there is resistance with this Reggie guy, but seriously, he's a clown. I mean why would anybody that has run through $12 million and is now broke let a clown that throws cash around make financial decisions for him? I don't believe it.

I do like the Ricky Jerret character, though. And I disagree with people on The Rock, I think he is good. I'll keep watching because it's just 30 minutes, but I do hope it finds its stride.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Watched the first episode and really liked it... looking forward to the rest of the season

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I watched an episode of it... it was... OK.

Nothing to get excited about, but not too horrible either. I want to see the Rock in some action sequences. At least have him play backup QB role or something, like a late comeback, like MJ.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As a sports/football fan, I do like that they're trying to stick with "real world scenarios" as much as possible (a player's family/entourage spending all his money, players selling jersey numbers, former players not knowing what to do when they retire, teams cutting players over conduct issues, player/team contract issues...)

However, I don't feel the general public finds a lot of that stuff "show-worthy".

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

It has the same Music supervisor. He's officially part of Wahlberg's crew so any show with Marky Mark involved, he's the guy choosing the music. He does a great job.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm tapping out. It is looking mega boring and just not that entertaining.
    There is not enough comedy in it for the half hour
    and not enough time to build any drama.
    Just kind of BLAH and a waste of time...

If you want to see this done correctly
    Watch LeBron's Show - SURVIVOR'S REMORSE

A better version - behind the scenes of the athlete's life
    but not from the AGENT perspective

Rocket River

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Didn't they cancel LeBrons show?

20. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

He played defensive end