1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Also, most national podcasts naturally only cover the Rockets periodically. A lot of people are not looking for that.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rockets need to make multiple deep playoff runs to get close to the interest this city had back after the championships (and that interest was sustained from 95 - 2000... when the team started sucking again).

Anything less, and they'll continue to get the current level of "interest" from callers, talk-show hosts and day-to-day conversations.... and they will likely always take a back-seat to the NFL, short of winning the title (which is true in every multi-sport market).

#582 Nick, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Go to a Mavs game in Dallas. TC isn't ever going to be like what you see in Golden State but it's not that bad.

Considering how many corporate seats they sell it's actually pretty good considering.

4. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

There are many apps that update podcasts within minutes of being posted.

also, that hour each way of terrestrial radio has at least 20 minutes of commercials, and the talk, especially caller driven, is usually clichéd, lowest common denominator drivel. So, ya know, you get what you deserve if you're still willing to use the am dial.

People complain about there being few rockets only podcasts, but then act like the little rockets talk on radio that there is is substantive, analytic, or interesting. Sorry, talk radio caters to entry level sports fans.

5. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Kinda hard to know what you're talking about when it comes to the rockets if you can't put it in context of the rest of the league.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yeah, right. I mean, how can I understand the Rockets without understanding what Lebron is tweeting about Kevin Love, or what Steph Curry thinks of Mark Jackson's pick for MVP.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We are an apathetic sports town no matter how passionate this isolated segment of the fans are here on this BBS. We consistently rank in the bottom of markets for sports ratings despite being larger than almost all of them. Heck, we even rank slightly below average for FOOTBALL TV ratings, despite being a football town, when compared to league averages.

It's not a passionate sports town in general, but the one sport that there is some passion for is football.

8. RESINator

RESINator Member

Le$ b****es

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Sad, first call of the morning on 790 is a Spurs fan. I blame the city facts show it.

10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I stated earlier in the thread that Lance is football focused. That doesn't mean he hates talking Rockets. He'll do more than put his 2 cents in. I've been listening, reading, and following Lance on tweeter since he started in radio. When he started he was very raw, all emotion and a horrible interviewer. He's knows football better than any sport so it is natural he'll talk football in a football town. The whole city has been football focused for 7 years. Why? Because the Astros have sucked, and the Rockets were stuck in 8th seed/ lottery then no exposure on TV for 2 years. Out of site, out of mind.

With the play-offs around the corner, the Rockets will be discussed from now until their season is over. Then it will be full force NFL with a sprinkle of Astros despite it being the heart of MLB. Does that mean they hate the Astros? Charlie will be begging for baseball callers and he won't get many. Don't try and tell me Charlie hates baseball. It is our city, well at least our callers.

That said BEAT THE SPURS BABY!

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I knew somebody else had to see the truth here. When I go to games I can't believe the number of late arrivals, early exits. I shouldn't be surprised though because during the Astros glory years it was the same thing. This city is filled with ho hum fans.

12. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Lance still out covering NFL stuff so enjoy the proper gentleman show today, they are talking tons of Basketball and Rockets. Your telling me if Lance was here he wouldn't have derailed that conversation 20 minutes earlier to talk about his twitter account or the NFL draft?

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

I actually listened to 790 most of the 6-7 o clock hour this morning because it was all Rockets talk.

First time in a long time I haven't switched to my aux input within a couple of minutes of getting in the car.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Flipping through the radio stations this morning on the way to work and I landed on 610 for a few minutes. One of the guys thought wolves weren't real. Yes, wolves. He thought they were made-up for movies and the like. Now, I don't know if he's genuinely that stupid or if he's just playing a stupid character on the radio, but either way it just makes me want to never listen to any talk radio at all when I hear something like that. It's not for me.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wait... So you're telling me that wolves really do exist? I thought they were mythical creatures along with the Lynx and piranha.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They were real. But then this happened:

[​IMG]

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just want to point a few things out. Maybe I'm coming to the darkside...

The other day on 790, Adam Clanton and Michael were talking about the centers on other teams, specifically Robin Lopez and Kaman. They maybe did 2 minutes when Lance said something like "Blah blah blah, boring! Let's get stop this backup center talk and get to these crime reports!"

Then today on 610, John Lopez (noted Spurs fan) and that shows producer were mocking the Rockets for winning the division and I guess acting like it's not that big of a deal? Teasing that the Rockets would raise a division banner, with the insinuation being that raising division banners is what loser teams do.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, I caught that. No defending Lance there. And just this morning Adam embarrassed himself, as usual, while trying to discuss Rajon Rondo and his 6.5assists per game. He should really switch over to Top 40 radio, he'd be perfect for that.

But, they really are hit or miss when it comes to worth while Rockets talk. Which is cool for me most of the time, but I'm totally NBA Playoffs and Rockets-centric right now, so I've been looking into some of the podcasts mentioned in this thread. Are they always a day behind? Are there any podcasts that get posted the day that they are recorded?

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The Starters podcast comes out almost daily, there's for today is already available.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Today Adam was talking Rockets and said "We should give Parsons the Aaron Hernandez treatment" and Lance took off with 10 minutes of Aaron Hernandez discussion.