1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Draft/1-18] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

?

Do you like the pick?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

155 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Better shooting stroke? I don't see that.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You just compared him to Chandler Parsons. A more athletic Chandler Parsons with less playmaking ability. By the way I agree and I think Parsons playmaking ability is overhyped. If Dekker works on his three He will be better than Parsons by the end of the season.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Dekker is a better overall player than 3 of the Sf's drafted before him. (Hezonja, S. Johnson, Oubre).

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is he gonna leave her before signing a big contract like that other guy?

5. nobie

nobie Member

Nah i like Dekker, but Hezonja is much better overall. 6''8 athletic SG/SF, with good skills overall and deadly shot.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

as of now I still think dekker is the better overall player. Hezonja still needs to develop and right now is based on his shooting range.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like this pick more and more... though I liked it immediately.

he needs to become a better / more consistent 3 point shooter, but he's had runs that definitely prove it's in him. Keep in mind that college players don't exactly get the volume of practice pro's get, when it truly is their job.

That aside, and while I hate the white-kid Parsons comparison, it is notable that the Rockets offense suffered at times this year without Parsons slashing, cutting and movement. Ariza replaced the 3 point shooting fine, but wasn't near the same type of slasher/creator.

Dekker's game seems like it has that. Yet to be determined if the ballhandling is there to translate, but it looks like it does.

And again, to keep that comparison going, consider:

- Sam measures a 1.5 inch higher standing reach than Parsons
    - Sam measures a 3 inch higher max vertical than Parsons
    - Sam is one year younger I think coming out of college than Parsons. Actually 1.5 years.. .at just turning 21 years old, he's one of the younger kids in his class

His FG make % around the basket is crazy good.

This is a pick that initially REALLY complements other players well. Will he be able to be a creator? Doubt it... not at first. But eventually definitely possible in a Parsons type way.

He's likely to take the typical Rocket path of being minimally used the first half of the season, but to probably start to get some playing time thereafter. By year 2 or 3 though, he is a 20+ mpg guy for sure, and the upside is way better.

He doesnt have the athleticism of Kelly Oubre or Rondae Hollis Jefferson... but he's got better height and better all around package.

Finely consider that he has talked about comparing himself to Ariza. Why? Because Ariza fits the role, plays defense, and is a winner. Which is what Dekker did in college. We know defense will be the fastest way for him to get on the court early. Smart kid.

I think this is another Morey #18 pick that will turn out well.

8. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

this guy might even get some playing time and never go to the NBDL.....did parsons ever go to the DL? great pick and it sounds like he's a gym rat that just loves sports

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I remember that interview very well. D-Mo was asked who he planned to stop bigger NBA players like Dwight Howard. D-Mo respond by saying Howard would have to catch him first. I wouldn't call that calling him out.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yep. It is the law of clutchfans.

Positive about the team, the front office and their decisions. Homer. Sheep.

Generally negative about just about everything the team and its front office does. Realist.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

cheke64 has taught us well

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Parsons shot is a line drive. Of course, Dekker's shot looks better.

13. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

I lived in Sheboygan and helped out at the school he went to. Sadly, I moved when he was in 8th grade, but I know people who know him. He's the real deal. Humble, hard working coach's kid. I have no doubts he's going to be successful.

1 person likes this.
  14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The problem with Dekker's shot is actually the opposite, too much arc. Parson was a streaky, inconsistent 3-pt shooter in his rookie year but improved steadily so I expect the same from Dekker.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If he can physically improve -- I mean if it's physically possible -- this guy will improve. No underwear ads, no selfies of six packs. Dude is going to be in the gym working. (And hopefully taking time now and again to draw the NBA logo.)

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Can Sam Dekker play & defend as a "small ball 4?"

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably, but he'd be better at the 3. He's similar to a weird mix of Parsons and Ariza.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG]

Maury doing Rick Smith's job for him. Getting A-Rod to join the Texans.

19. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

He also appears more able and willing than pretty boy to post up smaller wings down low.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Why does Rodgers look like he's 50 in this pic?