1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where will Andre Johnson end up?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HouStu_Rocket, Mar 10, 2015.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

At about $6-7 million per season I think the Texans would have been interested as well.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chad Johnson dropped off at a similar age. Marvin Harrison's last good year was at age 34.

Age catches everyone, and AJ is at that age where a lot of great receivers fall off. Most aren't Jerry Rice who was effective through 40.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I just hope he doesn't become the Chandler Parsons of the Texans.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Is Chandler Parsons a sure hall-of-famer?
    Does Chandler have any Rockets' records?
    :confused:

[I have moar]

Chandler is no Andre. BUT... Andre, just like any other former player, is now an enemy. :eek:

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

The Colts are our sibling / best friend now?

We thought we were going to pay Johnson too much, versus his production, right? That's why we let him go? This isn't a LeBron James-to-Miami situation, or even a Parsons-to-Dallas situation. Done with little fanfare, this is the most tame "our treasured player goes to our rival" situation that I've seen in sports for a while.

Obviously I don't want to Colts to win, since we're in the same division. But to wish injury on him (like some posters) or to want to see him fail miserably (like some posters) just because he left us when he's been nothing but class his entire career here, speaks loudly about the Texans fans on this board.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Parsons was loved here in Houston but got to Dallas (a rival in more ways than one) and started talking bad about Houston. That is what I mean.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm fairly certain this is the second time you've said this and it simply isn't true. The Texans currently rank 15th out of 32 teams in available cap space. And they have easy mechanisms to generate more, if needed. They were able to extend JJ Watt (which people tend to forget), resign their three most important free agents, bring in a quality back-up QB and, again, they still have money to sign free agents.

What is screwed up about the Texans' cap? They have $10.5MM in dead money - but $7.3MM of that is Andre Johnson.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So let me get this straight: The Colts sign two old guys to their offense, an older edge pass rusher and now they can win the AFC?</p>&mdash; Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/576020710713348096">March 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you taking into account our own free agents we may want to sign? We have 9 with 50% playing time.

Just from the report below we dont have much space but will have to do our work through contract flexibility and the draft. Basically Kubiak left a 2-14 team with little cap space. Can't blame B'ob for that, though I can blame him for the draft

http://overthecap.com/texans-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't get it either. Of the guys they picked up they'll be lucky to have more than 1 legitimately productive season out of any of them. The Colts have never really known how to spend money in FA.

13. Hey Now!

Huh? We've already either signed/or let walk our free agents. Yes, they're included.

Why are you quoting/using a nearly two-month old article? People are continually updating the Texans' cap in real time. They're ranked 15th *as of this very minute.* And have at least two guys (JJo and Graham) that could net them $10MM more, if needed.

They are not in great shape, cap-wise - but they're not screwed, either. They're in average/above-average shape.

14. Mr. Clutch

Not in great shape. I'm agreeing there. Screwed was too strong word by me perhaps.

Basically my point is we have several holes and not much capspace to fill them with. Going to need a good draft.

The conclusions of the article are the same as the moves we made were predicted. Hopefully they do an updated analysis.

15. Hey Now!

They extended JJ Watt's contract; re-signed the consensus best CB on the market; re-signed a starting RT; re-signed a likely starting QB; signed a competent back-up QB; signed a starting FS...

No team can address *every* hole in free agency. But the Texans have had a good start to this offseason. The cap was not really an issue.

16. Mr. Clutch

Almost all resignings.

But I get your point, we can't fill every hole and it's good no one major outside of Andre is leaving. Just pointing out we have a lot of holes relative to our cap position and we're spending most of it in just keeping our good guys.

Really hoping last year's draft can come around.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans signed Revis?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What year is it?

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hope you are not implying that Kareem > Revis. If you are, don't bother posting any dumb analysis or excuses explaining your reasoning. Tells me all I need to know.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Given your posting history it would take me decades to teach you all you need to know.