1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I was on 610 yesterday because their the only station with local coverage on a Sunday and one of the guys was talking about how normally his higher ups would get on him about talking Astros and push Texans Texans Texans. So there is an agenda behind the shows guys, it's not just caller driven.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's ratings based.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't it scare anyone that the Rockets fandom has all the attributes of franchises which decided to move to another city?

It takes an incredible season to pack the toyota centre and even then it's not ROCKING unless amazing is happening. Issues with tv and radio as well. Merchandising - Harden is not even in the top 10-15.

Les has to be careful. It's a good thing this team looks set to win lots of games for a while otherwise I don't know how long this can be tolerated. What's sad is that it's a huge market but I guess competition with two nearby teams doesn't help.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think that's quite a reach.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You're exaggerating when talking about the arenas. It gets loud in the TC. Last time the Rockets were in the 2nd round it was pretty loud in there and a great atmosphere. The jersey issue is something the Rockets need to stop waiting on. They need to go back to the classic look and those jerseys would sell much better. I don't know why Les is letting his Chinese overlords control the Rockets uniforms.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

610 isn't caller driven at all. They don't even take calls.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've been to quite a few opposing arenas, and there are very few that totally knocked my socks off in terms of crowd noise. When there's a big matchup, Toyota Center can get pretty electric. And as far as the uniforms go, that's squarely on Les. The second he unveils a new jersey with more classic lines, jersey sales will skyrocket.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What? Houston is only 49.3% white, numbers that include Hispanic/Latino. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston

Even if 100% of those are Republicans, that's not a majority.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

That really doesn't mean much to him... he just flat-out hates the city of Houston and thinks we're all backwards inbreeders.

lol

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Great point Scarface, the fact that we were in the 2nd Round for that 08-09 season definitely got TC rockin HARDCORE. Another reason for the excitement was that it was the Lakers we were playing against, who had (at that time) just come out the West and were the heavy favorites to do so again. And the fact that we did win Game 1 in LA, real un-biased basketball fans knew that we matched up VERY well with that Lakers team.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

R.I.P Rockets talk for the next 9 months.

I listened in from 7.00 - 7.30 and it was all garbage talk, nothing Rockets related. All some egg related and about people I have never heard of

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I came to basically say the same thing lol. See no one complained from 5-4 until now, that is pretty much when the Rockets started the 2nd round. But yeah, I expected 1 day of Rocket conversation after their exit to GSW to discuss future offseason moves and that's it, on to the Texans and their future appearance on Hard Knocks.

I already made playlist of of music and a few non sports related podcasts that I can listen to for now. I won't be tuning into any of the sports radio stations at least until Free Agency get started.

What's telling is the amount of Rockets coverage and public interest during the WCF pretty much equals a Texans regular season game even when they are sub .500.

15. bmd

bmd Member

There isn't really anything to talk about real guy now with the Rockets. Just look at this board.

This board is where the hardcore fans post and the only threads that have been active for the past few days are a thread about who you wish to get as a PG and Doc Rocket's latest cryptic tweet.

That's about it.

If there is nothing for us to talk about here, there certainly isn't anything interesting for the guys on the radio to talk about.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

now that the players/coaches have more free time available, would be nice to have some interviews though

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There isn't really any thing to talk about the Texans and they some how manage to talk Texans 24x7x365 even during rockets playoffs. I understand the Texans are 10x more popular than the rockets, but it still sucks how little this city cares for the rockets.

18. bmd

bmd Member

During the playoffs it was Rockets talk all day...

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You mean players/coaches that are no longer working? They earned the time off and don't deserve having to get on the phone to do media. That's what the preseason is for.

Don't fret guys, the draft is 3 weeks away.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

doesn't have to be the heavy minutes guys like harden though, even nick johnson or papa would make for interesting airtime. and isn't heavy minute guy ariza doing some autograph signing session at academy anyways? i'm not sure they mind 15-20min on the phone to reflect on the season. terry for sure, is never too tired to talk :grin: