1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New forum ideas for ClutchFans ... and why

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Don't recall anyone saying it was out of the question, but do you honestly think that is enough subject matter for an entire forum? I could see a subforum of the Hangout dedicated to your community service stuff, but I think it might not be big enough for him to devote a new forum to it.

and fwiw, in answer to your other question, when one of your charity events lines up to a free spot in my schedule, I will attempt to show. Thats really the best I can do.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Looking foward to meeting you someday 2K. :)

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Need to get this going soon so I'm bumping this for some thoughts...

I want to test new software for forums. It will have some good new features and lack some, so I want the community to test it. It will be a separate site completely with separate logins (though everyone would have their same usernames for testing purposes), so any posts on there are completely disconnected from the forums you see here.

If/when the community likes the new software, I would take the existing forums we use now and convert it over. I wouldn't convert the test forum over as cleanly, so it's for that reason that I don't do Texans or the D&D because it would be a nightmare to transfer back into one site (it would be great if it was a new, separate spin-off site, but it's not).

So how about a baseball forum? There isn't a huge following for it, but there are some diehards and it would allow them to have a forum (rather than just one dedicated thread in the Other Sports forum) and test out new software, which is the main purpose of this.

Any thoughts on that? Would you have any interesting in posting baseball-related stuff in a new software test forum?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would prefer soccer, but I realize I am in the minority :).

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

I know you are thinking it Clutch.

An Unsorted site. The one and only. Enter if ya dare.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If people will use it and re-use it to test it, I'm fine with an "Unsorted Too" forum as well.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why not "In this thread every post should have a picture" 'let swoly back in and that's all the traffic you will need lol. Jk.

honestly tho why not do NFL draft thread as the guinea pug. People can still come talk about the Texans in that official thread, but can talk about everything else there. It's going to be a pretty big talked about event. And it seems to line up perfectly with your desired timing.

Trades, surprising selections, overall thoughts and analysis. Draft prospect videos and scouting reports etc. Sure there would be lots of talk as well.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Are you still using vBulletin?

Can we please get a soccer forum as well? Not many MLS diehards here, but international and EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga are aplenty.
    Also we have both a baseball and soccer team. Astros and Dynamo.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my thought is sort of an offshoot of moving the D&D (which i would support in any case): a forum dedicated to the 2016 elections and candidates. it can be easily sunsetted in 18 months if the idea/software doesn't work, and it would separate a lot of the existing "discussion" about the ME, Obama, W, Islam, racism...etc from a focus on what comes next.

this is the first time in 8 years w/ no incumbent, and a wide open race on one side. a good time for a fresh start, with a focus on criticism (and support) of ideas, not individuals.

/2cents

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You could have a "TEST posts" forum. It could be next to the Feedback section.

People misspell so much stuff and post such bad BB code... it's no wonder they don't know how... because they never test it and they're BB noobs. :eek:

EDIT: That "Rio Grande Valley Vipers" forum is like a ghost town and so is the "2015 NBA Draft" one...

Lastly: why not make the latter "NBA DRAFT and College Basketball Talk" so all years could be discussed and you don't have to change it in 2016? :eek:

:mad:

Why are you "Jk."? :(

You tease.

#130 SwoLy-D, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think it would cool to have a soccer forum instead of us all just posting in 1 or 2 threads all year.

There are a lot of Dynamo fans who post, national team followers and of course those of us who like the European leagues.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think a forum for otherwise banned users would be a great idea. They would be only allowed to post in that one forum and the rest of us would sit back and enjoy. Imagine the likes of FFB rants with SwolyD responses on a daily basis.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

If you want a good temporary forum that's sure to get peoples interest, then make one that has the word "INSIDER" on it! The paging cyberx thread took a life of it's own! Right now it's sitting dormant on the 5th page of the GARM, BUT in roughly 2months from now that baby is sure to wake up from its hibernation and get people wanting an insider "fix"!

Or....

Like previously mentioned, make a pic only forum and let Swoly run free!...:grin:

Free <strike>Willy</strike> Swoly and all your dreams will come true!...:p

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2 months... more like 2 minutes apparently.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Insider scoops forum is a great idea.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For a testing site? :confused:

Clutch pretty much said the forum might not migrate cleanly if he ever made the big switch. Sounds like he doesn't want to merge two sites if he migrates to a new solution. And Insider Scoops is at the heart and soul of the GARM.

Clutch,

Just go with it. Best to just get it going for the summer when you have more time. Baseball not my thing, but I'd make a point of posting and testing. I think many here would be glad to help test and would, regardless of the topic. Maybe just relax moderation rules, and allow other topics in the forum, if it helps attract testers.

Along with the main forum topic "Baseball" maybe allow people to start "testing" threads of any topic of interest...as long as they use a Thread Filter so you can easily delete them later. Maybe require a [Testing] prefix or a [Delete Me] prefix like you have in the "Hot Deals and Classified" forum, and those threads are allowed to be any topic, so long as the OP and responders realize the thread will be deleted at migration time.

MLB Baseball and [Testing]

#136 heypartner, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but will there be any regulation to the immaturity in the GARM? I've been on and off posting for years and I understand people get pissed after a loss, but man, the type of crap that's posted in the GARM is really gotten bad.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People are ranting, it is what it is.
    Losses hurt.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a novel idea for a new forum named Styx

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I propose a NSFW forum and let Jontro mod it.