1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stopping Scrub Barrea

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CometsWin, Apr 27, 2015.

1. krouchchocolate

just sign andrew bynum. Game OVER! lol j/k

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly I don't have much hope. He's been killing us for about 3 games now, something different should have been done in game 4 once he saw that he was starting.

Losing to Dirk and Monta is acceptable...but Aminu and JJB? No, fix this.

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

So you're implying that you don't feel good about the Rockets' chances of closing this one out tomorrow night?

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

The fact that we have a thread where the topic is to stop JJ Barea is sad. If we lose the next game and the series led by JJ Barea, I'd probably stop watching Rockets for the rest of my life or at least the next couple of years. There's no excuse to not win the next game.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No. I don't have much hope of any changes made.

Rockets will win because they are far and above more talented. Not because they are outsmarting the Mavs. I believe Harden and Howard will show up and that will be the end of the series.

If the Rockets were outsmarting the Mavs they would have never gone on that 9 minute stretch of not making a shot...especially since everyone knows that Dallas has no answer to the PNR...just run that when you are in a drought to get some Momentum going...

So we'll see JJB doing the same thing. Difference is that we'll be at home so more shots will fall and Howard had a bad game so he'll be looking to rebound...and we'll keep it close game 5 at worst so that when Brewer and Smith do their usual 4th qtr barrage we'll have the lead and close it out.

6. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Ok. I want the Rockets to come out like it's game 7 and stomp them. PNR all the way with Harden beasting in attack mode and drawing fouls.

Game 1 Howard (without the fouls) needs to show up and just clean up and defend.

It's a very simple recipe, just needs to be executed from the start.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

no one wants to play defense. if they decide to then we should start brewer. the bench will take a hit but it will be fine. the pf/c rotation will keep it from falling off completely. priggs backup up, and terry backups up both guard spots. terry will have a much easier time shooting against 2nd units.

if brewer is getting 20mpg at pg then we need to get kosats in the rotation. he's definitely not a scrub, he was doing ok in november. forced to play overplay him and he still did ok. he cna do a lotta things - run the floor, pass, defend, borderline threes, slash. rocketsd ont have many options with two rotation players injured, esp bev.

jj has been going off on our old pgs every game. its clearly a problem. they have to do something other than playing defense as a team. need someone to keep up with him and harris.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Game plan is fairly simple: defend as best as you can with total effort, rebound, and relentless attack going to the rim. Shooters need to shoot without hesitation. Play 48 minutes till the final wistle.

Go put and execute the game plan and it will be a double digit win.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Howard can't let his FT shooting get into his head and dictate how he'll play in the game. All he has to do with Chandler is out-quick him (Chandler's only shot is to make it a wrestling match) and he'll be fine. Now, they will need to adjust their PnR strategy because the Mavs will be trying to hide Dirk from the Rox PnR which was absolutely destroying the Mavs in the first three games. The Mavs strategy in game 4 was to pack the paint and let the Rox shoot jumpshots. If they (Mavs) do this again, this ends tomorrow night.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I prefer the NBA 2K video game defense, where you turn off 3 seconds and just park your Center under the basket to block shots.

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

When you call Barea a scrub, you're actually insulting the Rockets, not him, because we haven't stopped him. Barea is a good player, and played an important role on the 2011 championship team.

Being small doesn't stop him from penetrating to the paint and dishing for oops and dunks; it helps. He has never been stopped from doing so the entire series so far, and he will continue to until the game plan changes.

What I do think will change is the law of averages will have to hit him eventually on those impossible floaters he's throwing over Dwight. Dwight is doing his job; he's stepping up to stop the penetration, and Barea has sunk numerous very tough, running, high-arcing floaters over Dwight's extended arm. I was surprised at each make, but keep telling myself, "forcing a Mavs possession into a running 10 foot teardrop by Barea over Dwight Howard is a good possession." Eventually those are going to stop falling.

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Just put Nick Johnson on him.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

We're up 3-1 and Mavs fans are acting like Barea and Aminu are their super secret weapons that Carlisle finally unleashed. The reality is both guys are not even rotation players on many NBA teams but everyone in the NBA is good and has to be respected. We didn't pay them any respect and they hurt us for it.

Let's see how they do when we actually plan for them a little bit.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sure if you took a list of all the scrub players in the NBA and against what team they had their best scoring average or career game, the Rockets would be high on the list of culprits.

It's like they're never prepared for anyone past a team's sixth man.

15. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Joking aside...dont see any harm in a nice hard playoff foul on him

16. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

FWIW, the regular season game in which the rockets lost to the Mavs was on a hot night by Aminu too

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Problem with taking Barrea on offense is that he just falls down every play.

I have seen at least 3 blown charge calls where Mavericks were falling down before contact and they were called offensive fouls. Driving me crazy.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I don't understand how a supposedly championship caliber team lets scrubs like JJ ****ing Barea look like a hall of famer.

19. MissouriRocket

Do not worry. Houston has this

20. MissouriRocket

Nick should get more Pt