1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Maybe he has a pet wolf.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The writing is so much worse than last season. Another pretty weak episode that was salvaged by another interesting final scene.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

well the trailers have more scenes with him so...

remember Kill Bill where she got shot with rock salt

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they? Most of those scenes they showed in the trailer happened in episode 1 (in fact, nearly all of them did).

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm sure it's on a website somewhere, but my buddy just sent me a couple photos--

The shrink had a painting in his office that closely resembled the bird mask that the killer was wearing. Something to keep in mind going forward..

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeez, here we go again...

Wasn't this the case last year (all these easter eggs and hidden symbolisms that ended up being just the writers/directors f'ing with the audience, as they never really amounted to anything?)

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q4uxGbhO4ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The back half of this trailer has footage of Farrell not seen yet

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Well, yes and no.

I think the creepiness of the scene at the shrinks office and his connection with Casper's "dark side" tends to lead to the idea that the shrink will be involved in the plot more going forward. Doesn't have to mean he's the killer..

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We shall see... I remember similar allusions in that guys' office last year who had ultimately nothing to do with "carcosa".

10. conquistador#11

last homeboy nominated for an emmy in just 1 episode was ross geller, band of brothers. will collin be next?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There is definitely something going on with the McAdams backstory that will be central to the main "villain".

And yes, Taylor Kitch's character is gay, we get it.

12. 713

713 Member

I thought the therapist was Benedict Cumberbatch for a second.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha, man. I read that as "the rapist" - which I mean, yeah, there are probably multiple rapists in this story. I think Sherlock is probably a bigger deal than this series. Not to me though.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, I'm definitely getting a little disillusioned with the show. They've tried to recreate the dialogue magic between mcconaughey and harrelson, but it's not working (though the line about smoking an e-cig was like sucking a robot's dick was funny). The whole presentation is heavy handed. If Kitch's character is gay, that is such a cliche. The music is... not good. And I don't know if it's just my tv, but I'm having a hard time even understanding a lot of the dialogue. I had to replay the scene where they explained the history of Vinci a couple of times and still couldn't make out all the words.

I'll keep watching for now, but it had better pick up quick.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I mentioned earlier, the reviews pretty much all say the first 4 episodes have the same pace. So bail now.

The one thing I do hate is the chick's character. I do not like women that overcompensate and waive an invisible penis around.

16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I say they better pick it up I mean the overall quality of the show, not the pace. I don't have any problem with stories that unwind slowly, if the characters/plot are compelling.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

18. TheresTheDagger

Right now, I'm having trouble even following what is supposed to be going on. The conversations are so convoluted in almost every scene (like we are supposed to know what's going on....but don't) that I end up confused.

I mean, I get the main idea about the murder investigation but feel I'm really missing a lot of what's going on underneath. Also, the 3 cops who are all messed up in some way is too much. We get it already.

Hanging in there to see what develops because the story looks interesting...but I hope they stop trying to have the characters out-depress each other in every scene and start revealing the story/mystery in a clearer way. I can see this season has a tremendous amount of potential, but so far they seem only mildly interested in telling it.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    Vaughn - What exactly does he do? Some kind of City planner? Mobster? What?

Farrel - Detective Homicide?
    McAdams - Detective Vice?
    Kirsch - Detective [promoted] but really a member of CHIPS?

Rocket River
    Rocket River

20. body slam

body slam Member

I could not have said it better myself.

I'll give it a little more time, but so far season 2 is having a hard time keeping my attention. I keep wanting to change the channel.