1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Main reason for our spectacular playoff losses?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrm, May 9, 2015.

?

What's the main reason for our spectacular playoff losses?

Poll closed May 23, 2015.
  1. Talent level is not enough

15.7%
  2. Coaching is nonexistent

25.0%
  3. Coaching is reactionary not proactive

9.8%
  4. Unfair reffing of the Rockets - physicality on Dwight/arm swipes on Harden drives

1.0%
  5. Injury to key players - DMo & PatBev

12.7%
  6. Passive attitude of players of individual player

28.4%
  7. Lack of execution - players don't do what coaches tell them

7.4%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Beverley and DMo were important defenders for us

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Terrible turnovers + missing open shots if fueling their fast break which we are doing a horrendous job defending.

3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

As I said before, defense is the symptom, what's the cause? The other two points of course make sense

------

Seems like the general consensus is that we're struggling in a few different categories but interestingly enough, no one is blaming refs.

It's the coaching, passive players, and talent level/injuries.

------

I still don't fully agree with lack of talent as a cause, except that DMo/Bev are important defenders for us as Mr. Clutch posted, but I do think coaching is one part of the issue. *clap* *clap* play harder!

#43 srrm, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I think Dmo and Bev would have helped a lot this series. Just don't have the horses to chase Reddick for days and Dmo could at least go at Blake in the post on the other end. Man Dmo's hook game is so valuable for the playoffs.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They were also two of our better 3pt shooters. Outside of Harden, we can't hit the side of a barn.

And DMo is a guy who can create shots outside of Harden, Dwight and Josh.

1 person likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Of course. The Rockets shouldn't be giving up 115+ multiple times a series, though. That is an obvious sign that either the team is letting up, or the coaches aren't gameplanning, or probably both. I don't think Bev and DMo are the differenCE between our elite defense from earlier and this abomination that is currently happening.

7. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Matchups do come into it, but I fully expect Dwight/TJ/Josh to be able to guard DeAndre & Blake. Chris Paul is our matchup problem, but Harden should also be a matchup problem for them! I think matchups even out and it's a combination of the other issues that come into play here

The difference has been their shooters actually making shots while ours are not, and our defense has also vanished. I feel that both of these things can suddenly change even with our current talent level, to at least keep games competitive with the Clippers. Not sure how that will happen, either by coaching, or some random light bulb goes off in their collective heads.

Definitely - I think they have the ability to step up but are not doing so either due to intimidation or just poor coaching. Perhaps McHale is not even the leader we think him to be, let alone strategist.

Agreed on that part, but I feel that is more a coaching issue, whereas as I understand you think it is both coaching and talent

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's always a combination, but I picked execution as the number 1 problem. I honestly think the Rockets are as talented as the Clippers. To me, that means when the defense of the Clippers does everything right, the Rockets can still score on offense if everything is done right. The reverse is also true.

The problem is just consistency. Just from random observation, it looks like the Rockets are running good offensive sets only half the time and playing good defense only half the time. The Clippers are more consistent, and they just came off of a 7 game series vs a team that takes advantage of almost every execution mistake you make.

The Rockets can play great ball and do so for quarters here and there, but that haven't put together a complete great game in a long time. It's depressing. Give credit to the Clippers for being more focused and putting forth that more consistent mental toughness.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keep the team together for more than 2 years

Results will show. Can't guarantee a Finals appearance or championship because the foundation is shaky (Coaching and System) but at least there will be better chemistry.

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Yup, I pretty much echo those points. The fact that they play great in spurts is proof that it can be done, but that something in the attitude has to change for better execution. Whether it's coaching or something else that has to charge them up, I'm not sure

11. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I'm not sure about this; the team seems just about as professional as I could expect, and they read each other quite well. The injuries leading to constant lineup changes has strangely kept the team close and together which I felt was a big part in pushing the adrenaline for regular season wins. It helped them believe they were underdogs and they kind of played like that through the season. In these playoffs, they don't have the underdog status anymore because they won the 2nd seed. Even DMo and Bev going down hasn't made people think of them as underdogs.

All this together makes me think that we won't have a whole lot of improvement from this season to next even if we kept this team together. McHale works well as the coach of an underdog team I guess

12. kchin

kchin Member

I think Josh Smith's lethargic attitude has infected the rest of the team. There is no effort, no hustle for loose balls, no hustle for rebounds, and sloppy passing. Kevin McHale's lack of [x's and o's] is a close second.

13. OpportunityCost

Also, there's play with more "energy", "play faster", and don't let the ball get "sticky".

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The defense has no chemistry because they haven't played with each other. Ariza and Jones have about 200 minutes played, is it any surprise their pick and roll defense against Paul and Griffin, with a combined what? 4000 minutes? is an issue.

Defense is effort, communication and understanding, these guys don't understand each other.

1 person likes this.
  15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Ariza's total minutes: 2930
    Jones's total minutes: 889

Time spent on the court together: 586 minutes

Instead if we look at the big men: Jones and Dwight have spent less than 150 minutes playing with each
    this season
    Time spent on court with Dwight (happened to have Ariza & James on the floor as well):
    85 minutes w/ Terry
    29 minutes w/ Canaan!

That is a better explanation of the lack of chemistry on defense. That's why Donatas would have been a crucial piece these playoffs, he at least played decent minutes with all of Dwight, Jones, Smith this season for decent interior defense.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the rockets are far too undisciplined for playoff basketball. They lack the discipline which is why they often look like scrubs and turn the ball over like they do. Thats issue #1. With discipline and proper system, Brooks/Landry/Scola took the powerhouse laker would be champs to 7 games after Yao went out.

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

That's definitely one of the problems, though I wouldn't say inconsistent, I think it's reactionary and not proactive - He hasn't made adjustments since putting Ariza on Blake. I'm not sure that this is the main problem though. I think his comments and game plan are possibly going unheard, though I don't have evidence for it except for hearing players say they "just didn't execute"

18. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

They do lack the discipline, and we're all aware of it, but what does that stem from? A combination of the coach not being convincing and the players not wanting to listen? or is one side entirely to blame? Seems like it's an issue on multiple sides. But not the main problem still! I think they're at least on the same chapter of the book, if not page, with respect to focus and aim. Dwight and Ariza prove that. I think the lack of playing time and familiarity together is a huge issue.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bummed out right now because this year it will be a good chance to go the Finals and probably win.

Heat are done. Cavs have no Love. Warriors are struggling.

The main competition are Clippers, Memphis possibly, and whoever comes out of the East. (huge question mark).

Chances have never been better.

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Certainly! I am desperate for them to take advantage of this year. I'm not bummed about it because we've only lost 3 out of 8 games so far, and only 2 in this round. I think we can still win

Btw in my reply to Aleron above, I somewhat debunked my own first reply to you