1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There goes the Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, May 3, 2015.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ding Dong the witch is dead!

I hatez the Spurs (and I started the Here Come the Spurs thread). Was just pointing out their uncanny ability to peak after the all-star break. No tears at all shed to see them go!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ha ... You could replace "Ginobili" with "Chris Paul", "Bruce Bowen" with "Matt Barnes", and that paragraph would apply just as well to the team that just beat them. Are you seriously suggesting that the Spurs whine/complain more than the Clippers this year?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread is not about the Clippers. Start your own thread.:p

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My apologies. I forgot which thread I was in. :)

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i respect their success and timmy, but i hate SA, their fans, and their team. they are most definitely bandwagoners. going to school in austin has accentuated this fact for me. it was so great to see them get knocked off by the clippers (whom i also hate). i wish them nothing but continued failure and an early retirement for pop. once pop and timmy are gone, i would love to see how many fans they have. i'm almost gettin tired of hearing how kawhi is a top 10 and even top 5 player. smh.

1 person likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks to this thread, my ammunition for Spurs Hate arguments has increased.

SA has bandwagoners everywhere and they all say the same s***.... "how could you hate the Spurs?"

They never had a good comeback for how lucky they were to draft Timmy, but this thread has added bullets to my argument.
    I'm sure the bandwagoners will have crap rebuttals for my new material.. which will add to my enjoyment at every bar (or wherever) I attend.

This is a thread that keeps on giving

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I respect what they've done. I think any respectable fan should respect their championships and success...but I NEVER root for them.

I didn't against the Heat because I knew what it would mean from SA fans "Duncan is better! He has 5 rings!" the same reason I didn't root for Mavs against the Heat. Dirk got one ring and Mavs fans will tell you he's better than Hakeem now.

I kept asking people in those finals threads...why are you guys rooting for in-state rivals? They sure don't root for us. When we beat the Mavs I could not find one person saying "Yeah! I hope the Rockets go to the finals! Texas represent!" sure there were some people that would say "I think they can go all the way. That's a really good team." but most was "Whoever they play will sweep them any ways."

You rocket fans are a odd bunch :p

8. dischead

dischead Member

They never win two in a row. Watch them pick up some no name players and turn them into stars and contend again next year. Hate them.

9. austinite

austinite Contributing Member

What the hell does this even mean? Without that Jordan guy the Bulls franchise is crap. They have 5 freaking championships with that Duncan guy.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It's like how people living in those areas bash Houston the city, while we just continue to do our thing down here not caring. Just how it is.

11. VBG

VBG Member

Ginobili is one of the most creative and unconventional players of all time. Also so insanely competitive. He's the one I'm going to miss the most.

Also, the Spurs lost a close 7 game series and were generally thought to be a top 3-4 team this year. I don't think they're dead unless Duncan retires. Duncan had 27-11 in Game 7 though so I'm not sure he's retiring.

I think they're back next year.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I could see Manu retiring. He looks done. But Duncan still has enough left in the tank to keep playing if he wants. I don't think the Spurs are contenders next season though unless they make a few changes. Remember, next season, they'll have to deal with the Warriors(barring them allowing Green to walk), Rockets, Thunder(assuming they're healthy), Grizzlies(assuming Gasol resigns), and Clippers(assuming DeAndre resigns). And that's to say nothing of the Pelicans who will continue to improve.

BTW, it's easy to hate the Spurs. I've hated them for over 20 years. They had soft players like Robinson and Elliott. They tanked to get Duncan. They had that dirty punk, Bruce Bowen, on their roster during their run of 3 titles in 5 years a decade ago. Manu has been a notorious flopper throughout his career. Tony Parker cheated on Eva Longoria which I'm fine with since I hate her. But the other woman was Brent Barry's wife at the time. And Pop's smartass schtick is getting tired.

13. Screwedup91

Screwedup91 Member

So much hate. Everyone thinks Rockets fans are idiots because of you people..

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

By your logic 90 percent of hardcore fans are idiots because they dislike their rival teams..... carry on....

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Im someone who lived in SA during the rockets championships and can tell you the Spurs organization is one of the best in the league and I have all the respect in the world for them, but the fans are the utter worst human beings to ever live and most don't no squat about basketball. I relish everytime the Spurs lose because of the fans LOL. I remember after the rockets beat them in the Western Conference Finals, the news channels were talking about how to deal with Spurs depression LOL. Loved it.:grin:

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">8 players in Playoffs history with 2,500 Pts, 750 Rebs, 700 Asts, 250 Stls: Magic, Pippen, Jordan, Bird, Drexler, Kobe, LeBron, GINOBILI.</p>&mdash; Doctor NBA (@DoctorNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoctorNBA/status/594686409136545792">May 3, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If they can't sign a big name I think they'll throw one year contracts at current rates to Duncan & Ginobili.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm thinking this has been posted somewhere already, but just in case...

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/04/san-a...ty-their-faces-off-after-playoff-elimination/

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_9hcykm7m" width="664" height="421" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozAllowFullScreen frameborder="0" style="width: 700; height: 394px;"></iframe>

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

I've been to San Antonio. Very nice people and attractions. Never had any hate towards that franchise and have nothing but respect for them. I don't see them not contending as long as Duncan is around if he keeps this up.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

In theory, the Spurs were closer than they let on

“If you wanted to be hypothetical,” Gregg Popovich began last week, and he should have stopped there.

He never wants to be hypothetical.

He continued: “… you can extrapolate a bit and think about, if we had won that game, how much longer could we have gone, with the tank being a little bit empty.”

That was Popovich, with little regret and no anger, talking about his sense of the Spurs after they lost Game 7 to the Clippers. In his final presser of the season he said, in effect, it just wasn’t our year.

But that also was Popovich before the Clippers-Rockets series began. Since then, the Clippers have won with a tank that didn’t initially include Chris Paul, and the rest of the league has looked about as daunting as David Blatt with time to think.

Given that, regret and anger are likely taking turns in the Spurs’ offices now. After all, they could have advanced with a win at home in Game 6, and they were still within one play of beating the Clippers in Game 7.

And had they won?

As the Rockets get skewered and Blatt gets worse, the Spurs sit at home remarkably untouched. This is usually not the way it is for defending champs who go out in the first round.

“When you play a team like the Spurs in the first round and come out like that,” Blake Griffin told reporters in Los Angeles after the Clippers took a 3-1 series lead on the Rockets, “it kind of gives you that feeling of accomplishment.”

Griffin believes beating the Spurs gave the Clippers something they never had before. They had gone back and forth, both losing home games and winning road games, and afterward the Clippers went to Houston as a different team.

So they won without Paul, and after that, their belief only grew. The Clippers became the first team since the 2001 Lakers to win consecutive playoff games in a series by at least 25 points.

For those who remember a time when the Spurs were getting skewered: They were the victims then.

The Rockets can always recover; they have the talent. But their current collapse surprises no one. Just as Dwight Howard was tossed in his final game as a Laker in Staples Center, against the Spurs, he was tossed in his most recent one in Staples Center.

The hypothetical path doesn’t stop there. Memphis looked sturdy heading into Monday night, but the Spurs are 16-4 against the Grizzlies since the 2011 playoffs.

Maybe Memphis is better this season. But the Spurs know the Grizzlies, and how to play them, and the difference between these two teams might be as thin as a memorable December game.

Then, Marc Gasol’s banking 3-pointer at the buzzer would eventually result in a triple-overtime win for Memphis.

The Warriors always loomed as something else. No matter what the Spurs did this postseason, it seemed a 67-win team would be waiting for them with home-court advantage.

But the Warriors showed cracks heading into Monday, and then there is this:

The Spurs not only beat the Warriors in Oakland, one of only two teams to do so in the regular season, they also extended their regular-season streak over the Warriors in San Antonio to 32.

If Popovich ever thinks about any of this, he would never say so publicly. So last week, instead of talking about what the Spurs could have done, he talked about what they didn’t do.

Asked about injuries, for example, he said he hesitated to answer, because it “sounds like an excuse.” But yes, players such as Tiago Splitter and Tony Parker never were right.

“I don’t think we were as sharp, mentally and certainly physically, as we have been in the past,” Popovich continued, and the past is a reason. Three runs to the conference finals, two of which went to the Finals, took away an edge.

And while that analysis makes sense, injuries are spread through every series, and mental and physical sharpness can change, as the Clippers say happened to them.

So what if just one play had gone differently in Game 7?

It might have been the Spurs’ year again, if you want to be hypothetical.