1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Five

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jul 27, 2014.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Maybe the TV show writers finally got tired of the overzealous book readers spoiling the show for everybody else. Problem solved. :grin:

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Seemingly makes room for the return of Jorah and Tyrion's arrival.

3. dmoneybangbang

We don't know who for sure is dead.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Grey Worm made it out alive. It opens new space in Dany's council.

On a passing note, Meryn Trant is heading to Braavos where Arya is. I'm sure that's going to go well for him.

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Didn't really care for Grey worm all that much, hope they keep the old badass dude alive though. Doubtful.

WARNING SPOILERS FOR HANNIBAL BELOW! Different show I know.

This scene reminded me so much of the Hannibal season finale where they seemingly offed 4 main charters in the same scene but also at the same time left their fates unknown! SUCH GOOD TV!

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They're really trying to make Stannis a likeable character this season. Makes me think he may not make it to the end.

Personally, I find him to be the most qualified to run Westeros, but that Red Queen is a wild-card.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

HAHAHAHAHA Repped!

8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Can't agree more, Dany annoys the hell out of me.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're not dead.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think they've foreshadowed Selyse and Lady Melisandre sacrificing Shireen to the Lord of the Light. They had that scene where she convinced her to bring her daughter to the Wall by showing her things in the fire. They're setting up a conflict over the daughter. Selyse is a religious fanatic. It kind of parallels what's happening in King's Landing with the Faith Militant.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Very true, the Red Woman made a comment about needing her and Selyse has never really cared for Shireen.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe spoiler this stuff.

Anyway, I think it would be a "are you devoted? sacrifice your kid, then, show me" scene, where the kid is actually spared at the last second.

Just a guess. Even GoT would lose some of its "militant faithful" if it showed a child being sacrificed.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep, and the fact that in such a jammed pack season they are going out of their way to give so much background to Leanna Stark and explaining the events the events of The Tourney the way they did means we might be getting payoff to those theories sooner than we might have ever thought.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

One beef about this episode though was the way they introduced the Sand Snakes. For such a believable fantasy show (if there is such a thing), I found their look, and tough as nails portrayal as laughable. The editing in order to make that spear throw look legit was something else.

I think they might have screwed up with this casting, but I guess they can't find Brienne's every day. Also Pedro Pascal did the accent so much better. Coming from these girls it sounds like complete crap. They are going to have to try alot harder to make those girls believable in any way that they are that dangerous, and that they aren't faking this weird middle-eastern sounding accent.

Its hard to find something to pick on for GOT so I'll reserve final judgement for later episodes. For now, I'm not impressed, and don't think these are characters that have earned the ability to kill off any major player in Westeros if it comes to that.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah for cool characters, it was a very bad introduction. The entire scene came across as hammy and over the top.

In their defense, it's a little hard to do the accent for the new actors. They have all admitted that Pedro Pascal originated the accent, they are trying to copy him. Oberyn was so damn smooth, but we had nothing to compare him to, maybe his accent would have seemed terrible. These girls just sounded like they were doing a poor Oberyn impersonation.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You mean a bunch of guest stars from Xena: Warrior Princess showed up and started eviscerating people and pretending to be Spanish.

Yeah that wasn't all that.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Agree with some earlier sentiments. The death of Ser Barristan is kind of a convenient way to reconcile Dany with the idea of Jorah and Tyrion.

The Sand Snakes intro was pretty weak. And showing a loving side of Stannis is really a pretty easy giveaway for coming trouble.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I didn't care for the Sand Snakes in the books, and they aren't redeeming themselves in the show. I think GOT demeans itself by luxuriating in this sort of badass chick Red Sonya trope.

You don't have time for TV, but you do have time to come comment in a thread about a show you don't watch? :confused:

Yeah, still seemed like BS to me. Unsullied are supposed to be great fighters with tons of training and experience. Sons of the Harpy are supposed to be men from the former ruling class of the city. They might have some training and experience in some city militia, I suppose, but I don't see why the sons of privileged families would be better street brawlers than the Unsullied.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I want Oberyn back. :(
    Hoped his family would have the same level of awesomeness, but seems not. Maybe there are one or two cool brothers we haven't seen yet, still holding my hopes up.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Consider the unsullied are used to fighting in open spaces with long spears, you set up an ambush from both sides in tight quarters with small range weapons and you're going to have an advantage.