1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasons for irrational panic after Rockets losses

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseBlade, May 7, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Sometimes I think I'm r****ded pay no mind to this post.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I was sickened and disgusted with the team after the game 1 loss.

That isn't irrational.

What is irrational is letting that dictate all thoughts on team that has done more than play just game 1 of the Clippers series.

To believe that what happened in that game meant an automatic and deserved sweep out of the playoffs for the Rockets was irrational.

To let that performance of that one game was the sum and total of all that these Rockets were is irrational.

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

This team is so weird, when it all works it's amazing, when it's bad it's so ugly it's shameful. I stay away from all the knee-jerking though

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I thought this was a fan forum for die hard rocket fans.

We aren't allowed to be emotionally upset after a loss? I don't think I want to be part of fan forum who has rational fans that are desensitized to the rockets loosing badly in big playoff games.

5. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Usually for me it's the past failures. They always do something to let me down lol. But I still love my team and will ride with them forever and till the end.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's irrational either. Halfway into game 2, we were on course to getting swept.

It's not irrational at all to have been furious and panicked after game 1. You can't compare it reasonably to the two teams' season records. The Rockets and the Clippers finished one seed apart, which is really close. The Clippers without Chris Paul in a road game when they finished a seven game series two days ago ................. that's not even a playoff team, and still a much worse team than the Rockets minus Beverley and D-Mo plus Howard.

There would not have been as much panic if we started on the road. There would not have been as much panic if Chris Paul played. There would not have been as much panic if the Clippers were well rested and the Rockets were coming off an exhausting 7 game series against the World Champions two days ago.

The loss indicated something very serious about this team: they couldn't muster up the maturity or the energy to put in a decent performance, and when they were down all players but Dwight folded. It's not about the one win, it's more about the devastatingly poor mental make-up of this team and that's a sore spot for this fanbase (see: T-Mac era).

1 person likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

A couple of things. Fans are allowed to feel whatever way they want. They can react rationally or irrationally.

To pretend like I or any other fan who wasn't throwing in the towel and bailing on the team wasn't upset with the Rockets performance in game isn't accurate.

The only difference is that one game doesn't a season, or playoffs, or series make.

It is okay to hate the way the Rockets played in game one, and feel awful about it, and confused and even question what was going through the players' hearts and minds after a loss like game 1.

However, it isn't rational to give up on a team that has overcome so much over the course of an 82 game season. Why not look at the good they've done and weigh that in as well.

I would rather give the team a chance. I would rather believe that somehow after a horrible loss and on the verge of a second home loss to a CPless Clippers there might maybe be a chance that our star player would find it in him to help the pull the team up, and watch him take over in the clutch like he's done time and time again during the season. To believe that it could be done, and have the team live up to that in game 2, isn't irrational either. Or even if it is, it's just more fun to some of us fans.

More than anything, I was curious as to how some fans could ignore all the good and all the times that this team has fought against the odds of injuries, new players, etc. and still come out on top. Many people were willing to throw all of that away based on one game. I was just curious as to why?

I'm completely fine if the way people want to indulge their fandom is in irrational negativity. I realize and appreciate that none of us will celebrate our fandom in the same exact way.

But the negative Nancy approach isn't my approach and I was honestly curious as to what the motivation behind it happened to be.

But I'm not going to back step on this because there is a huge difference between two ways of looking at a loss.

1. We lost, played horribly, and lacked heart in one game... Therefore these Rockets don't deserve anything good that has happened to them, don't have what it takes to win another game in the playoffs despite all of the injuries they've triumphed over as a team during this season etc.

or

2. We lost, played horribly, and lacked heart in one game... Therefore I hope these Rockets can at least put up a better effort when the chips are down in future playoff games for this series. I know the team lost it's celebrated 2nd star for half the season, their starting PF, their second string PF who became their starter, had their roster and rotation drastically changed, lost their PG and energy spirt player to injury, and yet have still found ways to win and end up being ranked 2nd in an incredibly stacked Western Conference this year. So maybe I ought to at least let this Rockets team show me whether they have what it takes to bounce back, or not before I write them off 100%.

Both ways are fine for people to chose and act accordingly. It's just that one not only is more fun to me, but seems more rational.

I won't say the Rockets will win every game, or win this series, or even win another game, but they've earned (throughout a season's worth of games) enough respect from me to not jump ship, and at least watch and believe there is some kind of a chance.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good post FB.

I think it's also a matter of the calm people not posting after losses. We go to sleep or think about the game.

The type of people who make new threads right after a loss are inevitably the more emotional angry types who already have an agenda and want to bump their old threads or tell everyone they were right all along.

Also, people have learned that more extreme opinions get more responses. The most responses go to the very well researched threads with genuine insight, but those are hard to do, so people go the Skip Bayless route.

1 person likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But it is irrational to believe that one single game was the sum total of the measurement of this team's mental make-up.

Again, that game one deserves to be looked and weighed. It isn't irrational to factor that piss-poor performance in the analysis of this team. But is irrational to consider only that game. The fact that they overcame so many injuries and still managed to end up ranked higher than every team in the West except for one also deserves to be considered as part of their mental make-up.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True that. There is no way an inconsistent team has fans are consistently happy or unhappy.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River

12. Sanity2disChaos

too many fan post that don't understand the GAME..

13. MFG16

MFG16 Member

There's no logical reason for why fans act the way they do. Fans will tear down their city after winning a championship and tear it down after losing a championship. Neither makes sense.

Rockets are my team. Grew up loving them and will root for them as long as I'm alive. When they lose, I lose. When they play without heart and lose, I get mad because I know they're better.

14. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

No matter how many posts people keep throwing up I will never accept the performance from game 1. So far this team has played 2 quarters of playoff basketball this series. Please keep drinking the koolaid and calling out all the realists as "People that don't understand the game" and "people that are irrational".

15. AnHero

AnHero Member

never change cf. never change.

DAE think some posters get mad when our team plays like garbage?

16. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

The best is people acting the same way after a win. Over the last few years its harder and harder to read the board after a loss or a non blow out win.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yup. Houston fans have earned the right to be pessimists. :(

18. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

I think a lot of posters would agree with me that they can take a loss if the team plays hard. Sometimes the shots just don't go in or the other team is just better. Doesn't make us irrational to get upset at a chickensh!t performance.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

McFail
    Drunk playoff harden pg
    Idiot moreyball
    Le$

We could all learn a lot from the rational people posting these 4 great takes.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think it was irrational to think the Rockets wouldn't win another game if Chris Paul was coming back for game 2.