1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 5/6/2015 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2015.

1. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Codman do you know the moral in the locker room and our players?

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought almost everyone f'ed up in Game 1. Who are you referring to specifically and what did he do?

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I'm guessing your referring to McHale? I'm not a fan of his by any means but game one wasn't even remotely his fault. Our players are just lazy and stupid. That's the bottom line. TOs, no transition D and no effort. It hasn't changed all year. You can't coach that

4. count_dough-ku

He's referring to McHale? What exactly did he do or not do in Game 1? If I'd fault McHale for anything, it's how unprepared the players seemed to be? But that's only partly on him. These guys are professionals. It shouldn't take a dictatorial coach or verbal abuse during a timeout to get them to take care of the basketball, not blow point blank layups, and not leave Clippers shooters wide open.

5. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I was so frustrated with game one that I just wanna see how this team comes out to play. I dislike seeing our players talk about championship and then comes out with a effort like that.

I wanna see energy and ball movement on offense and focus on defense. This may be a bit much to ask for but play with common sense and limit the turnovers. As for McHale.....no comment.

-Buda

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We will learn a lot about the team tonight I think, and a lot about McHale. Can't wait, frankly.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

TJ's output in 2 reg. season Ws over LAC:

2/25, 110-105 -- 14 pts (6-13), 8 rebs, 5 blocks
    3/15, 100-98 -- 16 pts (7-14) and 12 rebs

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

No one knows the immediate feelings/morale in the locker room, especially after a bad,bad playoff loss.

Do I know of players/coaches who question McHale's hold on the team (including accountability) or his ability to make decisions during the game, instead of simply before and after? Certainly. Yes.

To be fair, I respect the Rockets' record under McHale, but there's an asterisk there. He needs more time. I guess this is part of learning.

Look, as a Rockets fan, I want the best for our guys. They played like crap in game one. But, if you take a closer look at some of the aspects in the game that they had no part in deciding, it becomes frustrating.

McHale is a great person, but he has been learning to coach at a high level since he was signed to a contract. Essentially, he's learned on the fly after his debacles in MinneSnowta. Luckily, Morey surrounded him with some AMAZING support.

That part is my opinion. I don't know Kevin personally.

Our regular season record was great. Kevin and co. should be applauded.

Playoff games and direction during the moments when your team is in the pits of hell is a different ballgame.

With that said, I still think the Rockets will win tonight and split a game in LA.

Game 5 is going to be the game of the year, I'd assume.

10. HookemHorns1250

I've gone through my negativity phase. Now...I'm anxious to see how this team responds to the horrible effort given in game one.

I hope to seee a focused, energized, and prepared team heading into tonight. We can steal one in LA, but this game has to be won.

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

We win by 20. Harden for 32 and Howard beats up Deandre on the boards. Let's GO!!!

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Can we win this game convincingly? Do they have hearts if they are not going to fight for a win?

13. HookemHorns1250

I wouldn't be shocked if they actually did rest Paul for game 2, especially after winning game one. They did what they were supposed to do...win one on the road. So if Paul is in any kind of pain, I expect them to rest him for the night.

If this is the case, good lawdy if we lose again the city of Houston might riot.

14. count_dough-ku

I get what you're saying and others are echoing those sentiments in other threads. I would just ask what exactly McHale was supposed to do in Game 1? I mean, the entire team save for Dwight and maybe Pablo just flat out didn't show up.

At least in the Dallas series, there was always someone stepping up. Game 1, it was Brewer, Ariza, and Terry carrying the load when Harden wasn't his dominant self and Dwight was in foul trouble. Game 2, it was Smith, Howard, and Brewer. Game 3, the two superstars just dominated. Game 4 was a bad team performance, although Brewer and Smith were huge in the 4th quarter(the deficit was too big to dig out of though). And Game 5, Howard, Smith, and T-Jones(at least in the 4th quarter) played well.

I do fault McHale for not having the team mentally prepared for Game 1. They came out soft and unfocused and that's hard to shake during a game no matter how many timeouts you call. But the players were so bad that night that I don't really see what adjustments or substitutions he could've made to remedy the situation. If Ariza(after the 1st quarter) AND Brewer both suck, there's no 3rd option at the 3. If T-Jones AND Smith suck, there's no 3rd option at the 4. If Harden has one of those games where he mentally checks out in the 2nd half, what can McHale do? Sub in Nick Johnson?

This is not exclusive to the Rockets. If Chris Paul and Blake Griffin play like crap, guess what? The Clippers get their asses kicked. Just look at Game 3 vs the Spurs if you don't believe me. Was that loss on Doc Rivers? Maybe a little, but ultimately his players just didn't show up for that one and got rolled.

15. 757dstreet

757dstreet Member

Sounds like a Wu-Tang reference to me... reference "M-E-T-H-O-D MAN" with the torture intro off the Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) album.

Anyway, my take is that the Rockets need for James Harden to emerge as their leader, and as the MVP candidate we have seen throughout the season, and once during the playoffs. He must dominate and draw attention to get his teammates great looks. Playoff Dwight has been phenomenal, and that he needs to lend his playoff experience and leadership to the locker room and rally the troops behind Harden and him. We don't have D-Mo for an alternate mid-to-low post game to draw defenders onto the weak side, and Jones hasn't quite shown up. I would like to see J-Smoove get the start and (figuratively) hit Blake Griffin in the mouth on both sides of the floor.

1 loss doesn't lose the series, but 2 losses sure as hell doesn't help our situation.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Doc Rivers on Chris Paul playing: &quot;I pretty much doubt it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/595988823219175425">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Doc Rivers said he's doubtful Chris Paul will play.</p>&mdash; Ben Bolch (@latbbolch) <a href="https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/595988737764495361">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Paul: &quot;It's one of those things that you don't want to make it worse than it already is.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/595992175084613632">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Matt Barnes on covering Harden: &quot;it's hard I'm hoping the refs can let us play physical. If they allow me to guard James.&quot;</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/595993277662269440">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Paul: &quot;Everyday it's better and we'll see if it's ready for tonight.&quot;</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/595994051645583360">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

#176 J.R., May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

ITS A TRAP!

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Video of Doc Rivers yukking up our fans and the goddamned smirks on the LAC bench at the end of the game should be playing on a loop in the locker room and practice court.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

He doesn't have to be 100% to breakdown terry or Pablo. He causes disruption. Heck the rockets made Blake griffin look like an awesome point forward. They couldn't even stop him. Even mchale said they didn't execute the correct defensive game plan on him.

20. kurt_caminiti

kurt_caminiti Member

CP3 doubtful. Hopefully we don't f*** it up this time