1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Listen... many here think like that but the way the modern Nba has progressed traditional roles have evolved. A traditional pg would actually hinder this team. You see people saying " we cant take the ball out of Hardens hands" and thats true. Harden needs a tall combo guard next to him who can defend shoot and create so both can play off the ball and with it.
    Harden will be the one who will initiate the offence many times still even with a good pg next to him.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need a point guard that is going to make PG's play D and is able to run the high PnR. The days of shutting someone down are over. I would prefer Pbev off the bench with Brewer and Dmo or Smith. Imagine Lawson running a layup or alley oop drill with D12 or Smith.

So whoever Morey signs, better make Curry play D or it's a waste.

3. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Sergio Llull is so overrated. I honestly hope he doesn't come over here he's trash. Lawson or draft a PG.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Have you not seen how stagnant the offense is when Harden is running it? He doesn't make an offensive move until there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock, we need a true floor general that can shoot and create for themselves and others.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seems like Llull is priority #1 based on Morey/McHale interviews. Hope he's a success and I hope they still add a shooter.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not sold on Sergio Llull at all. He might be a decent player, but he's not going to be the guy who is going to make a big impact.

How many (white) European guards in the NBA can create their own shot? Dragic... are there any others?

The Rockets need somebody who can not only create, but can also score points to ease Harden's burden. I don't think Llull is that guy. He's not a game-changer.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

I know Lull is good or whatever in spain but i just dont see him transitioning well to the NBA if the Rockets are indeed trying to get him here.

He will be a scrub in the NBA IMO

8. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I think Morey views Llull as the point guard version of Pau Gasol. Llulls basketball IQ is off the charts

9. Nook

Nook Member

The off the court issues are a concern, but not enough to make me not want Lawson.

The only real issue I have with Lawson is on the defensive end. He cannot guard shooting guards and struggles to guard point guards. Do you want a defensive back court of Harden and Lawson? Has a team ever won a title with a back court that is that poor defensively? If you trade for Lawson, you almost have to resign Beverley.

I also think that Sacramento may over pay for Lawson.

10. bmd

bmd Member

I think he can be an okay player... but I see him as an NBA back-up.

The Rockets need someone better with NBA experience.

I don't like the idea of Llull being expected to be a big contributor right from the start in his first year in the NBA.

11. bmd

bmd Member

I'd love for Sacramento to go after Lawson and Houston can get in on the trade somehow and pick up Darren Collison. I think he would be a great fit.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Dragic, Belinelli, Calderon (more so in the past), Rubio can create the shot but he won't make it,

13. malakas

malakas Member

Do u mean when he has no help with no other playmaker? Yes. And thats why he asked what the fans have been asking. For help. With only Harden the offence got predictable as one would expect.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I wouldn't call any of them shot creators except for Dragic.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

There is one guy I would consider trading for and might be available ... Greivis Vásquez. A 6'6'' PG/SG that can create for himself and others. He is not an European (white) guard, but fits the bill. :rolleyes:

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

I believe this is correct, simply because he's the best addition from a value standpoint. Guys like Lowry, Lawson, etc., while very good players, may cap us out of making any further moves to improve this roster. If Llull costs us no more than the majority of the MLE, then he's not only a cheap alternative, but also a potential asset.

Also keep in mind that Llull is 27, and euro players play significantly less games per season than NBA players. That means if he proves to be an NBA quality player, he should be able to perform into his late 30s.

It speaks volumes that the Rockets paid the most cash in NBA history for Llull's rights, have not traded him, and are now actively trying to sign him.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Just because you wouldn't call them one doesn't mean they can't create their own shot. It seems like you were challenging the athleticism and space creation of white european players and all of those guys are athletic, quick, and good enough ball handlers to create space. Plus many Spanish players have been successful in recent history. Llull might not be the answer but I wouldn't doubt him based on the failure of other white european guards. Most black american guards can't create their own shots but there happen to be a lot more to choose from.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Horrible defence too much swag. Too trigger happy. I would consider trading for him a mid second if thats what u mean.

19. bmd

bmd Member

None of those guys except for Dragic regularly beat people off the dribble and score points.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

The more I look at it, the more similarities I see between Dragic and Llull.

They're about the same height (Llull is actually an inch taller).

Athleticism is not that far apart. Go and watch some of Llull's videos. He is not some slow/no-bounce euro. Dude has speed and hops.

Both play a very attacking style. Llull is not one to just roam around the 3 point line. Dragic is the better finisher, but Llull has been good around the rim in euroleague.

Both excel in and push the fast break.

Both can shoot the 3 ball. Llull hit 38% last year and 35% for his career. Dragic 35% last year and 36% for his career. Obviously the NBA is a different animal, but shooting is one skill that seems to translate well (see Mirotic, Teletovic, Bogdanovic, Belinelli, etc.).

With Llull, we might be able to get 3/4ths of what Dragic would've given us at a quarter of the price.