1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jason Quick] Trail Blazers' list of concerns after Game 1 should include the future of LaMarcus Ald

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Would Morey want LMA? He is a midrange shooter and has a low TS%.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aldridge is a 'star'. Of course Morey would want him!

Morey would eliminate his mid-range game and tell him to step out to the 3 point line.

Anyways, not happening here.

Good news for San Antonio & Dallas [if he's really looking around and wants to be close to family in Texas].

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes, Morey would take Aldridge in a heartbeat regardless of his shot chart looking like Allen Iverson's.

I can see the Mavs making a strong run for him. A Dirk/Aldridge combo would be tough to defend. Okur/Boozer Jazz on steroids.

4. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He's gonna end up in SA and he and Kawhi are going to dominate the league for the bext decade. They JUST WON'T DIE.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I think he stays in Portland. He has been there a long time, the offense is built around him and he gets to do just about anything he wants.

His home is Dallas, and Cuban will make a strong play...... I am sure the Rockets will check in too, the Rockets have the young players that the Blazers would covet.

If he goes anywhere outside of Portland I think it is San Antonio. He would get to play for the best coach in modern basketball history, would be playing for the most stable and successful organization in basketball and would probably win a Championship or two.

Aldridge/Duncan/Leonard as your front court? Good luck stopping that.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Aldridge would be more likely to head to Dallas, given their cap space; but that would be weird, having Tyson Chandler coming off the bench and asking Aldridge to be the starting center. You can bet Dirk isn't ready to be Sixth Man of the Year.

We'd have to go the sign-and-trade route, or find some sucker team with cap space willing to take on Dwight Howard....and then some....just to free up room to pursue him. (No, I don't think Morey is looking to do this, anyway.)

Chances are he'd stay in Portland, but I'd throw up in my mouth if Dallas got him. Especially if we have a half-assed summer, this time with just Llull to show for it (although I think he'll be a great addition, he isn't an Aldridge-sized "get").

Kevin Love would be more of a target if Cleveland doesn't win the title with him, but one pipe dream at a time, if you please.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fickle, Moody and Unpredictable aren't the qualities that typically work within Pops' dictatorship.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why is Aldridge goign to Dallas?

He's been in Portland for a long time now.

Putting him on Dallas and subtracting whoever makes Dallas, what, a 3-5 seed quality team? More or less what a healthy Portland is now. Seems like a lateral move at best, and Lillard is better than anyone on Dallas' roster.

Ringchasing in San Antonio seems like a more realistic option, though I don't even know if I'd sign up for that until later on down the career line.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see him leaving. Injuries seem to be their undoing this year but they have a good team and a good coach. Going to SA only makes sense if Tim and Pop stay but I don't know if that will happen. Going to Dallas makes no sense because of Dirk and Tyson already locking up the starting spots down low. Going to Houston is impossible for cap reasons.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One free agency wild card is the dramatically rising cap in summer 2016.

This means that a big money free agent might be willing to sign a one year deal in 2015 at the max or even not-quite-the-max and enter free agency again in 2016. This might help the Rockets get in on the Aldridge game.

The Rockets will be a bit short of Aldridge's max if they let all the free agent and non-guaranteed deals go, and then trade away Ariza and one or both of DMo or Jones for no money back. He might not sign a 4 year deal at that money, but he might sign a 1 year deal at that money and then re-up or leave in 2016 for better money.

11. frontline94

frontline94 Member

well its assuming dirk quits, in that instance, he'd be, as much as i hate to say it, an excellent fit... mid range shooter who has an insider presence and can play defense is something dallas would love in their next pf

12. HTM

HTM Member

He isn't worth the price for Houston

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LMA is an interesting player as he isn't really an Alpha but he is a great 2nd guy. He schtick is, he really good at hitting bad shots. I don't think there is a better player in the league who can rise up over their defender and hit those long twos. Its a real shame Portland hasn't grasped the concept of those being bad shots, because LMA could have been a much much better player than he is, if he were developed better.

With LMA, Portland has consistently been a top ten offensive, sometimes even as high as 1st or 2nd, so even with his individual efficiency low, he hasn't been a liability as far as team output goes. It still begs the question of how much better the Blazers could have been if they played smarter.

We know by Morey asking for Brewer to waive his player option, that the Rockets intend to be in a position to use their cap space this off season. That really only makes sense for a max caliber player. Adding a ten million dollar player and losing Brewer, Terry, Pablo, Kostas, in the process doesn't make much sense.

Adding LMA to this team would almost certainly involve us dumping Ariza. Although, if you could convince Aldridge to sign a 2 year 30 million dollar deal, with promise of an early bird max contract following those two years, using the new monster cap figures, it could be do-able with a little cap manuevering. That would involve us dumping our PFs and our pick for future assets.

This offseason is going to be really exciting!

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Can totally see him going to SAS. Spurs have the money and the talent to win.

Parker
    Green
    Leonard
    LMA
    Duncan

That team can win it all. Duncan, at this rate, has 2 -3 years left in him in my opinion. Parker is still very good and Leonard is going to be a star.

Dallas is not a good situation. Dirk is showing his age even more nowadays, uncertainty with Rondo, LMA would have to play center (something he does not like doing) and pretty boy Parsons is making 15M a year.

I think Houston can get enough cap (Morey quoted last offseason's failure that he wanted to save cap for next offseason) and a big three of Harden, Howard and LMA is the best in the NBA. LMA has been quoted to liking "what Houston has been doing.". Would pretty much have to hope Brewer, Smith and co. take minimum contracts.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Outside of Ellis, they don't really have any solid wing players, right? They went through Mayo, Carter, Ellis...I get that wing players are probably the easiest type of player to find, but there's just no staying power if you're a SG in DAL.

I feel bad for Ellis - he's not a bad basketball player at all, but he bounces around teams so much.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As long as LMA doesn't got to San Antonio or Dallas, I am good.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The other reason he may come to Houston is that we can assemble a most attractive S+T package that will help him avoid leaving the Blazers "high and dry".

I'm sure he wants to have his Jersey retired without reservations.

And yes, he is worth it as the final piece especially if we are getting a PG of Llull's caliber

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If he goes to the Spurs I will melt

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He's solid in the post and morey would move him back to the 3 like he did with Josh smith.

I don't think he's coming here but he could easily be a moreyball player

20. MystikArkitect

Guess hell go to Dallas and they'll move Dirk to the 3 where they have a dire need.