1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Archives of Houston Sports Radio Shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lockmat, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lockmat

lockmat Member

Hey everyone,

I've been listening to sports radio since I was in middle school, about 20 years ago.

I'm really interested to compare how sports radio has changed over the years and want to listen to an old Rich and Charlie show or even from Lance and John. I would say Jim Rome, too, but I think the only thing that has changed with him was now he respects soccer and nascar.

So my question is...does anyone know where I can find archived radio shows, specifically in Houston? I asked Lance once on twitter, said he had some but would not share.

2. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Mainly its gone from sports radio to all NFL radio all the time.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can't imagine that would be of any economic or even administrative value to anyone involved, particularly once the specific talent left the station.

5. conquistador#11

it went from good analysis mixed with fun to a bunch of cowards who just go with what everybody is getting worked up on in the interwebs. scared cowards.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lance is a joke. Zero basketball knowledge. All egg ball talk and lame ass jokes

7. SuraGotMadHops

John and Lance in the mornings from their old 610 days (not 1560) had to be my favorite show in Houston sports radio. There was no Texans yet, so they had to cover all the area sports. TONS of Astros and Rockets talk, with a good amount of national sports sprinkled in.

Early mornings driving to Klein Oak High School with John and Lance, those were the days. The Texans came along and just dominate everything now. I like the Texans and all, but I'd like to hear at least some Rockets discussion for crying out loud, after all, that is the best run team we have in this town!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

At least he knows Houston and Football. He's paid to talk those two things. Whereas other stations push guys like John McClain who are paid to understand football yet know nothing about it.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I started listening a lot back in 2005 when the Astros made their run to the world series. We did have Texans back then but John & Lance was so much more enjoyable back then because there was a good mix of Stros/Rockets/Texans. Now Lance is 100% devoted to Football talk and John is on 1560 talking about god knows what, everytime I turn on 1560 I couldn't care less about what their talking about. It's a peice of **** sports station.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

And don't forget about horse racing. I haven't been even a semi-regular Jim Rome listener in years now, but it seems like every time I've randomly tuned into his show in recent years, he's always going on about the horses he owns and re-telling the story about how he became a horse racing convert.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Been wanting to bump up the local sports radio thread but this will do.

Josh Innes will be a guest with Lance on the morning show at 8. I will probably not listen.

I like the beef with Lance and Nick Wright. Makes for entertaining radio.

I'm not huge on Lance anymore, but I have his back. The hell with Nick Wright. and John Lopez.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I got a new car stereo right around the World Cup final last year, but I neglected to get an antenna adapter (Honda is weird) that would fit the stereo, so for about 9 months now, my car has been radio-less.

As one of the more sports radio obsessed people on this board, I think that speaks volumes about what I think of the current state of what's available right now. There isn't a single good pair/group on radio at the moment.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think Meltzer and Payne are really good.

I agree that there's too much football talk these days. I love the Texans but the Astros and rockets are just as important to me. Obviously most of the public cares only about football, but sometimes the host needs to steer the ship.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I still listen to Lance and Adam occasionally in the morning, but if it isn't football talk, Lance is clueless. He knows absolutely nothing about the Rockets and then constantly incorrectly corrects Adam (who is just about the only guy who pushes Rockets talk on the radio anymore). Lance seems to be in a pissy mood a lot lately and basically just talks down to Adam who I have started to feel bad for.

But Houston still has Matt Thomas who is the best in the business imo

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

I used to listen to sports radio a lot but after upgrading work vehicles (now I have an aux cable input) I rarely if ever listen to anything (other than when Morey,Bull, etc.) are on.

It's became way too whiney the last couple of years anyway and I'm glad I don't have to listen to it. The worse show ever is that afternoon show on 610...after the OBrien press conferences on Mondays sometimes I would keep it on there and holy crap that was three of the most boring guys I've ever heard on radio together in my life. They make Charlie Palillo look like he has the charisma of the Rock.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm with you on this one. I used to be a huge Houston sports radio listener, but that's just not the case anymore. Granted, I no longer live in the city, but with all of the online streaming options we have now, that's not really an issue.

For me, it was a combination of things that conspired to get me out of my listening habits. It really started, as many of you guys have mentioned, when Texans talk really started to dominate the conversation. The have pretty much always been the most-discussed local team, but it feels like it just went to another level in 2007 or so.

Second, with the sports radio market being so saturated in the city, the talent has really been spread pretty thin throughout the city. There is no longer one station that I feel like I could stay tuned in to because the quality just isn't there, at least from my perspective.

Finally, and maybe this is more of a sports radio problem rather than a Houston sports radio problem, but it seems to me that most of the shows have become too reliant on taking calls. I tune into a sports radio show, in theory, to hear what the host and his guests have to say on relevant topics, not to hear what Bob in Pearland has to say. No offense to you if your name is Bob and you happen to live in Pearland.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I still remember when Charlie joined KTRH in Houston and callers wanted to run him out of town for acting like a know-it-all and sounding like a boy going through puberty. lol. From what I recall, he was a turning point in Houston sportstalk. He was an encyclopedia of knowledge whereas guys before him (the old school) were the typical guys sitting on barstools talking sports. Man, I still remember the old days on KTRH with Jerry Trupiano and John Breen and Anita Martini and Mike Edmonds on KPRC. Back then John McClain was the man for Oilers info, and I couldn't wait until he was on with the guys on KTRH.

Nowadays sports talk isn't so important to me since I can get sports info from a myriad of sources and probably get it faster without having to wait for 30 minutes of shock jock or fraternity humor to pass.