1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Good, I thought about sending him an email calling him out too but I know a lot of people already do because he's been on air venting about emailers complaining about his lack of Rocket talk and always goes back to the defense of "Well we are caller driven radio and no one is calling in about basketball".

I also thought about emailing Adam yesterday but figured he so brainwashed by Lance now it doesn't matter, he's a servant of Lance now, used to be such a great Rockets guy and would at the beginning fight for air time to talk Rockets but now he's just given up and allow Lance to run the show. They really need to change the show to "Football Talk 365/24/7"

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So today they had Calvin Murphy on. Right after he was done it was back to football or jersey sales.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

In all honesty, if this bothers you guys so much, why do you keep listening to local sports radio? The radio will cater to what the majority want, and until the Rockets start making deep playoff runs consistently..we are not going to be the focus of all radio talk.

There are PLENTY of other basketball friendly media outlets that talk Rockets.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mate, they do the Rockets segments out of compulsion because 790 advertises themselves as "home of the Houston Rockets". And in reality it's only for about 8 minutes from 7:51 AM to 7:59 AM. They use this short segment daily to justify Rockets talk and being labelled home for the Rockets.

You can clealry tell that the clown Lance can't wait to get back to irrelevant egg ball talk. Dude misses Rockets segments half the time and let's Adam do the talking probably because a) he cares little about the Rockets and b) he doesn't know much about the Rockets or NBA in general.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In all honesty, if the complaints and b****ing here bothers you so much, why do you keep coming to this thread? The thread will cater to what the title is, and until the 790 start talking Rockets consistently..we are not going to give them a free pass.

There are PLENTY of other threads on Clutchfans that talk what you want. :grin:

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

There's not. You have Matt & Adam's podcast once per week. Clutch's podcast comes out maybe once a month. Other than that, there is no outlet to hear Rocket's discussion on a on going basis after each game. Especially when your driving in the morning stuck in traffic for an hour, you just want to have something relevant to listen to. Not NFL draft and Combine discussions.

Please list the other PLENTY of basketball friendly media outlets that talk Rockets on a consistent basis.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lance and Adam sacrifice content for ratings. They know that if the ratings drop they will be out of a job. Can you blame them?

That's why Palillo's show is so much better then theirs and discusses the Rockets at length yet has the worst ratings of all the afternoon shows. He's the program director at 790 and can do whatever he wants without fear of getting canned.

People in Houston are dumb. Very low average IQ especially when it comes to Sports. I've given up on getting angry. I've got 6 NBA podcasts on my phone, listen to other city's tall about losing to our Rockets th day after games:grin: and Twitter.

Stop driving yourselves crazy.

1 person likes this.
  8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yeah, getting a little tired of these kind of comments. The thread title is "Lack of Rocket Talk in Houston Sports Radio" so that's what we are here discussing.

I listened to sport radio for over 10 years and remember the days when even Lance and John would give appropriate cover on the Rockets, things have changed so much since than and it's gear towards football now. I remember working in outside sales where I would be in my car 50% of the day and sports radio got me through the day, it was also enjoyable because the topics were well divided between Astros, Rockets and Texans. These days, it's not same. So it's not like I just found out about 790 recently and decide to b**** about them not talking enough Rockets.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I don't get how people can enjoy PGS show over Charlie's even if you love Texans and Football. Charlie's show has so much more meaningful content and discussion. Lance and Adam are just two middle aged me shooting the sh** about football.

Which NBA podcast do you listen to? I have
    NBA Lock Down
    The Starters
    NBA Hangtime

Neither of those really cover the Rockets, it's more Steph Curry love fest. But still Better than hearing Draft talk. What's the other 3 you have?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

BS report when Simmons has Zach Lowe
    Jalen and Jacoby (both are on Grnatland)

CBS Eye on Basketball

Believe the Hype podcast

1 person likes this.
  11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

For this, I sympathize. It might not be directly caller driven, but it is in fact driven by ratings which hinges on listeners. And let's face it: Houston General Public will shovel steaming piles of 0-16 Texans seasons into their face and say "Thank you" and sign up for more before they will ever turn some interest towards a really, really good Rockets team with Harden putting up historical numbers.

790 guys will still always be alright with me. I razzed Lance like I would any of my pals, not disrespectfully, cause Lance and Adam are, to their credit, funny, affable, entertaining to listen to. Lance and I backed & forth'd a bit recently about it which was kinda cool and appreciated. Matt Thomas and Charlie Palilo have exchanged some email discussions with me before about Rockets topics. All truly nice guys. The morning show did do a slightly better job today talking about the Rockets. The second I turned on my car at 7:15am I hear them talking about Harden. So they got some extra Rockets talk in there before the Calvin Murphy 7:45-8 segment.

It just really falls back on the modern day, average Houston sports fan....there really is just a huge amount of people that would prefer to hear nonstop NFL offseason Combine coverage, 3 months of NFL draft discussions, and NFL history reminiscing.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Y'all want to complain. I understand that, and it's fully within your rights to do so. I'm not going to question that any longer. Now I will proceed to continue questioning it...

Think about it. Outside of Clutchfans... When is the last time that you've heard or participated in any Rockets related conversation that you considered intelligent? When is the last time you walked away from a conversation thinking: "Man, this dude knows his Rockets." Beyond "Did you catch the game last night?" I don't even bother with talking to most people about the Rockets.

As stated by REEKO before, the average fan has a very low IQ when it comes to sports. And unfortunately, that includes TV/Radio personalities. These guys' takes are more times then not basic at best and often totally inaccurate. Charlie is an exception, but he's so damn objective and pragmatic that I often find myself disagreeing with him anyway based off of my Fandom. And while Charlie is legit, the bulk of his callers are still clueless.

As for the Proper Gentleman, yes it's true... Lance's forte is football. But as a Houston sports fan I'm totally ok with that. Nothing wrong with talking about what you know best, because when you venture away from that you expose yourself. And even with that, Lance still knows some basketball and his takes are usually decent. Adam Clanton... Yeah he likes and talks Rockets, but unlike Lance he has absolutely no forte, period. So he is exposed every time he opens his mouth. He's easily my least favorite radio personality. Dude is a doormat, and listening to him constantly being owned often makes me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed myself.

But my TLDR point is: Rockets talk from people who don't know the Rockets is not what you really want. It would be just one more thing to start a thread and complain about. Learn to love the Rockets AND the Texans/football or don't bother with tuning in. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you're still not convinced, Google the definition for: "Insanity".

1 person likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One additional reason to listen to Charlie's show... the weekly Matt Bullard segment. Matt avoids the homerism that Vandimeer brings to his 610 segments and also occasionally adds interesting content about developing player skills (Matt's son plays for my daughter's school and runs a summer camp in the area).

I look forward to his segment as well as JVG appearances on the talk shows.

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

OMG: Vandimeer is the worst homer ever. I cringe everytime he interviews Texans players. It's like you can tell he's just a YES man and is too scared to criticize anything about the Texans. I can forgive him for being 100% Texans talk radio now bc he is employed by them and is their play by play when in the past he used to talk Rockets because he was employed by the station. But, he is way too scared to be real about what's going on with the Texans franchise, he sounds like a little cheerleader when he's interviewing the players.

15. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Today Lance got strategic about shifting the focus away from the Rockets win at New Orleans. He went into Jared Cosert aleged gambling problem and the twitter screen shot, he used that to talk about his own twitter experiences which then led to him talking about his job with the NFL network. From 645 to 730 I heard about 5 - 10 minutes of Rocket's after a big win at New Orleans and the return of Dwight.

16. chandlerbang21

At least morey got radio time fro! 7:51 to 7:56 lol

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

One day, after a big game, we all should just continuously call the Proper Gentleman of Sports to see if they even take Rockets' calls. From 6 to 9am or whenever they come on, just keep calling about the Rockets.

I will say one thing about the city of Houston though. Overall we are so apathetic over anything other than the NFL. Then if the Astros are good, the MLB will take over for any NBA talk even if the Rockets are much better than either the Texans or the Astros. It will probably take us being in a WCF for the city to be "excited" about the Rockets. Totally different standard than the Texans.

As we saw last year, just the slight chance of the Texans getting a wild card had the city buzzing for months... The Texans were 5-7 and were getting more talk than a Rockets team that was 23-7 or whatever they were.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I thought it was hilarious how they transitioned from the Jared Cosart twitter shenanigans into the story about the vicious YOFs.

Basically one of them used to be a blogger for the Chron and wrote a story about exploring trade options for Yao right after he went down in the 2008 playoffs. The YOFs responded in the comment section with death threats and other nonsense. What made the story ridiculous was that some even went so far as to doctoring racist replies into the comment section and sending screenshots to the corporate headquarters in Seattle.

The dude almost lost his job over these YOFs!

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

It seems to me that the host just doesn't know much about basketball and/or don't watch basketball games. Barring a change of the radio hosts, you guys are not going to get much from the radio.

I'm not a Houstonian.

20. hakeemthagreat

I actually called and spoke with Charlie yesterday. The problem was he spoke 90% of time and I got a few words in. I like the guy who comes in before Charlie alot better