1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jason Quick] Trail Blazers' list of concerns after Game 1 should include the future of LaMarcus Ald

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Lilliard does not look like a designated max player to me from the Memphis beatdown. Without a healthy Aldridge and Mathew, Lilliard looked really bad out there.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I think lillard's max is higher because he made the all star game and he was a first round pick. I'm not sure if he got on a all NBA team or won any awards or anything but that will increase it also.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You have to remember that even Lillard was playing hurt, he's only 24 and his max will be a bargain in the new cap

#183 shastarocket, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I hope Aldridge goes to an Eastern Conference team. They need more All-Stars over there.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Damian Lillard is the most overrated player in the NBA.

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: Spurs are “near or at the top” of LaMarcus Aldridge’s list unless Cavs lose Kevin Love <a href="http://t.co/WIox4CnY6B">http://t.co/WIox4CnY6B</a> <a href="http://t.co/sfwbGt5s0k">pic.twitter.com/sfwbGt5s0k</a></p>&mdash; Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/594246159951990784">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LaMarcus Aldridge Says Blazers Have 'More Weight' in Free Agency <a href="http://t.co/rPOPNCkCaZ">http://t.co/rPOPNCkCaZ</a> <a href="http://t.co/Z4lUKRlUwG">pic.twitter.com/Z4lUKRlUwG</a></p>&mdash; SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) <a href="https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/594185786750185472">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Imagine the Wizards with him in Nenes slot.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Does Cleveland have a chance with him? LeBron needs his Chris Bosh clone after Love is inevitably going to leave. :grin:
    Don't know how flexible they can be with player contracts.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Don't they take enough midrange jumpers? lolol

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not to mention its not like Portland is not going to pay him. If they lose LMA and Lillard, they might as well just sell the rest of their team and tank. Batum and Wes aren't star players; they can't carry the team by themselves.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How do you rate LMA's defense?

Rocket River
    . . . the word soft keeps coming to mind . . .

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Glad someone else gets it.

Whenever contracts come up, folks have to stop thinking like fans and start thinking like owners/FO's

It is ridiculous what the word "max" is interpreted as by different people.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Affalo couldn't even come close to cutting Matthew's role and just that alone unraveled the entire Blazers team. In that regard alone let's check Batum's numbers for the series but I have a hint that Batum is a bit overrated.

I think Aldridge would cost the Rox too much to make up. J Smith, Brewer, and other key players would have to agone.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Haha I remember saying this during the series and earlier this year but people thought I was just being bitter.

He relies WAY too much on contested jumpers (3s at that) he can take it inside occasionally but it's never enough to scare you and then there's his defense. So come down to it he's just a really good three point shooter.

When you think of it that way it makes sense that as his team faced injuries his numbers declined. He no longer had Wes to spread to floor with him and saw less open shots. Instead of like a true superstar player getting better when guys get hurt and seeing numbers increase because of more opportunities his decreased.

So yeah, Portland will throw it all at LMA because Damian is no perennial all-star type player.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

^^^^ It's a chain affect. Lillard couldn't count on overrated Batum to spread the floor as well. And there were some that would package both Ariza + Brewer for Batum. I kid you not and have read it in other trade ideas on this board.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In his defense (I guess), Batum is worth Ariza + Brewer when he plays hard. He is a classic "Why can't you be like that all the time" guy. But he has serious motor issues. Kinda reminds me of Diaw.

Lillard has the same problem except he disappears for 2-3 quarters at a time instead of 5-6 or more games like Batum.

LMA & Wesley were the two that brought effort to every Blazers game.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it's quite telling that he is considering leaving. If he just stays with this team and waits for Lillard, McCollum and Freeland to mature while Batum and Matthews provide great support, then his team is going to fight for homecourt for a long time. They have all their picks, and they're not spending an obscene amount of money so MLE additions are likely. That team will improve for at least two more years by just staying together and finding better role players.

He seems to want to go home. But will the Spurs be better than the Blazers if Duncan and Manu retire?

I think the real threat here is that Manu and Duncan come back for the minimum and they get Aldridge. That would be a crazy good team, and make sense for LMA.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't know about that. Brewer makes some fancy fast break layups that seem impossible while splitting up to 3 defenders sometimes.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Celtics: LaMarcus Aldridge and Wes Matthews both possible targets?

CSNNE.com's A. Sherrod Blakely believes the Boston Celtics could target a pair of Portland Trail Blazer free agents this summer, including star power forward LaMarcus Aldridge.

During an episode of Celtics Talk TV (below), Blakely said, "My understanding is the Celtics are going to be open to putting together some type of package deal where they would not only bring in LaMarcus Aldridge, they'd bring in one of his good friends by the name of Wes Matthews. Now, if you're the Celtics and you can put together a deal to get those two guys in town, you've gotta do it."

Blakely was asked to place a percentage on the likelihood top free agents land in Boston. Asked about Aldridge, the reporter said, "I'm going to go high with this one. I think there's a 35-40 percent chance that he's going to come here."

"Here's the thing about LaMarcus Aldridge," Blakely continued. "He's going to look for a situation that is going to give him the best shot of going deep in the playoffs."

Are the Celtics that? The Spurs and Mavericks are more established, of course, better stocked with talent, and located in Aldridge's home state. If the power forward chooses Boston, he would be betting on a young, improving roster, a talented coach, and a president of basketball operations who has built a winner before. Those aren't the worst things to bet on, but while all three potential suitors lost in the first round this season, Boston obviously lags behind the other two in recent success. Given the competition -- which also presumably includes Portland -- most people would not give the Celtics a 35-40 percent chance of acquiring Aldridge. He might not even be their top power forward target.

As a rugged wing with size who doubles as an elite shooter, Matthews would fit in well with what the Celtics need. His free agency could be interesting because of his recovery from a season-ending torn Achilles.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nobody is going to the Celtics.