1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Yeah, Arsenal is a good fit. Ox and Walcott can't stay fit, and Sterling opposite Alexis might be a good fit with Ozil as a number 10 could be a deadly group. Arsene has also taken a liking to English players in general for the last couple of years so Arsenal is definitely a good guess. Sterling is a London lad also, so that could be a factor.

I'm thinking City because they are desperate for homegrown players and could potentially price him out of the market. I see them as the club that would pay way over his worth just to get him, and I think it's a likely scenario.

Bayern needs new wings to eventually take over for Ribery and Robben, and reportedly have been interested in Sterling. So I think they might be a viable option too. They are clearly the best of the teams mentioned at the moment, so I think it would be very tempting for him to make that move.

It's hard to say though, that's just my thoughts on the likeliest scenarios. Silly season have just started and lots can change.

Thanks re. my evaluation of Liverpool.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pep's brother (who is an agent) already met with Sterling and his agents, the club and especially Pep are said to think very highly of Raheem.

I love Sterling and think he'd blossom at a good team, so I'd have nothing against this transfer.

3. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Well Reeko and I been talking about watching a game for some time but never really do it lol...

Normally, I would watch games of this magnitude at a bar (Galway Hooker Pub ftw) but in this case I will be watching at a friends house in Katy.. Yes, Katy. No, people haven't evacuated yet lmao. You're more than welcome to come.. there should be plenty of people there, mainly Cules but deep inside I know you're a Barca fan as well :)

1 person likes this.
  4. The Stig

The Stig Member

United is 10-1 on Sky Bet to land Sterling. It's been 50 years since we had a player transfer directly from Man United to Liverpool and vice versa. Raheem sticks it to Liverpool and signs for Man United. Oh how funny would that be.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can go in and out of Summerfest Saturday so my plan was to watch the game on Washington. Email me if you any of you guys wanna hang! I'll probably go back to that Hooker place lol.

Reekohtown at gmail

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, with Milner almost assuredly leaving City is starved for English talent.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Sent you email, breh!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice young lad, this Raheem.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sterling is a good young player, but I honestly don't think he warrants all this discussion. I wouldn't mind him leaving LFC, but my worry is that the management under John Henry has been utterly schitte in evaluating talent and bringing in players. Hence they'll mismanage any funds they'll get from Sterling. But Sterling is leaving on a free transfer ya? well then we're screwed even further.

The thought that we'll be going to war with Hendo captaining the team, and putting out a line up consisting of young, promising talent like Ibe and Marcovic scares the hell out of me.

I wish I can jump ship and support another team, but I just don't enjoy watching other teams play outside of LFC, unless it's a CL finals.

V_V

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Today, BILD again said Pep wants Sterling to be Ribery's successor and the club will try to sign him this summer. I also think he'd be good in any system, as he's extremely skilled and has also shown flashes of great vision and passing. A few years under a good coach will do wonders.

@Jontro: It won't be a free transfer as he's still under contract and wants to leave this summer. Let's assume around 40mil.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

With the Depay signing I'm wondering how United will line up next season. Keep in mind Di Maria has largely been used as a sub the last 10-15 games and he would probably want to start or will try to leave the club.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think they'll sell di Maria to PSG or Bayern.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hey ATW is it true Bayern bosses asked Pep to consider extending his contract till 2018?

I heard Pep didnt give them an answer...

14. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I agree with everything you said,except I think Ibe is a better talent then Sterling IMO.

I dont know what Liverpool is going to do, we look to be going back into the mediocre treadmill if we dont get a Match Winner talent. ):

I see Sterling leaving probably for Arsenal or Man City. If its a PL team we sell to it better be a high price like 40-50 range, out of the PL like Bayern, I would do a 30-35 deal.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Van Gaal the old Munich coach

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid it's true.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Apparently Pep wants to pick his own medical team and it to be installed his way. Also wants to decide the upcoming transfers himself and gave Bayern a list of players he wants them to sign.

Don't like that Rummenigge etc let Pep change the culture of the club, we were always bigger than the individual. Could really hurt us in a few years, especially when Pep leaves.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

News: Mats Hummels said no to ManU's contract offer and wants to stay at Dortmund til his contract ends (2017).

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think it was ATW some months ago that said Hummels wasn't going anywhere. Still befuddles me that more Prem teams aren't going after Subotic. He'd be the easier one to pry away, especially now Klopp is gone. Neither he nor Hummels have played great over the past year anyway but both would still be upgrades at a few mid to upper table premiership teams.

Funny you mentioned Ibe, I was talking to a Liverpool supporter today who also said the same thing(higher on Ibe than on Sterling).

It does look bad for Liverpool- as Sir Geving mentioned- they can't go after the superstars and they can only hope to unearth another Suarez type who then turns into a superstar at Anfield.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I predict that a lot of Premier League teams are going to go after aging or mediocre players from other countries at totally inflated prices, because of that ridiculous TV contract. It's going to lead to a real bubble in terms of transfer fees and salaries.