1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

europe is more than just spain. in serbia/latvia/lithuiania for instance, bball is king

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Rudy Fernandez clearly was an NBA-caliber talent. He just seemed to have such an over-inflated ego, constantly demanding more touches. Whenever he didn't play, he pouted. And unlike Spanoulis, he actually GOT REGULAR PLAYING TIME! Rudy's much happier in Madrid, where he can be "the man" and score/shoot as much as he wants (compared to in the NBA).

With Sergio Rodriguez, it was a combination of not getting into the right system (he was traded twice in one year after his first 3 seasons in Portland) and some weak defense on his part. He probably could have stuck initially in the NBA had he been on the right team. He's clearly got NBA-caliber PG skills. Perhaps his defense has improved over the past few seasons overseas and he could come back as a much better NBA player.

Sergio Llull appears to be a much better defender than Rodriguez (probably one of the main reasons Llull starts over him). Assuming that Llull also isn't the caliber of whiny baby that Rudy F. is, then I wouldn't worry as much about the NBA "failures" of those other two guys when evaluating Llull.

1 person likes this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In your estimation BT, if Llull comes over then how is the backcourt going to shape up for '15-'16? For example, I think we're all expecting to see a vet min JET back. Will he/they be joined by a resigned Bev? Will Bev be thanked and sent away? Will an SnT effort be effected? Will DM the GM 'still' target Jones or Grant in the Draft (assuming they are targets now???)?

Thanks for your insights.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem with Sergio and Rudy wasn't their talent. It was the fact that they were always going to be bench players in their playing situations, and they wanted to have bigger starring roles in the NBA. For Rodriguez, I think the writing was on the wall that he'd probably be a journeyman backup... which isn't bad, but he needed the expanded role he got in Europe to really shine.

That seems to be the main concern from Llull IMO that has kept him overseas this long. Now that its clearly obvious that the Rockets are courting Llull and presenting a major playing opportunity, its up to Llull to look at himself and say "Am I good enough to keep that job". I think the Rockets opportunity isn't going to be something many Euro players get in their first year in the NBA.

The money will be right in line with what he scheduled to make regardless (with paying a hefty buyout) IF he gets year 2 guaranteed... assuming he's getting the full MLE or close to it.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not BT, but this is a good question that I'd like to give my own thoughts on.

The Rockets have two questions that have to be answered before every roster decision:

1) Will this help us win now?
    2) Will this prevent us from opening up max cap space in 2016 free agency?

Pat Beverley falls in between these questions, but I believe #1 takes slightly more precedence over #2. My guess is the Rocket's max offer to Beverley will be 3 years $18 million, and I don't think he will get a better offer on the market. Knowing the Rockets, I could see them getting him for a little bit less.....maybe $4-5 million per.

If he goes any higher than $6 per, I'd let him walk. You still have Nick Johnson, who just needs a jumper to replace almost all of what Bev gave us. At $7 or above, I'd be concerned how much it would cost us to trade him.

By all appearances, Terry will be back next season. He won't command more than the minimum, and we have a defined role for him.

Llull / Beverley / Johnson
    Harden / Terry

The other potential addition(s) would be from the draft or minimum deals to free agents. For the draft, I really like Devin Booker, but I don't know if we can get to him. The #18, #32, and TJones might get us up to the 12-13 spots, but some have mentioned him going in the top 10.

6. NotChandlerParsons

Let's keep in mind that Llull is a fair bit older than Rodriguez and Fernandez. He's won a title, surely put up with plenty of BS in his career. He'll be a bit better prepared mentally to deal with this silliness.

7. NotChandlerParsons

* Older than they were when they came over to the NBA I mean.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty fair assessment.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses! I didn't really pay much attention to either of those guys when they were in the NBA.

I think we are all in agreement that Llull will fit our system like a glove and (obviously) is enough of a competitor to perform on a larger stage. Also, the money should be pretty equal.

I'm not concerned about him sharing the ball with Harden (like Spanoulis was with TMac). The major question now is what his personality is like and whether he is willing to take a bench role if necessary.

I understand that Morey/Mchale will make it clear what the expectations are in terms of role and playing time, but there is still a chance that things change and go the way of Beverley/Lin.

If something like that occurs, I'd like to know that Llull will not run away to his established role in Spain.

Let's hope that some Spaniards join the BBS ;)

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know if this was already posted in this thread, but this is a really nice article on Llull and his fit with the Rockets

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nice breakdown by <a href="https://twitter.com/KellyScaletta">@KellyScaletta</a> on why Sergio Llull can be a &quot;perfect fit at great value&quot; for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> this summer:
    <a href="http://t.co/QjCtVuKCSt">http://t.co/QjCtVuKCSt</a></p>&mdash; Ben DuBose (@BenDuBose) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/608417013531295744">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One of the cool elements featured in that article is a video breakdown from 2010 by then-Rockets VP of Basketball Operations Sam Hinkie

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0I6954IBFEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Sergio Llull won 8 championships with Real Madrid, one ACB title and one Euroleague title. And has won 3 Copa del rey titles and one MVP. And has won 3 Spain supercup titles. Dude is the leader of Real Madrid team and they are the best team in Europe and the number 1 defensive team. He'll be ready for the NBA if he ever joins a team here. But I doubt it because he is the guy for Real Madrid I think he's staying there in Spain. But if he ever joins an NBA team he'll be a solid player. I know many don't like European players but Sergio Llull's experience is solid and the Spanish league and Euro league is solid. I mean look what Nikola Mirotic is doing for the Bulls who came from Real Madrid. If Sergio Llull joins the Rockets this offseason he will be a better player than Jeremy Lin and any point guard we have on our roster right now. He'll be a solid starter or back up for the Rockets.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Having lived in Spain I can say this is a more accurate portrayal than the previous poster.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Move over Spanoulis, Llull is the REAL T-Mac of Europe!

...then again, he actually wins when it matters of maybe the MJ of Europe?

14. Egemen

Egemen Member

I live in Turkey and I'm a big Efes fan(Madrid opponent in Top16) so I watched Euroleague a lot this year. From my understanding if Llull comes to the Rockets he will be very valuable bench piece for us. And time to time he can play with Harden but i don't think he is the starting PG that we looking for.

About V-Span, you are %100 correct. He has the talent to became very good 6th man off the bench but he came to the Rockets very wrong time.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree with your two questions. However, Llull's appearance, should he come over, affects several decisions.

One of which is Bev. Another is the Draft. Finally (?), the third is what 4 or 5 who might be sought would blend in better with Llull?

I'm not lusting for any specific player on the board after the Top Tier (tho if a reasonable trade brought Kaminski into TheToyShop I believe I'd be unreasonably pleased).

16. Mimex

Mimex Member

Sergio is a great fit for the Rockets 2015-16

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]It’s not a secret that Houston Rockets’ main target from Europe this summer is Real Madrid’s point guard Sergio Llull. The Rockets are making a real push in order to persuade him to try the NBA and the Spanish star is still undecided.

According to Eurohoops sources, Houston informed the side of the player that they are willing to give him a contract for the next three seasons which will pay him a total between 15 to 18 million US dollars. That was one of the hot subjects of discussion in the recent Eurocamp of Treviso, where Houston had send four representatives. It’s a safe bet that some of them will also travel to Spain, since Llull’s intentions are still a mystery, since you have to add to the mix the fact that he also has to pay a four millions US dollars buy out to Real Madrid in order to leave the team. Still the biggest question about his decision remains the fact that he will have to leave his country and a “safe” career in order to start almost from scratch in the NBA.

The only thing which can be considered sure at this point, is that if Llull remains in Spain, then a part of the money intended for him will end up being the salary of Marko Todorovic.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2015/06/featured/101845[/rQUOTEr]

1 person likes this.
  18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

3yrs 15-18 mill

nope

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whenever I see yours was the latest post in a thread I jump on it like a bum on a baloney sandwich, because I know it'll be something hot off the presses.
    It's the only way we can get him, what with that buyout.

Oh, wait....not a fan, hmn? I think he'll be just what the team needs.

1 person likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i need a more intelligent mouse that can auto-click on it's own when it sees J.R. as the last post in a thread :grin: