1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacrifice Game 5 to end Mchales coaching Career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 10, 2015.

1. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Very good points here, Just 2 nights ago GS was down 18 in the 4th but cut it to 4, that would never happen with us because we lack both the in game adjustments to make that happen and the mental makeup to be confident enough to make a comeback
    Lets see what Les and Morey do because as bad above as the Mchale Hire is i still think Morey is a great GM,its ok to make a mistake as long as u own up to it as soon as you figure out how big of a mistake it was

2. malakas

malakas Member

Kerr was a rookie coach with no experience. Would you be happy if the Rockets hire a first time coach with no experience and no track record?

Also Kerr's (and Kidd's ) job is done in a huge degree by their assistants.
    Kerr was lucky that Bogut so far hasn't been injured as his does every offseason, and that Green had his breakout season. I don't want to take away anything from the work he has done,but he isnt' a Messiah either.
    And even after this they still lost twice to the Grizz and are down 2-1.
    What if they lose? Maybe then the narrative will change to : a good regular season team that fails in the playoffs even with the MVP and the almost MIP/DPOY in their roster? A jumpshooting team that fails when things get tough and on the big stage?

Jackson was a more awful coach than MacHale is and he also was insane in refusing to accept assistants and he clashed with management. The analogy isn't there with the Rockets because MacHale actually follows instrucitions from the management.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed there. It was too soon in my opinion to start hacking. And why bring in Capella to do it. What is Dorsey for. It seems to me that it took the air more out of the Rockets than the Clippers. The Clippers were expecting it anyway, but it was like the Rockets admitted their desperation and that they didn't think themselves that they could win even from the first quarter.

4. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

I'm with the OP. If the ultimate goal is to try to win a title, then we can't keep McHale as coach.

I think what we need is for the Clippers to come out on our home floor and start strong, on something like a 10-0 start, with 3 TO's by Harden.

McHale will call time out, we will 'draw up' a play where Terry or Ariza will shoot some contested wing 3 pointer, or where Harden will turn it over passing out of a trap on a PnR, and Clippers race the other way for a lay-up with no transition defense for the Rockets. 1Q ends 32-18 or something like that.

Then we get absolutely stomped out in the 2Q, going into half time down 30.

Crowd will boo as the players walk back into the locker room.

Rockets make no half time adjustments, or try to make adjustments but it doesn't work, and they end up losing the game by 45 as the Clippers bench plays the 2nd half and the Clippers starters sit on the bench, cheering for their teammates and laughing.

But i'm not even sure that this scenario would get McHale fired, because of the 3 year contract extension, and Les not wanting to pay that out while paying for another head coach.

So what we also need to see is Harden and Howard getting into a screaming match after yet another turnover, not getting back on defense as Blake throws down another fast break dunk. Time out called, Harden and Howard arguing and dismissing each other. And as it goes to commercials, and the cameras get to a shot of McHale, standing up as the players slowly walk towards the bench, with that same stupid helpless look on his face.

Rockets fans need to boo at every time out McHale calls.

Then in the post game interviews, Harden and Howard both need to rip McHale for the 'strategy', the 'coaching'.

1 person likes this.
  5. hoopball

hoopball Member

haha, i luv this

6. SemisolidSnake

I wanted to believe McHale had gotten better, but he lives in a different era. He played on the legendary Celtics of the 80s, where there's no doubt everybody came to play every game without question. He even said in one of his press conferences that "if you need to be told to show up and play, you're in the wrong profession" or something close to that.

That's just not true. Sorry, Kevin. Not with this team. Not with the Astros or the Texans, either, in the past decade and a half. Coaching matters. Young teams need it. Teams need structure and discipline, and only the coach can provide that. Even if everybody goes and plays balls to the wall, if just an amorphous system, they're pouring their effort into, it's not going to be fruitful, and they're going to relapse quickly. The players need a good coach probably even more than the coach needs good players.

Too many Houston teams have languished with this "they're pros so they know what to do mentality" from impotent coaches. The Texans finally look like the might go somewhere, because you know their current won't cotton to that bull****. The Astros under Larry Dierker achieve way more than their talent level and firing him set them down a path of crap they seem to just be emerging from. The Rockets have a talented GM, but they don't have the coaching to take the players and use them to the best of their abilities.

Stick with McHale through the rest of his contract and say goodbye to Dwight Howard in a couple years. And Harden. And say hello to rebuilding mode; we're not making a case for more stars to come here.

7. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

This is hilarious and sadly probably what will happen

8. J Hard

J Hard Member

Thats exactly why Houston never wins anything. Inept management and ownership.

Bob McNair finally got his stupid act together. Seems after all these years Les has regressed incredibly so, or just care about counting all the additional Chinese dollars now. Winning, but not seriously winning may be fine with Les now.

Don't know what the case but if he doesn't have the guile to make a change this offseason, it will speak volumes.

9. roidrage

roidrage Member

So Morey is equally to blame....getting Terry and peperoni to run point

10. hoopball

hoopball Member

11. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Honestly, if it takes a 50 point loss for McHale to get fired then I'm cheering for a 50 point loss. It took the Texans to go 2-14 to get Kubiak fired and their in a much better position because of it. This team needs a competent HC.

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Even if McHale didn't get an extension, he'd still probably be back. I don't see Les letting him go after a 2 seed and 2nd round berth.

13. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Mchale is getting at least one more year so dont get your hopes up. Based on how his contract extension was set up it makes it much more favorable for the rockets to get out of his contract after next year vs this year. So buckle up for one more year.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

At this point, I can argue that Les and Morey are so overrated. We all know Les's team won the titles right after he purchased the team. Morey wants to be GM and coach together, so he got a coach for his listener, does not think a good coach is a must for winning a NBA title. Not mention that he was trying to get Bosh every time, but LAC does not need a third star, a young Rivers can outplay your star in the games, What a shame!

15. #1ROXFAN

#1ROXFAN Member

MOREY NEEDS TO GO!!!

16. #1ROXFAN

#1ROXFAN Member

AND MCFAIL obviously

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'll never stand for blowing games on purpose. I want McHale fired too, but not that way

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Even though I don't think McHale is the answer for us if we truly desire to win a championship, I would never, never, never be able to pull for the Rockets to lose.

19. rocketman72

rocketman72 Member

I must admit everyone in this topic is correct. Count me in for the "FIRE MCHALE" bandwagon.

20. 1Deep

1Deep Member

The only way we're getting rid of Mchale is by sending Morey packing as well.

Morey is only interested in coaches that will rubber stamp his Free Throws & 3's analytic driven basketball philosophy.

This line of thinking is the primary reason we ended up with Mchale in the first place.

Morey's not hiring a real coach that would give any push back to shooting a bunch of 3's and hoping the refs have our back to win.