1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Vernon Maxwell speaks openly about... everything

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch 's best interview and you don't watch? ?

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm not a 99er so I'm not worthy to watch the interview. :)

3. tinman

Supporting Member

If you watch maybe the answer will be there

4. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I got to hang out with Max last night, he told me they are working on a 30 for 30 about the championship Rox team now actually

(cool story bro)

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What year? Both?

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

What if I told you the greatest player in the history of the NBA was not Michael Jordon?

7. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Sounded like he said both.. He was just talking about some stuff he was telling them in the interviews

Can't wait till they complete it and air it!

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Just a little perspective on how good of a player Vernon Maxwell was:

James Harden just scored a career high 50 points and the 'clutchfan quote' on the front page is about Mad Max.

Maxwell's career high was 51 if you're counting, but my favorite game was when he prevented these Rockets from what looked like a certain sweep by Charles Barkley, Dan Majerle and Kevin Johnson's Suns with a 34 point performance. Without that 34 point game in game 3 and down 2-0, I promise you our 2 championships would've never happened. Thank you Mad Max, we all owe you our gratitude for what you've done for our favorite team.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please, we got it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Houston-Roc...339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259ff46693

I still have it.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

That was the genesis of Clutch City , the game after were labeled Choke City.
    That was the inception of clutch thinking about created a website named clutchfans and naming himself Clutch

That was right

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They did (I ATTENDED a game live where they did, vs Seattle)

They were even letting Maxwell be a main playmaker with ball in his hands to appease him

We know what happened afterward...but it was attempted couple times

12. cruwinas_lawona

I really liked him. Seattle had no chance against Bulls, I wonder how it had looked with Rockets. But 72 wins Bulls were good. I watched every game, traveled to other cities (cause ticket prices in for home games were way too rich for my blood). Old times :)

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

14. woket

woket Member

Wow. What a treat!

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Brilliant interview, damn near literally brought tears to my eyes. I just wanted to jump over and say Max, don't shut Houston out anymore, you are loved and appreciated man. Truly amazing piece there and it really took me back to those days. Thanks Clutch.

16. Otis 33 My Man!

Otis 33 My Man! New Member

Great interview. Max was a beast. Like others I started reminiscing and got me thinking about this years team.
    I don't know. I just don't "see" it in this years roster. Every member of those championship teams played an important role. Every series. Every game. That being said we have not started the playoffs yet with this group but it's going to take somebody other than Harden to show up. Like last year it's going to take somebody other than Dwight to show up.
    Again Clutch. Great interview.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That was my favorite game too... his last truly "great" game as a Rocket.

They were down going into halftime, but I disctinctly remember Doug Collins (who was doing the color for TNT) saying "They need to get this deficit to within 10... they don't need to panic... they had this Phoenix team down big in each of the first two games, and they can certainly win this one."

And low and behold, Maxwell scores 31 SECOND HALF POINTS, and they run away with it. The next game, they withstand the KJ super-dunk highlight (that the Suns foolishly "honored"), and the Rockets win that game as well.

1 person likes this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

A really nice interview, I'm glad I didn't miss it. Mad Max looks like he can still ball. Good to see a happy interview from #11.

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

This cannot be stated enough. It's a little like the end of 25th Hour...It was all so close to never happening.

Even missing '95, Vernon was in so many respects the heart and soul of Clutch City. He was the incendiary spark that started the flame that grew so hot.

If anyone ever has leads on getting any of those game tapes (ie. 1994 Phoenix game 3), you have my attention.

20. LAM

LAM Member

Every team could use a guy like Max to just scare the crap out of the other teams. Is there anybody like him around in this league anymore? Heck I even miss Charles Oakley on this team, he was almost 60 y.o. when he got here.
    Mad Max was Ron Artest before Artest went Ron Artest on the stands. The legend of Mad Max will only grow among long time Rockets fans and really appreciate the meaning of "no fear". This team right now could use someone with his attitude,who backs it up. Ha, Kobe wouldn't even try any crap with Dwight(maybe). :)