1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swearinger Gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, May 11, 2015.

1. conquistador#11

bucs pick him up. i can see it already.. mallet is having a great start, 2-0 throwing for 550 yards 4 tds 1 int, michael irvin talkin' about how mallet is finally our franchise qb.
    then, swearinger is sent on a qb blitz, lands on mallet after he has released the ball boom out for 8 weeks. =(

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bucs had first claim on the waiver order, right?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, they want to make sure that their rookie QB has some solid vets in the locker room to learn from. Had to do something after their top overall pick had this said about him

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I think it's a consensus among FSU fans and boosters that he was an embarrassment to the University&quot; - Bobby Bowden on Jameis Winston</p>&mdash; Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) <a href="https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/598220610540609537">May 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Remii

Remii Member

Wow...!!! 11 pages... Lol.

Anyways, he should have had "Cut Me" on his jersey instead of "Swearinger" since that Oakland game.

I'm assuming Tampa was ahead of Denver since DJ was more than likely someone Wade wanted. He may do a little better in Lovie's system though.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cocaine Mike will never praise mallet as having any slave blood in him. He is not nearly fast enough.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Swearinger around Winston. Great chemistry

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wait, hasn't Swearinger played special teams with the Texans in the past? Why would he now refuse to play special teams?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I dont think anyone actually disagrees with the move, we just ended up arguing about other stuff.

#TexansForum

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Wade wanted him then the Broncos would have offered a 6th or 7th round pick for him. They knew they wouldn't get him off of waivers.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah he has played ST in his 2 years, but he never showed up on the field. After game 7 of last year he didn't have another snap at ST for the remainder of the season.

He was a **** box safety, and completely invisible on ST.

11. conquistador#11

i think it goes in the same order as the draft, not sure. But Steelers, Ravens, Bills and Jets all put in a claim.:eek: Not surprising though since he does have a knack to find his way to the ball.

But if he's not a great teammate than what is the purpose? I hated dunta for his antics against peyton manning, celebrating meanwhile manning just goes after him.
    Who can forget swearinger eating imaginary ice cream as the play was still on going.
    That is stuff that goes away with maturing but it's quite obvious B.O.B had seen enough of it.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If 8 teams put in a claim it's weird we couldnt trade him

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I highly doubt that was the reason he got released. Maybe just a "story" by someone from the Texans side.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, the whole thing makes little sense.

I would think the Bucs, or 7 other teams, would have been willing to part with a 7th rounder.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

8 waiver bids and no trade offer. Something doesn't add up.

Mr. Smith, please report to my office.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Or why they didn't wait longer, even after DJ spilled the beans. Bringing him to OTAs while still trying to trade him wouldn't have cost us anything.

It seems the only reasons for letting him go when they did are 1) if they couldn't get anything from anybody in a trade. But with so many teams putting in a waiver claim, that doesn't seem likely. Or 2) for whatever reason they wanted him gone ASAP. Away from team facilities and away from from his teammates.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think it's weird we couldn't trade him. Nobody trades for guys like Swearinger. What's weird is that we cut him. He's young. Immature. But obviously has upside and a place in the league if 8 teams showed interest.

O'Brien chooses to give up on him instead of take-on the project. Meanwhile several other perennially competitive teams are. Sweet.

Again I don't care that much about losing Swearinger. I care more about this staff giving up instead coaching.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The situation in the locker room had to have gotten really bad for them to have just let him go. That said, box safeties that are inconsistent tacklers with over the top personas and recent bad decision making off the field probably isn't something that teams would be likely to trade anything for. Sure some teams would be willing to attempt a rehab project if he's free, but that's not the same thing.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Matt Schaub is on an NFL roster....

Just because 8 teams put in a claim doesn't mean he'll be on a roster in September. I'm sure there are teams who see a young kid they can "change" - and maybe they can. But it seems pretty obvious he was cut for reasons beyond talent, and if/when those reasons rear their ugly head in Tampa...

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess they rather play lotto . . .and get him for free
    rather than pay for him . .. .

Question: If they trade for him . . .. do they pick up his contract? Do they have they pick him up off waivers?

What is the benefit [beyond losing a pick] of picking him up off waivers versus trading?

Rocket River